You need another BlackBerry phone running the same OS as the one you lost. Either get a loaner from your carrier or borrow one from a friend. Make sure your friend does a full backup.

Do a security wipe on the loaner phone and load your backup on it. Then sync or transfer your contacts to your email account and export them as a .csv file. Then wipe the loaner.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 10:23 PM
    I've had another pass at resolving this, driven by discovering that the wifi profile I'm after is also stored on my old 9700. I downloaded desktop manager 4.2, with the idea that the resultant backup wouldn't be encrypted as a result. Didn't seem to work, so I kept pushing and found a resource that explained how the ipd files are structured (headers, databases,records, fields etc) and I think I've isolated the 20 hex codes that I need!
    However, translating to ASCII gives gibberish, although there's a reference to "ascii: \0 ended pure ascii string" which presumably might be different, although I can't find anything that tells me how that might differ from regular ASCII.

Alternatively, the hex may be intended to be decoded into one of the following -

unicode: UCS2-BE (Big Endian)
    lzunicode: like unicode, but have a leading zero byte

Does anyone know how old ipd files were encoded?
    09-19-13 06:56 PM
    As stated above, I'm not aware of any software that can open the new .BBB file format - although we are looking to have phoneMiner support them soon.

If memory serves correctly, there were actually two different types of IPD files (until they were replaced by .BBB) - they were simply .zip files. Inside were multiple database files in RIM's own format.

The original document detailing the IPD format has been removed, but someone done a nice write-up here.
    03-26-14 08:45 AM
    You need BlackBerry Desktop Software v7.x to read the new backup file format (.bbb). Which reminds me that I have to get to work on a forensic tool to parse the new backup files assuming the internal structure has changed.
    04-12-18 04:27 PM
    Hello, how do I find out if it's a .bbb v2 or v3 ? thanks....
    10-28-18 02:39 PM
30 12