We use roaming data in Michigan several times per month for day trips. We don't use much at all, so we don't buy the travel packs, as it's normally pretty reasonable as we only use BBM - no internet, email or apps.

Anyway, wondering if a lot of data is used to change BBM profile pic?

I sent one BBM message with the word "test" and 2 others "t" (test) to hubby, and my phone says I used 400 kbs of data more than him, and he sent the exact same messages. By the way, if anyone is wondering why we have to send test BBMs to each other, it's because we don't always connect to the network. We have Rogers, and our phones (only a few months old), are very finicky when switching over. We usually have to take out battery to restart phone, and then they work for roaming.

Anyone know if the phone (Bold 9780) would use a larger amount of data to change pic?

Thanks, Tiger
    10-19-11 04:12 PM
    Your best bet would be to contact your carrier as some only charge roaming for what you actually use while others charge based on a "minimum charge" and round up to the next amount.

As for actual usage, changing your pic would probably account for the 400kbs more since your phone had to send it out to all your users, while his only had to receive yours. This may also be affected if you have some users who update their status constantly throughout the day.

Again, best bet is to contact your carrier to see what you are actually getting charged for.

Hope that helps and if not, sorry
    10-19-11 04:17 PM
    Thanks. That does help!

We figured that it would be the profile pic - but I realized it after I had already done it! Nothing major, and I could have waited until we got home, but it was a cute photo of the kids!

Thanks so much, Tiger
    10-19-11 04:43 PM
    thanks...i was wondering this myself
    10-19-11 06:07 PM
    Did you know that you can get a 1 day data pass from Rogers for just $5 !
    We go cross border shopping all the time and that will run you bbm for the day.

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/ad...0110-_-roaming

Click on the United States then Data Roaming once you are in the link
    10-19-11 08:57 PM
    We use roaming data in Michigan several times per month for day trips. We don't use much at all, so we don't buy the travel packs, as it's normally pretty reasonable as we only use BBM - no internet, email or apps.

Anyway, wondering if a lot of data is used to change BBM profile pic?

I sent one BBM message with the word "test" and 2 others "t" (test) to hubby, and my phone says I used 400 kbs of data more than him, and he sent the exact same messages. By the way, if anyone is wondering why we have to send test BBMs to each other, it's because we don't always connect to the network. We have Rogers, and our phones (only a few months old), are very finicky when switching over. We usually have to take out battery to restart phone, and then they work for roaming.

Anyone know if the phone (Bold 9780) would use a larger amount of data to change pic?

Thanks, Tiger
    Check my post above this one as there are one-day Rogers US data passes available now
    10-20-11 12:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD