I honestly thought I would be the last BlackBerry user on earth. Seriously. Every device I had I thought was my favorite one. Each was better than the previous. (9900,Q10,Passport). I must say I have a crack in the armor now. Waiting to see what the Mercury is all about. Absolutely love my Passport but the app issue is finally starting to get to me. I have been contemplating using Cobalts google play store but I am not a techy and feel that it will be a lost effort on my part. I just don't understand all the app patch and tech talk etc etc.

Posted via CB10
    It's not that tough, and works reasonably well for at least some apps. Snap is not working for some reason with 10.3.3, but hopefully soon.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-17 08:39 PM
    I was not planning to ditch my BB10 phone, but after seeing the KEYone in person, I want it!
    JEALOUS of you CB'ers who won!

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-27-17 08:41 PM
    JEALOUS of you CB'ers who won!

Posted via CB10
    If you consider compromising photos of @CrackBerry Kevin winning, then yeah, I'm a winner!
    02-27-17 08:58 PM
    My 13-year-old daughter read the instructions and installed the Play Store on her Z10 in about 3 minutes. All you need is Google credentials, such as a Gmail account, and a basic understanding of English.

The problem now is that fewer and fewer Android apps still run on Jellybean. The most popular apps have already abandoned their older versions.
    And she was able to patch the apps that needed Google Play Services? Wow.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-17 01:48 AM
    Well, we've been thru the battery thing to exhaustion in countless threads. It's really about use case. Take your Priv to a low signal area and use it heavily and you might be surprised at how soon you'll be looking for a charging source. But, maybe not. Those who get, get it. Those who don't, won't. Lol.

The other part of the equation is handset size, and weight. If you go two days with your Priv, and one day is good enough for you, then you are packing around twice the battery you need for your use. Batteries are a BIG part of device weight and size. Of course, once again, if you're ok with Priv's weight and size, then you're also likely to be puzzled by those wishing for smaller, lighter, handsets.

I'm one of a minority who prioritizes compactness. Part of the 9900's charm is its compactness afforded partly by its compact, but tiny, battery. A tiny battery that's tolerable because its swappable. It's also versatile. I can just as easily pop in a 5000mAh battery that has provided FOUR days of normal use endurance. Great for a long weekend at the lake, for example. BUT, when such endurance is not needed, I swap back to smaller, lighter, batteries more efficiently fitted to expected use for a given day.

Again, sort of like "a Jeep thing"... If you have to ask, you probably won't understand... Lol.
    With power banks, swappable batteries are unnecessary. Just pick up a 10,000 mAh power bank and carry it with you. That's 3 full charges for a Priv.

Swappable batteries are a big hassle for manufacturers and users. I've broken access covers and their latches, I'm glad I don't have to do battery pulls anymore.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-28-17 07:39 AM
    And she was able to patch the apps that needed Google Play Services? Wow.

Posted via CB10
    No, she didn't need any apps that required GPS. I'm just talking about installing the Play Store. It's easy, but less and less useful.

02-28-17 07:42 AM
    With power banks, swappable batteries are unnecessary. Just pick up a 10,000 mAh power bank and carry it with you. That's 3 full charges for a Priv.

Swappable batteries are a big hassle for manufacturers and users. I've broken access covers and their latches, I'm glad I don't have to do battery pulls anymore.

Haha... Big hassle like this?

https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-an...ter-batteries/

Your idea of compact wireless mobile device obviously differs from mine. Lol. And that's ok.

Have you actually carried and used a 10K power bank? Daily? Which pocket do you keep it in? How do you orient your phone in a pocket or holster while it's charging from the power bank? How do you keep the wire from snagging on clothing and EVERYthing in sight?? Including the passenger next to you on the bus?? Lol. Do you really enjoy using a WIRED "wireless" device???

I got a powerbank the same day I got my first Classic. Supposedly sized to charge Classic twice... It didn't. Despite occupying almost as much pocket space as a 9900! By month's end, I'd reasoned that carrying a spare 9900 was a more productive use of pocket space. Just reserved embedded battery Classic to backup support status.

That very Classic's battery failed, a few weeks ago. How do you securely wipe a dead classic before sending to strangers for a battery swap? I bought a new Classic and endured all manner of inconvenience. In contrast, battery failed in my 9900 last week. Fixed in less than 3 minutes, including boot up.

The fiberglass OEM battery cover on the 5+yr old 9930 I'm typing this on has endured countless encounters with concrete floors. Lol. The cover typically pops off but has never sheared a prong. Quite a few plastic aftermarket covers have but never the fiberglass OEM. Fwiw.

I'm just supremely glad I CAN pull the battery. That doesn't mean YOU have to be. In the end, embedded batteries are cheapest to implement. Period. As such, we're likely stuck with them. Like it or not. Enjoy your majority status.
    02-28-17 09:21 AM
    I'm considering it more and more with every day going by. BB10 is dead, and it's time to accept it crackberry buddies. If you want to support BlackBerry, buy the KeyOne.

Posted via CB10
    Nope. Still works for me. It is dead when it no longer works for me. Will be a long time.
    02-28-17 04:10 PM
    Nope. Still works for me. It is dead when it no longer works for me. Will be a long time.
    Bluenoser, I thought that you went over to a Lumia Windows phone ?
    02-28-17 08:53 PM
    How do you securely wipe a dead classic before sending to strangers for a battery swap?
    Almost all embedded batteries, would take a novice about an hour to replace.

In the end, embedded batteries are cheapest to implement. Period.
    Embedded batteries offer the largest capacity, if exterior size is maintained. That's why manufacturers use them.

There are positives and negatives to each style, and no need for either to be denigrated. Personally, I like Moto Z approach. Most days the phone's embedded battery is plenty for my needs. When I think it might not be, I stick the removable mod on the back, and rock on. Best of both worlds

Not sure what arguing over battery styles, has to do with whether or not you'll ditch BlackBerry though. How's about we move back on topic.
    02-28-17 10:01 PM
    Bluenoser, I thought that you went over to a Lumia Windows phone ?
    I said I would go to a Windows phone if my BlackBerry phones stopped working.
    02-28-17 10:10 PM
    Almost all embedded batteries, would take a novice about an hour to replace.

Embedded batteries offer the largest capacity, if exterior size is maintained. That's why manufacturers use them.

There are positives and negatives to each style, and no need for either to be denigrated. Personally, I like Moto Z approach. Most days the phone's embedded battery is plenty for my needs. When I think it might not be, I stick the removable mod on the back, and rock on. Best of both worlds

Not sure what arguing over battery styles, has to do with whether or not you'll ditch BlackBerry though. How's about we move back on topic.
    My apologies for slipping off topic. No denigration intended. Different tools for different tasks. In the end, if I ever "ditch" BB, it will be because they no longer make tools optimized for my tasks. Moto Z certainly looks interesting...
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-28-17 11:44 PM
    The battery on my iPhone 5c took 20 minutes to replace I stood there and watched them do it at Maple Electronics in Saskatoon Saskatchewan
    03-01-17 12:02 AM
    I will continue to be a BlackBerrian for sure.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-17 03:58 AM
    I will keep my BB10 Z30s until they no longer function.
    How many Z30s do you still have in your arsenal?

Posted through my  Z30
    03-01-17 09:08 AM
    How many Z30s do you still have in your arsenal?

Posted through my  Z30
    Three
    03-01-17 04:25 PM
    I have both and Android and iPhone for day to day phone/text media, still have a BlackBerry for email

Posted via CB10
    03-01-17 05:27 PM
    Will see. July 2017

Posted via CB10
    What is happening in July 2017?

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    03-11-17 03:59 PM
    What is happening in July 2017?

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    WhatsApp will no longer function on a BB10 device.
    03-11-17 04:03 PM
    I have both the Passport (because I've used a BlackBerry since 2008) and now an iphone7 (which I swore I'd never buy) I've found I like them both and wish I could combine the best of both into one phone. Since that won't happen I have my homescreen and lockscreen on the iPhone looking as BlackBerry as possible with BB wallpaper. Best I can do.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-20-17 03:48 PM
    I'm not going anywhere any time soon

Posted via CB10
    03-24-17 12:35 PM
    Until all my current Passport SE and all 3 PP SEs backups die, i will get a windows phone. I hate google spying android.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-17 03:48 AM
    Not going to ditch it. I want the KeyOne.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-27-17 01:35 AM
    I am probably getting rid of my Passport that I just got a few months ago because I found out that the provider I am using, Cricket, has done an update. With their update, my voicemail functionality stopped working. Long story short, after talking with their customer support people, they said nothing made by Blackberry is supported and they were surprised that everything else on my phone was even working (calls, text, and data). Oh well.....
    04-13-17 04:40 PM
    I have Cricket also but I've not had any problem with voicemail. My friend left me a message just yesterday.

"'Security by obscurity' means 'commercial failure.'" - Confucius
    04-14-17 05:28 AM
104 ... 2345