i found a network and it gives me a number to "enter into my wireless router"

huh?

if someone could do a walkthrough of sorts of the 8530 wifi, that would be awesome
    03-16-10 03:12 PM
    If the wifi has been password protected you'll need the key to get in to the wifi. If the wifi is open, you can just run the set up and connect. The wifi I use @ work is protected and I needed the pass key number to get in.

Edit - from what you described, it sounds like the wifi access is not open or is limited to those who have the pass key to access it. Hospitals usually have open wifi as do some hotels/motels. Drive to a hospital or a hotel/motel in your area and see if you can connect to one that says open. The wifi indidcator in your BB will let you know if it's open or not. If you get that message asking for the key, then it's not open and you need to search again for one that is open or find out what the key is. Places like Starbucks and McDonald's make you pay to get the key so you can use their wifi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by ColdSunshine; 03-16-10 at 03:40 PM.
    03-16-10 03:36 PM
    i found a network and it gives me a number to "enter into my wireless router"

huh?

if someone could do a walkthrough of sorts of the 8530 wifi, that would be awesome
    First let me ask a question - Are you sure it said "it gives me a number to "enter into my wireless router"?

OK, lets cover a couple of basics first:

A protected router is using a protection key so that it can control access to the router. This can be done with WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc. though those three are the most popular. In order to gain access you must match the correct protocol and have the exact key. Now for the curve ball. On newer routers, you also have the option of entering a keycode that is usually found on the side or bottom of the router. This key acts just like the WEP, WPA, and WPA2 codes, but is much simpler to implement. The assumption is that if you have access to the physical router, then the keycode should not be an issue, and allows quick and easy acccess to the network. However, your device must support this new type of keycode in order to use it. If it does not, then you have to utilize the "old" method of WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc.
    03-16-10 09:12 PM
    If I click on
    >Setup
    >Set Up WiFi
    >Scan For Networks>
    (found 2 open)
    >Enter
    >This wireless router supports Wi-Fi Protected Setup. To connect using a PIN (which your Blackberry will generate), click Next
    >Next
    >Provisioning Wi-Fi- Profiles Enter this PIN into your wrireless router (It gives me 5 minutes)

What am I supposed to do???
    03-20-10 08:30 PM
    EXACT issue here. I have wifi (obviously) and WPA2 security on it.

When I try to set up the wifi on my BB I get that same "enter this code into your wireless router" Umm, there's no keypad on my router, and to my knowledge nowhere on the software to enter codes into it to connect to it. It's usually the other way around. When a friend brings their laptop over for the first time I have to enter my passcode (or give it to them to enter) into their computer. So that's why I don't understand why or how I could use the number the BB is generating to connect to my wifi, I should have to enter my code into my phone, and once it "learns it" I should auto connect when ever i'm in rage of it... right??
    03-21-10 09:37 AM
    EXACT issue here. I have wifi (obviously) and WPA2 security on it.

When I try to set up the wifi on my BB I get that same "enter this code into your wireless router" Umm, there's no keypad on my router, and to my knowledge nowhere on the software to enter codes into it to connect to it. It's usually the other way around. When a friend brings their laptop over for the first time I have to enter my passcode (or give it to them to enter) into their computer. So that's why I don't understand why or how I could use the number the BB is generating to connect to my wifi, I should have to enter my code into my phone, and once it "learns it" I should auto connect when ever i'm in rage of it... right??
    Go to your router page and go to the Wi-Fi setup and you should see the arrow symbols indicating your router supports Protected Setup or the field to enter the PIN the phone should give you...

Although as someone using WPA2 I cannot get the router to read the phone even if I have the PIN or the Protected Setup button pushed.
    03-22-10 09:04 PM
    I get this as well, and I am using WPA2 as well. I don't want to remove my security, so how do I get my blackberry to connect?
    06-11-10 01:11 AM
    What do you mean "go to your router page"? Is this on the computer? I'm not really technically proficient when it comes to things like this and I also keep getting the notification to enter a pin into my router. HELP!!! Wifi works on other networks for me but not at my house.
    09-13-10 05:30 PM
    I got mine CURVE 8530 working on home wireless today.

Home Wireless Router: Linksys E1000, WPA2-Personal

This is the way I did:
    1. On my 8530, got "Setup Wi-Fi Network"
    2. "Next"
    3. "Scan For Network"
    4. Click on your home wireless network it found.
    5. BB tells me"This Wireless Router Supports... PIN(Which your Blackberry will generate) click Next.
    6. Enter this PIN into my wireless router: xxxxxxx
    7. Login to my Linksys E-1000, go to "Wireless/Basic Wireless Settings", at "Configure View" choose "Wi-Fi Protected Setup"
    8. I see "2. If your client device has a Wi-Fi Protected Setup PIN number, enter that number here ", enter the pin your 8530 generates, then "Register".
    9. a congratulation message appears.
    10. It takes about 1 minute for my 8530 connects to the network, and I see WI-FI icon on your 8530 desktop turns to white color.
    11. I am connected!
    04-02-11 10:05 AM
    I've searched high and low for this answer and you are the only person who seems to have solved this! Your process works exactly!

Thanks !!!!!!!
    08-04-12 02:09 PM
    okay i cant find the wireless settings. where is that at? the computer?
    11-28-12 05:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD