I noticed my signal seemed a bit fracked, jumping all over the place, generally unstable. I updated my PRL, and signal is now stable and strong. Do you update your PRL at regular intervals or at all?
    03-23-12 08:10 PM
    I only think to update when someone reminds me, so thanks!
    03-23-12 09:43 PM
    Stupid question.. What is PRL, and how does one update it?
    03-24-12 10:46 AM
    The way I understand it, PRL, stands for Preferred Roaming List and has something to do with the way you phone communicates with cell towers while roaming. To update, go to Mobile/Manage Connections>Mobile Network, then hit the menu button and scroll to and select update PRL.
    03-24-12 11:50 AM
    The way I understand it, PRL, stands for Preferred Roaming List and has something to do with the way you phone communicates with cell towers while roaming. To update, go to Mobile/Manage Connections>Mobile Network, then hit the menu button and scroll to and select update PRL.
    Whoa! I never realized you could do it that way. I'm on VZW, so I've always just done the call *228 thing, and choose "update roaming"
    03-24-12 01:41 PM
    I noticed my signal seemed a bit fracked, jumping all over the place, generally unstable. I updated my PRL, and signal is now stable and strong. Do you update your PRL at regular intervals or at all?
    From what I've seen/heard, anytime you go to/travel to an area that you aren't normally in (i.e. to another state) you should do it, because then your phone will just search for the towers that it is near, rather than searching for the ones in your area you are frequently in, then searching for the next tower. My wife has a cheapo flip phone from VZW, and her signal strength/talking clarity takes a big hit if she doesn't do this each time we travel to a different town (more than 150 miles away from our normal area). My BlackBerry it isn't as noticeable, but I still do it each time we travel out of town (more than 150 miles or so), and again when we come back. That is just what works for me though.
    03-24-12 01:45 PM
    Whoa! I never realized you could do it that way. I'm on VZW, so I've always just done the call *228 thing, and choose "update roaming"
    bggriff25 - I have vzw, and I went to where you said, and hit menu, and I don't have that option. What OS are you on? Could it possibly just be a sprint thing?
    03-24-12 01:49 PM
    I just attempted to update my PRL, and I guess mine gets updated by Verizon automatically since I have a 4GLTE SIM.
    Weird, I miss manually updating it myself.
    03-24-12 01:51 PM
    bggriff25 - I have vzw, and I went to where you said, and hit menu, and I don't have that option. What OS are you on? Could it possibly just be a sprint thing?
    I guess it probably is a Sprint thing since I've been able to do it this way since OS 5.0xxx
    03-24-12 02:37 PM
    I suppose it could be Sprint. I don't know, because I've never been on any other carrier.
    03-24-12 03:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD