Hey guys just a quick question. Been wondering how long people have their phones before selling them on or buying a new one or just becoming fed up of a phone. I usually have mine 6 months to a year before im either bored or just want to chuck the phone out of the window lol

So yeah how long guys?????
    01-29-10 06:54 PM
    Too often. I changed devices eight times last year, so about every month and a half. I changed carriers five times. My New Year's resolution is to stick with the same carrier and have the same device. I haven't really gotten that itch yet and probably won't with the 9700. I must say, that out of the eight phones I had last year, I had the Bold 9000 for nine of those months.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-29-10 07:08 PM
    Well, this one I've had since December of 08. Now previously, I ran through the full contract before I went for a replacement. Now, BlackBerry has reinvented my use of devices, and I am looking to upgrade when the tour 2 releases. This is the first mobile that has sustained my interest for longer than a week. And I'm still learning more about it every week.

01-29-10 07:14 PM
    Same with me i cannot get a mobile to hold my interest at all. Realy want 1 i can stay with for about 2 years, but is never the case. Before i got my curve last week i had an android phone. The software and android applications were nothing short of amazing. Shame about the phone that it was installed on tho otherwise i would of kept it

Going to try and keep my new blackberry now until next january and i hope i do as im on a great pay as you go/prepaid plan as well. Its just when you get paid from work and see a nice shiny new device your itching to buy something lol
    01-29-10 07:19 PM
    Most times in the past phones were kept more than a year. 2009 saw four different phones with the 9000 being longest on the list. 2010 remains to be seen. A new model with 9000 size and 9700 function would be very tempting.

01-29-10 07:20 PM
    Glad to know im not the only 1 who changes phones quite often. At the moment i have quite a collection lol
    01-29-10 07:26 PM
    i change every time something new comes out. i can not hold onto a phone more than 6 months.

I wish there was something that I could actually hold onto and like
    01-29-10 08:18 PM
    I usually tough it out for the whole 2 years of my contract. I've actually been with VZW for 8 years.
    01-29-10 08:43 PM
    I last about six months...

01-29-10 09:17 PM
    Unfortunately, I'm a perfectionist who strives to obtain the absolute best...I change phones soooo much. I'll buy them at full retail and then sell them once I'm bored and move on to the next. Last year, I had a treo pro, touch diamond, touch pro, and instinct...all before July. Then I got my first blackberry (tour) and fell in love with it and RIM. I kept it the remainder of the year. Then I switched carriers at the beginning of the year and got an iPhone 3GS. I had wanted one for like ever. But when I had it for two weeks, I really missed my blackberry. So I bought the 9700. Decided to keep the iPhone though. I'd like to think I can stick with both of these phones for quite a while, especially the 9700. The 9700 is probably the best phone ever...what is there left for me to buy? Has my quest for the perfect device ended? Even when something new comes out, will it be a worthy upgrade? I'll have to wait and see. For now, I'm content. *hugs 9700 and pets 3GS*

01-29-10 10:19 PM
    I change when the phone starts to give me greif. Seems to be every year and a half.
    01-29-10 10:22 PM
    Sadly I fall in the category of "I have to have the latest" and get a new one about every 6 months, next will b the tour 2!

01-29-10 10:37 PM
    2-3 yrs...
    01-29-10 11:39 PM
    lets see i had two of my bb"s(8830, 8830) for like 4 months, had my storm 1 for like a month and had a droid for like 2 weeks ( had to go back to BB, droid was awesome but was going through withdrawal without BB) and now onto my tour which ive had for about 2 months and plan to use it till something comes out this summer(prob going to be a BB), idk im not happy till i literally multiple phones, im deff that guy who uses the 30 day verizon return policy to try diff phones LOL
    01-29-10 11:41 PM
    With respect to BlackBerrys, rarely.

Every new model is a repackaged version of something RIM has already
    produced. Pointless IMO.
    01-30-10 01:07 AM
    I went through 3 phones in 09. Gzone, 8330, and now a 8530. My next phones are going to be the storm 2 and the Palm pre plus. I have two lines so I can have two phones I mean toys at a time. I like my Gzone. I often dunk it in water and slam it on the ground to show how tough it is. I love toys.

01-30-10 02:26 AM
    I had the Storm 1 from Jan-sept '09 then Bold 9000 till now. I swap between them regularly.

01-30-10 04:18 AM
    I used to be really good about hanging onto a phone for 2 years, but then my Pearl took a thirty minute baptism in a 32 ounce cup of Diet Pepsi (it worked afterwards, surprisingly enough!) and I ended up switching carriers because VZW had a giant black hole over my new apartment building, had an iPhone on AT&T for five months before realizing I traded half-cruddy VZW in my apartment for ZERO coverage while I was driving to my hometown, which was scary, so then I moved to T-Mobile and got an 8900 and kept it for like 5 months, which I liked, but then moved back to VZW in August and got the Storm, which has thrown me into a deep pit of phonehatred despair. I'm going to buy the Tour 2 at full retail when it comes out.
    01-30-10 11:27 AM
    Whenever my contract is up and a newer model would be an upgrade. So basically every 2 years.

I'm not one to needlessly blow money on new devices only to be shocked that there aren't incredible new upgrades in features every 3-4 months. I think people who change every couple months and complain RIM's devices don't see squat for changes or innovation are a bit narrow minded. Look back 2 years ago, or even 1 year, and you see a plethora of improvements.

So yeah every 2 years minimum for me. Seems a bit more sensible.
    01-30-10 11:58 AM
    every 12 months or so for me
    01-30-10 01:11 PM
    Every 2 years for me.
    01-30-10 01:13 PM
    I don't think I ever kept a Cell Phone for than a year, specially when I was on PayGo. I had like 8.

My 9000 was the longest at 11 months, I upgraded to 9700.

I don't I will upgrade again since BlackBerries cost way too much. My Dummy phones never went over $200.

01-30-10 01:39 PM
    So glad I'm not the only maniac out there, lol.
    01-30-10 02:02 PM
    idk about every 4-8 months ill change

01-30-10 02:04 PM
    In the past I haven't changed phones all that often because it wasn't really an option. I would keep the same phone (unless I'd done an insurance claim or something and been given a different model). Since I've discovered BlackBerry though, I just crave all the different models. I bought my first BB a year ago, and it was a Pearl 8130. I ended up exchanging that for the Curve 8330. Recently I've become so bored with it, and bought a Pearl Flip 8230 on ebay because I missed SureType and the flip form factor. Now I'm waiting for the release of the Tour 2 (hopefully) next week. I can't upgrade until March, but it'll be good to know it'll be there when I'm ready.

I'd also still like to get a Curve 8530 in Smoky Violet, mostly just for the color. I'm thinking of selling the Curve I have now, along with the two housing kits and all the accessories I have for it, and if I get a decent amount I'll buy the 8530.
    01-30-10 08:28 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD