It's very simple in my eyes. RIM needs to do ONE thing and ONE thing only. Release a CONSUMER Blackberry device. Forget about anything corporate with this phone. People can stick to buying Blackberry's other phones they have to offer.

Take the Torch for example. Touch screen and keyboard.
    Upgrade the camera to a comparable HD camera phone from iPhone and Androids.
    Put in google android.
    Keep blackberry messenger (the reason why many consumers are hanging on / hooked to the blackberry device)
    Release an API for developers to develop great apps.

This would phone would be ideal for the consumer who wants a blackberry device but doesn't care about all the corporate do-dads the blackberry has to offer.

Would it be really that hard for RIM to do something like this? It's ONE stinking phone they would have to make to make everyone happy.
    08-23-10 03:44 PM
    What's the point? If a consumer wants the Android platform, he can buy many devices that offer it. Android on a BlackBerry makes as much sense as Android on an iPhone.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    08-23-10 03:54 PM
    IMO RIM doesn't need saving! But to me a perfect device would be the 9650/9700 form factor with a touch screen and trackpad with the guts of an android phone. Faster processor and all the stuff so when os6 and the webkit browser comes it would be as fast as the Android device. I think this would bring back alot of those people that miss the kb from BB. I know this would be enough for me never to think about switching anyways! As of now I know next time around I will be tempted to try an android device even though I am almost certain I would come right back to BB. Its just one of those, I feel like I am missing out, deals!
    08-23-10 03:59 PM
    They need more than a high spec phone. A high spec phone will probably just need battery pulls more often. There's a problem with the core OS. They need to fix that. They also need to fix their SDK to draw developers. The evolution of the smartphone is that it is going to be more like a pocket computer than a super pager.

Here's an interesting article about what's happening to RIM in historical context.

Why the 'Smartphone Wars' Seem So Familiar - PCWorld
    08-23-10 04:17 PM
    They need more than a high spec phone. A high spec phone will probably just need battery pulls more often. There's a problem with the core OS. They need to fix that. They also need to fix their SDK to draw developers. The evolution of the smartphone is that it is going to be more like a pocket computer than a super pager.

Here's an interesting article about what's happening to RIM in historical context.

Why the 'Smartphone Wars' Seem So Familiar - PCWorld
    I guess everyone has their opinion. I have no problem with the os BB offers at all. It's simple and works very well for texting and email. To me the BB os is centered for message (sms,mms,email,bbm) and for phone calls! All imo BB needs is the guts and web browser kit to compete with android and apple. And yes their are no where near what android and apple have as far as a web browsing experience. But who is saying they won't? But to say the whole os is junk just seems more like an iphone owner throwing out a troll type statement! Oh and one more thing I own a (very expensive i might add) apple labtop. I do like it and its nice not worrying about viruses I still end up picking up my wife's Dell for certain email attachments. So by no means does APPLE have everything figured out with the computers or with the magical iphone!
    Last edited by jebulls; 08-23-10 at 04:31 PM.
    08-23-10 04:29 PM
    The wireless wars are every bit as heated as the PC wars -- except that they are transpiring at Internet warp speed. If history is any guide, RIM will become an also-ran in the consumer and business smartphone market; Apple will enjoy a steady revenue stream from the iPhone; and Google's Android will basically take over everything else, if for no other reason than because it's everywhere else.
    Thanks for that interesting link.

The article is right on, we are seeing the same movie play out at Warp speed.

A totaly media oriented BlackBerry is an interesting idea. No BIS, no ongoing service revenue, but perhaps "The Crusher" code, as rumored in the BlackPad, will be a worthy successor to Sun Java VM.

08-23-10 04:30 PM
    How to save RIM, the blackberry ...

RIM does not need your saving. There were around before the other BB wannabe's and will be around long after the others are gone!
    08-23-10 05:01 PM

RIM does not need your saving. There were around before the other BB wannabe's and will be around long after the others are gone!
    Lol. Wow! This must be a blackberry forum that I'm reading

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-10 06:15 PM
    But to say the whole os is junk just seems more like an iphone owner throwing out a troll type statement!
    Oh please. No OS in 2010 should require battery pulls. The battery pulls are a symptom of an OS that is not scaling well. As more features get tacked on, the OS has to do more, but the current BB OS has too much legacy code. They need to abandon it and start new with something that can scale over the next decade or so. Apple did it with OSX, for the same basic reason.
    08-23-10 06:35 PM

People used to say the same thing about Palm.
    08-23-10 06:38 PM
    Oh man! Thems fightin words for the blackberry faithful Too funny.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-10 06:44 PM
    I was just on my TX! Yahdice actually . . . keep it charged and syncd.
    08-23-10 06:45 PM
    I work with engineers from age 25-65. 90% with smart phones under the age of 30 have an iPhone or Android. The 30-40 age range used to be all Blackberry but every week I meet someone who switched. The older groups usually do not care. If work supplies them with a BB then that is what they use. The company that I work for recently started allowing iPhones and Android devices to hook up to the exchange server. For those on AT&T we can save the company $ because we don't need extra Exchange plans. Regular $15, $25 or old $30 data plans work fine. Managers are quickly realizing this coat savings.

Basically, I see RIM losing ground every day as companies start giving employees options.
    08-23-10 06:52 PM
    I work with engineers from age 25-65. 90% with smart phones under the age of 30 have an iPhone or Android. The 30-40 age range used to be all Blackberry but every week I meet someone who switched. The older groups usually do not care. If work supplies them with a BB then that is what they use. The company that I work for recently started allowing iPhones and Android devices to hook up to the exchange server. For those on AT&T we can save the company $ because we don't need extra Exchange plans. Regular $15, $25 or old $30 data plans work fine. Managers are quickly realizing this coat savings.

Basically, I see RIM losing ground every day as companies start giving employees options.
    I read alot of people that make the switch and come right back to bb too. When it comes down to it I think people will come back to RIM if they get there act together with a browser! Not all now I am not trashing Android by no means!
    08-23-10 07:10 PM
    Oh please. No OS in 2010 should require battery pulls. The battery pulls are a symptom of an OS that is not scaling well. As more features get tacked on, the OS has to do more, but the current BB OS has too much legacy code. They need to abandon it and start new with something that can scale over the next decade or so. Apple did it with OSX, for the same basic reason.
    ... I have have this Bold since its release and have yet to do a bat pull! My only complaint is the browser! I love everything else about the phone. In fact I like it so much I can't get myself to try an android device even though I know they have great phones (would never go to an iphone). So for a lot of people they love they os setup and the simplicity of it and how messenger centered it is! Add the guts and the web browser kit to compete with iphones' browser and the 1 phone that apple produces will have a hard time competing. But Android and google are here to stay. Which is a good thing!
    08-23-10 07:16 PM
    I read alot of people that make the switch and come right back to bb too. When it comes down to it I think people will come back to RIM if they get there act together with a browser! Not all now I am not trashing Android by no means!
    I switched 2 weeks ago and I truthfully don't miss my BB at all.
    08-23-10 07:23 PM
    Ha really. BB and Palm can not be compared! For u ... that switched to iphone and android....I don't understand the urge to come back to crackberry and bash these phones! RIM is not going anywhere! They are a web browser away from having in alot of peoples mind a perfect phone! They have by far the kb out there! I agree, would I by a storm 2 over an android device....no way. But some people just can not type fast and accurate with a touch screen, myself included! I wish i could because I would be on the android ship but I text 40 plus texts in a day and 10 emails a day and I can type as fast on my BB as I can on a computer! Maybe with practice u can with a touchscreen too I guess! But still I know if there is a day that I do switch to android I will not be back on cb bashing RIM!
    08-23-10 07:26 PM
    Then why have a seen battery pulls on winmo and resets on iphones?

Every operating requires some sort of reset.

What I resent however, is the constant reboots on blackberries after program installs and deinstalls.
    08-23-10 07:33 PM
    Why do people, who continuously bash RIM/BlackBerry, feel that they need saving? From who, from what? If you don't like what they are doing.....tough. They are gonna keep right on doing business. With or without you.

That's just my take on it.
    08-23-10 07:39 PM
    ... I have have this Bold since its release and have yet to do a bat pull!
    Good for you! Do a search and see how many hits you get for "battery pull." Thousands upon thousands. It's obviously a serious problem. To deny that it is a problem is denying reality.
    08-23-10 07:42 PM
    Then why have a seen battery pulls on winmo and resets on iphones?
    I have no idea about Winmo, but it doesn't happen with any near the frequency with iPhone as it does with BB. It's like comparing Win95 with WinXP. Since I got my most recent iPhone, I have yet to power it off.
    08-23-10 07:46 PM
    Why do people, who continuously bash RIM/BlackBerry, feel that they need saving? From who, from what? If you don't like what they are doing.....tough. They are gonna keep right on doing business. With or without you.

I'm not bashing them. BB has great features, unsurpassed security, great email handling, BBM, great customizations and dozens more awesome things.

All of that on a crappy OS that's so unstable that their best selling app is something that does the battery pulling for you.

I criticize them because RIM should better. If they don't, they'll be a nice footnote I. The history of smartphones as having started out great, but couldn't finish.
    08-23-10 07:53 PM
    I have no idea about Winmo, but it doesn't happen with any near the frequency with iPhone as it does with BB. It's like comparing Win95 with WinXP. Since I got my most recent iPhone, I have yet to power it off.
    iphone has issues too there bud....but glad you like ur iphone now go back to TIPb! It is people like you who push people away from trying other phones because you make them sound so perfect that it is obvious you are not being truthful! Since you are on a BB website type in Unhappy iphone user back home with my Bold! Lots of people also have tried an iphone and not liked it. Goes both ways! Later troll
    08-23-10 07:54 PM

Thank you!! I am a BB user and have no problem with android either! Competition is a good thing! When you throw a legit comment like this out I feel like asking more about your droid and how you like it! But when trolls are on here for the sole purpose of trashing BB its like why?
    08-23-10 07:57 PM
    Thank you!! I am a BB user and have no problem with android either! Competition is a good thing! When you throw a legit comment like this out I feel like asking more about your droid and how you like it! But when trolls are on here for the sole purpose of trashing BB its like why?
    To tell you the truth I miss my BB lol. I have another upgrade coming up and will be using it on a BB.
    08-23-10 08:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD