I work for rogers as a Blackberry tech support agent, and im just posting these instructions which i use on how to reload the OS 6.0 BB software.

OS reloads can usally fix: freezeing, JVM/APP Errors, Charging problems, etc...

Please ensure that your Blackberry device is not connected to the computer until prompted. If you have Blackberry

Desktop Manager installed in your desktop computer then skip to Step 2.

Step 1: Installing the Blackberry Desktop Manager
    1) Click to download Blackberry Desktop Manager 6.0
    2) When prompted, select Save and save it in your Desktop.
    3) Double-click on the file you saved to start the installer.
    4) Select the Language and click OK
    5) Click Next to begin the Installation.
    6) Select country or region then click Next.
    7) Accept terms and conditions then click Next.
    8) Leave the installation location to default and click Next.
    9) Check whether or not you want the Blackberry Desktop Software shortcut on your desktop and click Install.
    10) Once installation is complete, Click Finish to start the Blackberry Desktop Software.

Step 2: Backup the Data from your Blackberry

1) Open Blackberry Desktop Manager 6.
    2) Connect your device to the computer.
    3) If there is an update for your device, a window will pop up with "An updated version of Blackberry Desktop software

is available. Do you want to install the Update?� Click Update Later.
    4) Click on Back up now button near the middle of the screen.
    5) A new window will appear, Select Full for backup type then click Back up. (Please wait upto 30 minutes for full backup)

Step 3: Reloading the Operating System through Blackberry Desktop Manager 6.0

1) Click on Device in the top left corner. (Ensure that your BlackBerry is connected and Desktop Manager is open)
    2) Select Update my Device
    3) Click on View other versions.
    4) Select the checkbox that has (currently installed).
    5) Click on Install.
    6) A new window will pop up with Data Backup and Email Notifications.
    7) Uncheck Back up device data and Email me when new versions are available.
    8) Click Install update.
    9) A warning message will come up, Click OK.
    10) Your device will begin the reload and may take up to 30 minutes. Do not unplug the USB cable or pull out your

battery while it is performing the operating system reload.

IMPORTANT PLEASE NOTE: Utilize the Blackberry as is for the next 24 hrs and don't restore any information on the unit.If a corruption resides on the saved data (backup file i.e. IPD file), the corrupted data will be brought back to the device during the restore process.After the 24 hrs period has passed. Please proceed with Step 4

Step 4: Performing a Selective Restore

A) To restore specific databases in the backup file to your BlackBerry Smartphone, complete the following steps:

1. Open Blackberry Desktop Manager 6.
    2. Connect your device to the computer.
    3. If there is an update for your device, a window will pop up with An updated version of Blackberry Desktop software

is available. Do you want to install the Update? Click Update Later.
    4. Click on Device in the top left corner.
    5. Select Restore
    6. A new window will appear, select the back up file that was created before reloading the operating system.
    7. Under Select Data to Restore, select Select device data and settings.
    8. A smaller window will appear with many checkboxes.
    9. Check any of the databases that you need to be restored. Do not select all the checkboxes as that may cause the

issue to return.
    10. Once all necessary databases are selected, click on the Restore button.
    07-01-11 10:01 AM
    this has been posted countless times...

and it's much easier to just use apploader.exe
    07-01-11 12:48 PM
    What's all that jazz about not restoring any data for 24 hours? LOL

+1 for apploader method, far simpler than all that above, and a simple checkbox is all that's need to either back up data and apps or not.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-01-11 01:04 PM
    this has been posted countless times...

and it's much easier to just use apploader.exe
    Using ...\apploader\loader.exe using the Command prompt or the Windows file system. Many Windows users are not comfortable with the command structure and are better served using BlackBerry Desktop Manager to upgrade or install an OS package.

The same applies to third party utilities like BBSAK or CrackUtil. Those tools do offer some advantages to the more advanced users, but are not as through as Desktop Manager.

the Blackberry as is for the next 24 hrs and don't restore any information on the unit.If a corruption resides on the saved data (backup file i.e. IPD file), the corrupted data will be brought back to the device during the restore process.After the 24 hrs period has passed. Please proceed with Step 4 ...
    I am confused by these instructions. Asking a user to postpone installing their contacts and other data makes no sense to me. If there is a corruption in the data, most often, Backup will fail first. There will be no backup data to restore.
    07-01-11 01:26 PM
    Using ...\apploader\loader.exe requires a Command prompt. Many Windows users are not comfortable with the command structure and are better served using BlackBerry Desktop Manager to upgrade or install an OS package.

The same applies to third party utilities like BBSAK or CrackUtil. Those tools do offer some advantages to the more advanced users, but are not as through as Desktop Manager.

This is a good candidate to update the older instruction set.
    Apploader.exe runs using the GUI. One just needs to double-click on the Loader.exe file.
    pcgizmo#IM and anon(3733516) like this.
    07-01-11 01:31 PM
    Apploader.exe runs using the GUI. One just needs to double-click on the Loader.exe file.
    You caught me red handed. I realized some users will use the Windows File Manager in place of the Command prompt. The original was edited to reflect this.

For clarity, there is no program named Apploader.exe. .../apploader is a subdirectory. The program is Loader.exe.
    07-01-11 01:34 PM
    Using ...\apploader\loader.exe using the Command prompt or the Windows file system.
    how about just browsing to it using Windows Explorer??

C:/ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Apploade r
    07-01-11 01:36 PM
    how about just browsing to it using Windows Explorer??

C:/ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Apploade r
    My turn.

c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader\loader.exe

The point is still valid, these instructions are intended for users that may have limited experience. The BlackBerry Desktop Manger is the best solution for the vast majority of users.
    07-01-11 01:43 PM
    the 24 hour thing we use it to just make sure the device is working properly, and i only get customers to use apploader if the blackberry desktop software wont pick up the device, and blackberry desktop software is the best way for reloading the software, im actually at work writing this in between calls
    Last edited by johnb32xq; 07-01-11 at 03:06 PM.
    07-01-11 03:00 PM

The point is still valid, these instructions are intended for users that may have limited experience. The BlackBerry Desktop Manger is the best solution for the vast majority of users.
    I'm not sure users that have "limited experience" would want to use a method that takes over 24 hours rather than just learn a much more simple way that can be just as easily found on these very same forums.
    07-01-11 03:27 PM
    i have access to Mac Reload instructions and reload for 5.0 desktop, if u want i can post them
    07-01-11 03:58 PM
    The 24 hour thing we use it to just make sure the device is working properly, and i only get customers to use apploader if the blackberry desktop software wont pick up the device, and blackberry desktop software is the best way for reloading the software, im actually at work writing this in between calls

The 24 hour thing is ridiculous. Great first post though, noobie. Thanks for the laughs.

DM is not the best way to reload the OS; Reed can you just delete this entire thread? There's plenty of GOOD posts on how to reload the OS already.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 07-01-11 at 06:19 PM.
    anon(3733516) likes this.
    07-01-11 06:17 PM
    i have access to Mac Reload instructions and reload for 5.0 desktop, if u want i can post them

No, thanks. Again topic covered more than enough.

anon(3733516) likes this.
    07-01-11 06:18 PM
    The 24 hour thing is ridiculous. Great first post though, noobie. Thanks for the laughs.

DM is not the best way to reload the OS; Reed can you just delete this entire thread? There's plenty of GOOD posts on how to reload the OS already.

Your opinion. I get a laugh out of how you think you are superior to everyone else, like you make and design every RIM device or something.
    07-05-11 01:10 PM
    Your opinion. I get a laugh out of how you think you are superior to everyone else, like you make and design every RIM device or something.
    Don't be mad, you're just not very bright, noobie!
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 07-05-11 at 02:05 PM.
    07-05-11 01:14 PM
    Don't pay attention to this [!d!ot].
    I am tech support at Telus and we do exactly as you described. For more savy users yes we suggest apploader\loader.exe or if the software does not detect or recognize the device.
    10-15-12 09:47 PM
    Don't pay attention to this [!d!ot].
    I am tech support at Telus and we do exactly as you described. For more savy users yes we suggest apploader\loader.exe or if the software does not detect or recognize the device.
    WOW, Thanks for digging up a year old post & Name calling. Great first Post..... Or is it..
    10-15-12 10:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD