I bought a blackberry last week and love it, but the plan I got with bell had no data plan so have not used it for internet/email at all yet (I mainly purchased it for texting). I was thinking about getting a data plan for a couple of months to see that its like but its very expensive ($25 for 4mb and $12 for each additional mb or something) is 4mb alot of data? How quickly will I use that up? Is it worth it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    01-13-08 06:59 PM
    Well, it varies by person.

I have use 24MB so far this month and I have 5 more days left in my billing cycle.

That is mainly emails, web browsing, IMs, and maybe a GPS trip or two.

I haven't use it this month for streaming video or music.
    01-13-08 07:09 PM
    Wow, I must really be an addict. I think I used like 145MB on my last bill, but for me it's unlimited.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-08 07:11 PM
    you know how much (on average) it is per web page? because i would almost never use the email / gps / video and music streaming, just to browse the internet every once and a while to pass time
    01-13-08 07:14 PM
    Wow, I must really be an addict. I think I used like 145MB on my last bill, but for me it's unlimited.

Your my idol!
    01-13-08 07:14 PM
    you know how much (on average) it is per web page? because i would almost never use the email / gps / video and music streaming, just to browse the internet every once and a while to pass time
    It varies. Can't really say.
    01-13-08 07:16 PM
    what is like a min to a max? any idea?
    01-13-08 07:18 PM
    It varies. That is like trying to estimate how much water you are going to use in a month to estimate your bill.

You need to use it first and then you can predict. You can't predict for everybody.
    01-13-08 07:22 PM
    If the page is just text it might just be a few KB, but if it has any pics or a lot of extensive layout it could easily be 150KB per page. Hope that helps a little bit.

01-13-08 07:22 PM
    I lost count of my usage, probaby over 150 mb a month, but thank goodness
    I have wifi on my 8320 . I am on a 25 mb plan with fido and monthly paid usage is 7 - 15mb per month. Have to caution when on the road, cause some webpages are 500kb and more... nasty...thats right.

Feel free to pin me at 2427D382
    01-13-08 07:26 PM
    how much do you think this web page is? and or the wap forum

01-13-08 07:29 PM
    this webpage is at leat 200kb minimum with the pictures, download mini moni for blackberry. It is a free data tracker, it works. If your happy with it, make it donation to the developer Axel for hard work for a useful must have applet.
    01-13-08 07:40 PM
    this webpage is at leat 200kb minimum with the pictures, download mini moni for blackberry. It is a free data tracker, it works. If your happy with it, make it donation to the developer Axel for hard work for a useful must have applet.
    how much do you think a web page like
    www. ign.com
    would be? a couple of mbs?
    is there any way i could check on my computer just to see?
    01-13-08 07:46 PM
    Checked ign.com on my wifi browser. It took awhile to download and is 562kb with 146 images and that is just the front page. A couple pages like that would give you an immed few mb of usage. Hope this helps. I would stay the heck away from webpages that take that long to download
    01-13-08 07:57 PM
    do you think u can do one more check for me?
    collegehumor.com

thanks ALOT for all the help by the way i downloaded that app you were talkin about which seems to be working good.

i think tommorow i am going to call bell and see all my options for data
    01-13-08 08:03 PM
    gone for dinner, will check later for you.
    01-13-08 08:04 PM
    Your carrier sucks,heard they dont have unlimited data,at tmo,we get unlimited data plans for just 19.99.
    01-13-08 08:12 PM
    there is no unlimited data plans in canada... bell has the cheapest data plans avainable in canada as far as i am aware
    01-13-08 08:14 PM
    Andrew,
    last website was less thank 15 kb
    01-13-08 11:44 PM
    there is no unlimited data plans in canada... bell has the cheapest data plans avainable in canada as far as i am aware
    Telus currently has a promo plan called "Unlimited personal email and IM 15" ($15 per month). Even though they don't say it, this includes browsing, GPS, Facebook, etc. It's an add-on to a $30 or more voice package, available of most data devices a the moment.

I've used 112055 KB in less than a month, but I'm proabably a much more intensive user than most. I was looking over a few web pages yesterday. A Google search indicates the sizes of the text only. The range I saw was from about 6 KB to over 800 KB (for Facebook - The Complete Biography ). If you want to check, try saving a page in Internet Explorer as "web page, complete". Actually on the BlackBerry, RIMs servers will generally reduce the size of the graphics to fit the screen, so the load will be less. Loading that huge page 5 times would use up your whole 4 MB allowance. I also spotted Wikipedia pages that were very big (some at 0.25 MB).
    01-14-08 01:29 PM
    that $15 includes unlimited downloading?
    01-14-08 06:10 PM
    between all the blackberries i have? several GB worth of data. Highest on one bb? 250-350mb a month
    01-14-08 06:18 PM
    I'm at 219MB at the moment.
    01-14-08 06:30 PM
    So long as you're not "abusive" there's no problem with downloading. Several people in message boards have said that "tethering" (using you phone as a computer modem) is definitely not included, but a couple of people have even done that and not been charged. I wouldn't advise trying to download a movie in full DVD resolution or anything like that, but normal browsing on the BlackBerry and installing programs on the BlackBerry over the air is not a problem.

There's been a lot of dicussion of this in other threads here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f74/tel...nth-plan-9399/ and here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f79/unl...a-telus-12494/
    01-14-08 06:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD