Hi guys; I was wondering: how secure is the blackberry? Lately I've been thinking a lot about smartphone security and I see things like Paris Hilton's blackberry getting hacked and then stories about the Indian government being unable to hack the blackberry or something, so it seems to run the gamut. How secure is a blackberry anyway? I've got the firewall on and it's set to the strongest level, content protection, password, etc. Can the thing still be hacked?
    07-09-08 11:36 AM
    Very unlikely that you would ever be hacked. RIM having a background in developing business end products have a very secure platform.
    07-09-08 11:45 AM
    hey! really do not think this happening pretty soon. as a fact India almost slammed the BB service since according to them they find it a threat to there national security since e-mails, etc can not be intercepted. the only unsecured part is when say an e-mail is in transit to the RIM servers from the source mail server - after that a solid security infrastructure kicks in... that imho.
    07-09-08 11:50 AM
    Paris hilton had problems with her SIDEKICK getting hacked. And her phone numbers got out. That was a few years ago, unless I missed this new bb thing?? I don't think u would need to worry abt hackers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Its all about privacy. In the case of BIS, everything operates on a public network. Data from your phone to your carrier is encrypted, but ultimately your carrier is communicating with the Internet, which isnt exactly the pinnacle of a secure environment. The odds of somebody intercepting your data, or worse, compromising the different systems you access, are much higher. I dont want to scare anyone though: BIS is typically more secure than accessing the Internet from home using an ISP, and is WAY more secure than using WiFi or BlueTooth.
    If you search the forums for bes vs bis you will find how protected you are. I think they do a good job of explaining it in there. Thats where I hijacked this from.
    The three North American leader were meeting this Spring when half a dozen high level diplomatic BlackBerrys were stolen from under the watchful eye of the Secret Service.

It is common practice to park the devices outside of the meeting rooms while high level meetings are in progress.

It took less then a hour for security to review the video evidence and apprehend a minor Mexican official trying to board a plane.

All of the BlackBerrys were recovered, but, the hour was enough time out of sight to raise security concerns.

It is good enough for the Presidents and Prime Ministers.
    07-09-08 12:51 PM
    Triple DES encryption. BlackBerry is the (public) US government standard, and the only device cleared by my large corporation to connect to the corporate e-mail system wirelessly.

The important question is this: do you really consider yourself important enough for someone to bother?
    07-09-08 01:38 PM
    What does the firewall do on a blackberry? I mean you have emails coming in and also push content, does the firewall interrupt this??? I have not turned it on yet and no I'm thinking I should?
    07-09-08 01:57 PM
    Paris hilton had problems with her SIDEKICK getting hacked. And her phone numbers got out. That was a few years ago, unless I missed this new bb thing?? I don't think u would need to worry abt hackers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    She is also an 1d10t, as well, so...
    07-09-08 02:07 PM
    I've never heard of any problems with security. And like one of the previous posts. I'm just a lowly peon not worth the trouble. I've never even heard of viruses. BIS is good JuJu. Happy BB'ing. =8')
    07-09-08 02:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD