Hi all, im going overseas soon and do not want to incur unnecessary charges due to the data services and i only want to use bbm for messages and nothign else, is there a way to go bout doing this so as to restrict all other causes of data kbs thanks
    12-05-09 08:00 AM
    The best would be to ask your carrier to drop/suspend e-mail and data except BBM while you are travelling.

Another option would be to remove your e-mail account on the device, set the default and fallback Browser to be the Hotspot Browser and make sure no third party applications will use data. Or if the destination you are travelling to supports BlackBerry, ask in advance for possibilities of using a local prepaid BIS service.
    12-05-09 08:10 AM
    I had wifi when I was abroad, so set data to WiFi only. Worked out well for me.
    Not sure if you will have that option.
    12-05-09 08:19 AM
    Getting a pre-paid SIM card from the country you are going to would help as well
    12-05-09 08:45 AM
    you can use only WiFi to minimize data usage.
    12-05-09 09:08 AM
    Everyone can use only WiFi and minimize data usage (literally) to zero. However WiFi is not present everywhere and to have only BBM functioning (whether roaming or not) e-mail and Internet must be turned off.
    12-05-09 09:13 AM
    So my best option here is to

1) ensure email is not activated
    2) set browser to wifi/hotspot and not data
    3) make sure all 3rd party apps arent using data

and this would minimize my data usage but still allow bbm to function?
    12-05-09 09:16 AM
    Exactly.

To be even more on the safe side, clear out your APN settings and ask your provider for the possibility to suspend e-mail/Internet functionality while you are traveling (but make sure BBM stays active).

Good luck!

P.S. Where are you traveling to anyway?
    12-05-09 09:22 AM
    Thank you so much
    Dont want to pay too much as im on a tight budget..
    Hongkong!
    12-05-09 10:00 AM
    Believe it or not BBM can use much data too, so if it is not an absolute must I suggest turning off everything data. Anyway, on the BlackBerry website there are carriers listed, who support BlackBerry and operate in Hong Kong: 3, CSL, PCCW, Peoples, SmarTone-Vodafone. I have not heard of any of these, but make your preparations I suggested and when you are there, try to ask for help on how to contact any of these carriers and ask for the possibility of a local prepaid BIS. This way you will pay only what you have paid already.

Good luck!
    p.s. Can you buy me a ChinaBerry as a gift LOL
    12-05-09 10:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD