How sensitive is the internal GPS in the Bold 9700 when using applications like SportyPal to track progress when running?

Once a lock has been acheived can the phone be placed in a pocket or will that mean constant GPS drop outs? Will I be forced to hold the phone for the duration of a run?

Any other recommendations for Apps to track your route, speed, distance and approx calories?

I named SportyPal and have also come across Sanoodi and have used neither.
    Last edited by GaryMo; 06-06-10 at 07:23 AM.
    06-06-10 07:09 AM
    How sensitive is the internal GPS in the Bold 9700 when using applications like SportyPal to track progress when running?

Once a lock has been acheived can the phone be placed in a pocket or will that mean constant GPS drop outs? Will I be forced to hold the phone for the duration of a run?

Any other recommendations for Apps to track your route, speed, distance and approx calories?

I use Endomondo when mountain biking and it does go a bit crazy sometimes even with the phone in my camel pack pocket with a clear view to the sky.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-10 07:49 AM
    Todays technology supposedly has a 20ft variance but a huge multi-billion dollar enhancement is currently in progress that will bring that to 3ft

06-06-10 08:22 AM

I use GPSed on a regular basis to track my cycling. It doesnt compute calories, but that can be done with other apps, and gpsed is free.

I have also used allsport gps.
    BlackBerry App World - AllSport GPS

Its a bit expensive @19.99, and I only took advantage of the free trial, but it was easy to use and kept a running total of your calories burned while exercising.
    06-06-10 08:57 AM
    GoogleMaps does pretty well with walking directions depending on how much service you have.
    06-06-10 10:08 AM
    GoogleMaps does pretty well with walking directions depending on how much service you have.
    Yeah, I am willing to admit to feeling like a kid on xmas when I got my first smartphone, 8820. I couldn't stop tracking myself as I walked around inside my apt and when I walked across the complex to do laundry, swimming, etc.
    It did only last for a week or so, so I am at least partially sane.
    06-06-10 10:49 AM
    Yeah, I am willing to admit to feeling like a kid on xmas when I got my first smartphone, 8820. I couldn't stop tracking myself as I walked around inside my apt and when I walked across the complex to do laundry, swimming, etc.
    It did only last for a week or so, so I am at least partially sane.
    LOL I used to do the same thing!
    Where ever I would go, I would try
    and see if my GPS could find me
    06-06-10 11:35 AM
    I use Bodies in Motion GPS Training Log free for BB's. Seems to work fine for walking and cycling. You can crop out stops and errant GPS signals once loaded to the website.
    06-06-10 04:30 PM
    If you've ever used a GPS app for BlackBerry, some of them show your current speed, and the delay is a fraction of a second. Some quick math and you can see its very accurate and you would benefit from it. Garmin Mobile app even has ability to optimize for walking/biking/etc.

06-06-10 06:17 PM
    I have tried SportyPal and Endomondo, but couldn't start any exercise with Endomondo. So far on BB 8900 sportypal works just fine, might be not 100 % accurate, but still for GPS on a phone it's satisfiable
    For cycling i get an gps coverage, put the phone in my pocket, and enjoy
    BlackBerry - SportyPal Forum
    06-10-10 06:58 AM
    For cycling i get an gps coverage, put the phone in my pocket, and enjoy
    That's great to hear - thanks.
    06-10-10 07:51 AM
    Well, I use BIM Active (Free in the BB App World). I use it to track my hikes, it calculates calories and such.

I fire the program up, and once it starts recording, you can hit "Call End" and it will run in the background letting me use Ubertwitter, Facebook, Phone calls... Typically, I drop the BB the phone pocket on my cargo shorts, or in the fton pouch of my fanny pack (Both are really thin Cloth) and it does just as good as a friend of mines Garmin he straps to his wrist.

Here's my "BLOG" they set up for free on the website to post your activity to:
    WolfmanRobby

It's got presets for Running, Walking and Cycling as well a s "General" activity... not sure what that one does.

Anyway, you get a lot for free, so check it out.
    06-10-10 09:02 AM
    Looks good Robby, I'll have a look for it now on App World.

Thanks.
    06-10-10 09:22 AM
    Oh, and on a couple of those Hikes, I was able to fire up "CacheBerry" and do some Geocaching while BIM Active was running in the background. It shared the GPS with Cacheberry and Google Maps, no problem.
    06-10-10 11:01 AM
    I've just restarted cycling, and I am using Endomondo as well. I drove a recent route, and the distance was accurate to the tenth of a mile.

06-10-10 11:41 AM
    I've just restarted cycling, and I am using Endomondo as well. I drove a recent route, and the distance was accurate to the tenth of a mile.

how long did it take for the download link to be sent to you? i've been waiting for 2 hours for their txt. so far nothing.
    06-24-10 02:37 PM
    I have tried a lot of BB GPS apps for running and cycling and I have a couple favorites. EveryTrail puts great maps of your rides/runs on their website a minute after you finish and has never failed when inside my back shirt pocket when cycling. I used it on a few 100 mile rides. GPSed also makes maps but the maps don't look as good. On ordinary runs I use GPSLogger set to vibrate for 20 seconds every mile, and I just carry the phone. It also draws a line showing my course, so I can see where I am going, even though the line is not drawn on a roadmap.
    06-24-10 04:43 PM
    I created a new app for just this, BBSpeedOMeter. loads of functions (links below)

speed, distance, average speed, max speed, gradient, elevation, max elevation, total meters climbed, profile graph, integrated maps and much more.

also anyone who buys before version 3 comes out get a free upgrade to version 3, its also half price till the end of this month at the moment. $2.49

BBSpeedOMeter - Sports & Recreation BlackBerry Apps

BBSpeedOMeter - Sports & Recreation BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store
    07-23-10 08:01 AM
    screen always on function also available on bbspeedometer if you want to mount to your handle bars like i do. 3 hours display always on usually uses about 15 to 20% battery for me on a bold9700 which i think is good, thats 15+ hours on one charge. havent tested yet but i would imagine with the screen timming out youd get double that.

version 3 will have:

integration with twitter/facebook etc.
    output to google earth,
    ghost(race) previous time on a route (split screen speed/avg speed/time).
    and more
    07-23-10 08:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD