Here it is March 25th and we still have not had any carrier roll out of 10.3.1xxx. This is plane sad and needs to be changed. Hey BlackBerry how about offering the update through BlackBerry Link and stop agreeing to letting the U.S. Phone carriers dictate updates, hell their not doing you any favors with selling phones anyway. Well I guess by time we finally get the update the rest of the world will have 10.3.3xxx. How sad!

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 07:14 PM
    Toodeurep likes this.
    03-25-15 07:31 PM
    It seems like the American carriers have abandoned BlackBerry. Maybe try another method to update your phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 07:42 PM
    Ya. It's pretty telling. I've learned over the years to put zero stock in what the company announces, particularly when they have tepid carrier support here in the US. I've been burned as a shareholder and a PlayBook customer. For example, TH lied about bb10 device sales, telling people that they were great, unprecedented. I couldn't wait and just installed 10.3. I'm glad I did, but there are many who won't install links. It's telling about the company's current position. Kind of depressing.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 07:49 PM
    Ya. It's pretty telling. I've learned over the years to put zero stock in what the company announces, particularly when they have tepid carrier support here in the US. I've been burned as a shareholder and a PlayBook customer. For example, TH lied about bb10 device sales, telling people that they were great, unprecedented. I couldn't wait and just installed 10.3. I'm glad I did, but there are many who won't install links. It's telling about the company's current position. Kind of depressing.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, things aren't trending in the right direction. We will find out more when they report on Friday.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 07:55 PM
    Haha pretty funny Bla1ze.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 08:20 PM
    The OP is very accurate about the OTA updates not being available here in the the USA where the brand is all but dead.

I have installed the leaks, but as for the consumer who is not tech savvy, they are hosed and nobody to blame but the folks up there in Waterloo, period.
    03-26-15 04:25 AM
    This was T-Mobile's last response to me on Twitter regarding availability of 10.3.1:
    How sad still no update in U.S. market.-img_20150326_074333_edit.png

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 06:59 AM
    Considering the problems they had with the last update, I'm ok with it.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 07:04 AM
    This was T-Mobile's last response to me on Twitter regarding availability of 10.3.1:

Posted via CB10
    Stock company answer. AT&T has a similar one.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 11:19 AM
    I say abandon American Carriers altogether and buy unlocked phones and not the subsidized ones they offer and you could of had your update already!
    03-26-15 11:29 AM
    I say abandon American Carriers altogether and buy unlocked phones and not the subsidized ones they offer and you could of had your update already!
    Anyone willing to update via autoloader can do so, regardless of whether or not they bought their phone through a carrier. The issue is that most normal end users are not going to take this route. They will wait for the update to be pushed to their phone, because that is now the established norm. Only "enthusiasts" such as ourselves are going to bother checking CB for autoloaders, never mind Sachesi, blitz files, etc.

I won't call them "leaks" because they're only leaks until some carrier releases them, at which point they're official OS releases. But whatever they're called, the vast majority of end users don't want to have to do anything more than tap an "install" button and wait a few minutes.
    03-26-15 11:38 AM
    Here it is March 25th and we still have not had any carrier roll out of 10.3.1xxx. This is plane sad and needs to be changed. Hey BlackBerry how about offering the update through BlackBerry Link and stop agreeing to letting the U.S. Phone carriers dictate updates, hell their not doing you any favors with selling phones anyway. Well I guess by time we finally get the update the rest of the world will have 10.3.3xxx. How sad!

Posted via CB10
    Who do you propose should support the phones sold by the American carriers? It's no different from non-Nexus Android devices. BlackBerry cannot afford a big enough tech support department to cover the entire United States.

The arrangement is that the carriers provide the support, and in turn must test and train on the OS they are required to support.

What would be the alternative for a relatively small company like BlackBerry?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    03-26-15 11:43 AM
    Why no update in the U.S.? See below.

BlackBerry hates America!
    03-26-15 01:24 PM
    Why no update in the U.S.? See below.

BlackBerry hates America!
    LOL. Everyone seems to have forgotten this.

Z30something
    03-26-15 01:39 PM
    In the netherlands also no update i find it kind of sad, when you buy a Phone you should get updates! before With my S3 i always get Android Updates

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 01:53 PM
    I'm in the US on Tmobile and I got the update just fine via the settings/software update! I also didn't buy my phone from Tmobile either..lesson learned to all..BUY YOUR PHONES DIRECTLY FROM BLACKBERRY OR AMAZON AND YOU WILL GET YOUR UPDATES THE DAY THEY ARE RELEASED!

Posted on my New BlackBerry Classic
    03-26-15 01:54 PM
    My Z10 is locked to AT&T, on contract, and I've had some version of 10.3.1 on my phone since last October.

Locked or unlocked, on contract or not, it doesn't matter. You don't HAVE to wait on AT&T for anything if you really want 10.3.1, or any version of BB10, for that matter.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 02:49 PM
    No as long as you don't have a corporate device that is locked by the BES Admin... there really is no reason not to update your device on your own. Other than the lack of desire or "guts" to mess around with installing a leaked OS. While I think there are a large number of people here willing to do it, I don't believe that is the majority of BB10 users. Someone had posted some info from I think their App, and back in Nov/Dec there were still a few 10.1 devices registering. The number of 10.3 users (leakers) was pretty small.
    03-26-15 02:59 PM
    Anyone willing to update via autoloader can do so, regardless of whether or not they bought their phone through a carrier. The issue is that most normal end users are not going to take this route. They will wait for the update to be pushed to their phone, because that is now the established norm. Only "enthusiasts" such as ourselves are going to bother checking CB for autoloaders, never mind Sachesi, blitz files, etc.

I won't call them "leaks" because they're only leaks until some carrier releases them, at which point they're official OS releases. But whatever they're called, the vast majority of end users don't want to have to do anything more than tap an "install" button and wait a few minutes.
    I was going to say exactly the same thing it doesn't matter if you bought it through a carrier or not you can still upload with an autoloader, I just don't feel comfortable doing so, it's never entirely optimized to work well with your carrier. I would rather wait for the official release but that idea is quickly changing as I find US BlackBerry owners more and more neglected by US carriers.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 06:36 PM
    I was going to say exactly the same thing it doesn't matter if you bought it through a carrier or not you can still upload with an autoloader, I just don't feel comfortable doing so, it's never entirely optimized to work well with your carrier. I would rather wait for the official release but that idea is quickly changing as I find US BlackBerry owners more and more neglected by US carriers.

Posted via CB10
    I don't really believe in that whole "optimized for your carrier" thing. I think they just test them, and report back the same bugs we talk about on the forums, then BB sends another build until the carrier is happy. If anything, carrier bloatware is the only thing that would be added. And even that is pretty light these days.

I've run non-AT&T OSs (leaks and other carrier releases) on not just my Z10, but my Torch 9800 (OS 6) before that, and my Pearl 8100 (OS 4.1 and 4.5) before that.

So far, I have not broken AT&T's mobile network - going back to around 2008 when I discovered all the other OSs that were newer for my 8100 than what AT&T had for it. And, I never had and still don't have any issues using those devices on AT&T's network.

Although, to be fair, AT&T did provide one of the last OS 4.5 builds made by BlackBerry (still going by RIM at that time) before they stopped support for those devices altogether. Just as AT&T has one of the last 10.2.1 builds for the BB10 devices right now. I don't think there is much out there beyond 3337. Maybe a few more builds, but nothing of significance.
    03-26-15 07:07 PM
    I don't really believe in that whole "optimized for your carrier" thing. I think they just test them, and report back the same bugs we talk about on the forums, then BB sends another build until the carrier is happy. If anything, carrier bloatware is the only thing that would be added. And even that is pretty light these days.
    And the carrier bloatware is typically added after the autoloader is finished, when you set up the device, when it tells you to "Wait while we install updates to your system" or some such thing. At least I think that's what's going on.
    03-27-15 07:26 AM