View Poll Results: Does BB10 have a future?

Voters
506. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

186 36.76%
  • No

320 63.24%
    I don't understand why BlackBerry doesn't push BlackBerry 10 devices to US government. They already bought out Good Dynamics. Why not pitch BlackBerry 10 devices along with it and hopefully get an exclusive contract like they used to have.

Come join our channel and learn something new!
    02-28-17 10:47 AM
    I don't understand why BlackBerry doesn't push BlackBerry 10 devices to US government. They already bought out Good Dynamics. Why not pitch BlackBerry 10 devices along with it and hopefully get an exclusive contract like they used to have.

For the same reasons I listed about... most notable stability.

BB10 was delayed three times, i'st launch was a clear failure and company very soon was up for sale.... stability of the company was one of the big reason that the US Government passed on BB10. But too different departments place less value on security and more value on functionality.
    02-28-17 10:59 AM
    Plenty of information on this forum.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-28-17 11:12 AM

In the past,RIM and Blackberry had all those clients. Normal users have really suffer from not having acces to the all new an dynamic world of apps. Mostly develop by the apple's store.

With all rumors and bad news about blackberry you can see went do a Google search, it is easy to believe that we not gonna see then sooner. The first only blackberry software target is to satisfied entreprise needs and deal with them. The need of of security will grow now faster than the phones market.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-17 11:24 AM
    I was wondering the same thing. If we assume for the sake of argument that there is "enough" demand for phones that are neither iPhones nor Android, Microsoft is now in a much better position to satisfy that demand than BlackBerry is. Even though Windows 10 Mobile market share continues to fall, Microsoft continues to develop W10M actively, along with its core apps, which receive frequent updates. Regrettably, the market doesn't care.

I personally think BB10 is a better product than W10M but there's just not enough interest in it to make it worth developing. That doesn't mean there are no conceivable circumstances under which BB10 could make a comeback but "conceivable" and "believable" can be pretty far apart. It's just hard for me to see what could push them together.
    Windows have the best and the most complexe OS and in add it is light on hardware! Over 50 000 lines of code!

The major problems of the windows mobile 10 was the fact they delay a bite too much.
    After the Nokia Mobile take over they didn't no how to deal with western carrier and now ther is just only a few carriers that still offer a windows phone(imagine, less than blackberry!)

They also try to have the basic level phones'market and it was not a so good idea.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-17 11:38 AM

Good Dynamics isn't supported for BlackBerry 10 devices as I know?
    02-28-17 11:52 AM

BlackBerry 10 devices are not supported by Good Dynamics containers are they?
    02-28-17 11:53 AM
    Still totally usable? YES.

It has any future? (sadly) NO
    02-28-17 12:06 PM
    Other than iOS, what "enough demand" are you talking about?
    Speculation on my part. I would wager any amount you can find numbers plenty large to sustain Blackberry's sales expectations. People who don't like/trust Google and Apple and prefer even a dumb phone over the two. Or who just buy the cheapest phone available because nothing of interest is offered.
    02-28-17 12:15 PM
    I've enjoyed watching your stalwart optimism over the last couple of years as you have careened, on the Titanic, closer and closer to the iceberg.

You are now no more than an inch away, steaming at 20 knots. That would deflate mere mortal men, but not you!

I'm teasing of course. But damn!
    I prefer to be optimistic when actual facts are hard to come by. I think Blackberry is being vague because they cant/don't want to truly mothball BB10 yet due to both contractual obligation and potential revisiting. No need to kill it unless there is 0 chance they will ever develop it again and although it may be slim they don't want to burn that bridge yet.
    In reality I don't care for Blackberry as a company. I HATE android, dislike iOS and can barely tolerate Windows10. As a consumer I realize its my money that supports the future of these products so i don't just buy whatever comes out. If the product I like is the least popular thing out and has no future, maybe my purchase can help some bean counter's rounded total sales number look profitable enough to continue development. I still get the better of the pick IMO and know i haven't jumped on the bandwagon and paid for popularity over preference.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-28-17 12:30 PM
    Speculation on my part. I would wager any amount you can find numbers plenty large to sustain Blackberry's sales expectations. People who don't like/trust Google and Apple and prefer even a dumb phone over the two. Or who just buy the cheapest phone available because nothing of interest is offered.
    The facts have disproved your speculation, but no one can dispute your optimism.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    02-28-17 01:43 PM
    Exactly, I'm one of those customers who blatantly refuse to use either iOS, Android or Windows Phone. I have actually tried them and didn't like them. BB10 feels like a no-nonsense OS, it does what it is supposed to do without any clutter. Just look at the default Windows Phone main screen and you see what I mean.

If there was only iOS, Android or Windows Phone on the market, then I would rather use a dumb phone or an older Symbian phone. Good thing is that BB10 is good enough for a smart phone for quite some time in the future.

Since Blackberry just dismissed my type as customer and went for the sheep customers instead, which failed big time of course there are others that will take that share. As it looks like now Jolla Sailfish will instead pursue that role.
    02-28-17 01:59 PM
    Exactly, I'm one of those customers who blatantly refuse to use either iOS, Android or Windows Phone. I have actually tried them and didn't like them. BB10 feels like a no-nonsense OS, it does what it is supposed to do without any clutter. Just look at the default Windows Phone main screen and you see what I mean.

If there was only iOS, Android or Windows Phone on the market, then I would rather use a dumb phone or an older Symbian phone. Good thing is that BB10 is good enough for a smart phone for quite some time in the future.

Since Blackberry just dismissed my type as customer and went for the sheep customers instead, which failed big time of course there are others that will take that share. As it looks like now Jolla Sailfish will instead pursue that role.
    02-28-17 01:59 PM
    I've enjoyed watching your stalwart optimism over the last couple of years as you have careened, on the Titanic, closer and closer to the iceberg.

You are now no more than an inch away, steaming at 20 knots. That would deflate mere mortal men, but not you!

I'm teasing of course. But damn!
    I prefer to be optimistic when actual facts are hard to come by. I think Blackberry is being vague because they cant/don't want to truly mothball BB10 yet due to both contractual obligation and potential revisiting. No need to kill it unless there is 0 chance they will ever develop it again and although it may be slim they don't want to burn that bridge yet.
    In reality I don't care for Blackberry as a company. I HATE android, dislike iOS and can barely tolerate Windows10. As a consumer I realize its my money that supports the future of these products so i don't just buy whatever comes out. If the product I like is the least popular thing out and has no future, maybe my purchase can help some bean counter's rounded total sales number look profitable enough to continue development. I still get the better of the pick IMO and know i haven't jumped on the bandwagon and paid for popularity over preference.
    02-28-17 02:44 PM
    The facts have disproved your speculation, but no one can dispute your optimism.
    What facts? The fact that more feature phones are sold in the US per year than Blackberry has sold worldwide in the last 5 years? Just a fraction of the world feature phone market would be seen as a MAJOR increase in sales for Blackberry.
    You are blinding by that nearly 87% of the smartphone market statistic. Even factor in iOS for a combined total of 97% rounded... and throw Windows in there too (still 97% with my rough rounding) we are dividing a market that is comprised of over a billion sales per year. Just think of the size of that remaining 3%...
    02-28-17 03:42 PM
    What facts? The fact that more feature phones are sold in the US per year than Blackberry has sold worldwide in the last 5 years? Just a fraction of the world feature phone market would be seen as a MAJOR increase in sales for Blackberry.
    You are blinding by that nearly 87% of the smartphone market statistic. Even factor in iOS for a combined total of 97% rounded... and throw Windows in there too (still 97% with my rough rounding) we are dividing a market that is comprised of over a billion sales per year. Just think of the size of that remaining 3%...
    The fact that BlackBerry lost money on BB10, and any continued pursuit would result in nothing but the same. Now if you're suggesting they drop BB10, and enter the feature phone market, that's different.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-28-17 09:40 PM
    Will there be new functionality beyond bug fixes and security patches in subsequent updates?
    Will 10.4 ever see the light of day?
    Will BlackBerry ever release a new BB10 phone?

If you believe the answer is yes for any of these questions, vote yes.
    If you believe the answer to be no for all of these questions, vote no.

Now is your chance to show your true colours.
    A definite answer in 2017: NO. As for 10.4 I'm not sure. BlackBerry could create a small security fix and call it 10.4.

Posted through my  Z30
    03-01-17 09:17 AM

In the future you will get an Android phone with BlackBerry symbol. They called it the most secure Android phone.

Posted through my  Z30
    03-01-17 09:21 AM
    In the future you will get an Android phone with BlackBerry symbol. They called it the most secure Android phone.

Posted through my  Z30
    Why would someone who is happy with BB10 in its current state switch now? Last I checked, one can stay in touch via email, phone, text, social networks, and Internet, while using a decent portable camera, listening to high quality music, organizing with calendar, tasks and notes synced to Exchange and Evernote, and with access to OneDrive, Box, and DropBox.

Moreover, all of that can be done with an efficient, slick OS that runs perfectly on four-year-old hardware.

For people who don't want or need specific iOS/Android apps, and who have no desire to download the latest apps and play games or watch videos on a tiny little screen, BB10 still rocks.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 03-01-17 at 10:16 AM.
    03-01-17 09:59 AM
    Why would someone who is happy with BB10 in its current state switch now?
    Because the rest of the world continues to move forward. Standards evolve, minimum requirements move ahead, and more and more things will continue to break. Anything that requires connecting to servers on the Internet has to be continually in development or it will eventually get left behind (meaning: it won't work).

Everyone has their own personal threshold, but plenty of hardcore BB10 supporters have crossed that line already and reluctantly moved on - and more hit that wall every day.
    03-01-17 10:44 AM
    Because the rest of the world continues to move forward. Standards evolve, minimum requirements move ahead, and more and more things will continue to break. Anything that requires connecting to servers on the Internet has to be continually in development or it will eventually get left behind (meaning: it won't work).

Everyone has their own personal threshold, but plenty of hardcore BB10 supporters have crossed that line already and reluctantly moved on - and more hit that wall every day.
    I agree with everything you say about the state and future of BB10. I just don't think anyone should switch to "keep up with the times" until he or she has a specific unmet need or desire. There's nothing wrong with "good enough for now.". I also think that BB10 is superior to Android and iOS in some non-trivial ways for some use cases.

03-01-17 11:02 AM
    I agree with everything you say about the state and future of BB10. I just don't think anyone should switch to "keep up with the times" until he or she has a specific unmet need or desire. There's nothing wrong with "good wrought for now.". I also think that BB10 is superior to Android and iOS in some non-trivial ways for some use cases.
    I think for many, the fear that they'll wake up tomorrow, go out into the world, and need to use something on their phone that has suddenly stopped working when they really need it to work is a real issue - and many have already experienced that, probably a number of times. Sure, sometimes solutions are found (hunting for old app versions, or patching & sideloading apps, or something else), but sometimes they aren't. If you counted on using Uber, or contacting someone in your LinkedIn contacts, or whatever - and suddenly you discover that no longer works - that's potentially a huge problem, and it's a problem people on a supported platform don't have to worry about.

I suspect many people have switched and will switch because they're realizing exactly what that means.
    03-01-17 11:09 AM

Can't teach an old dog a new trick comes to mind.... even TCL called them "mature". And too be honest it probably doesn't matter if they don't get today's new technology.

But yeah most the real power users have moved on from BB10, because they want modern hardware or then need apps that BB10 just no longer will run the "current" versions.

BB10 will be usable for those that don't need a modern device. But it doesn't have a future.
    03-01-17 11:10 AM
    I think for many, the fear that they'll wake up tomorrow, go out into the world, and need to use something on their phone that has suddenly stopped working when they really need it to work is a real issue - and many have already experienced that, probably a number of times. Sure, sometimes solutions are found (hunting for old app versions, or patching & sideloading apps, or something else), but sometimes they aren't. If you counted on using Uber, or contacting someone in your LinkedIn contacts, or whatever - and suddenly you discover that no longer works - that's potentially a huge problem, and it's a problem people on a supported platform don't have to worry about.

I suspect many people have switched and will switch because they're realizing exactly what that means.
    I 100% agree that most users won't be satisfied with BB10 at this point. I think it's market share is probably about right. But, though I own Android and iOS devices, I greatly prefer my Z10/Passport combo as a daily driver. For me there is almost zero chance that something I need won't work, because I'm not running Android apps or apps that require updated APIs.

I wouldn't waste time to find old BAR/APK files, side load or configure apps that don't work directly from BlackBerry World. I agree that that is the point at which switching to Android would make sense.

But for users like me, who have access to a PC regularly throughout the day, I find the number of Apps I actually need beyond what comes installed on BB10 to be between 4 and 6, and they are still rock solid.

rayporsche likes this.
    03-01-17 11:40 AM
    It's still the best OS made for a smartphone, just a shame not enough people gave it a shot.
    03-01-17 02:09 PM
1,471 ... 5455565758 ...