I've been on these boards for a number of years now (on and off) and one of the things I have read when it comes to the pros of a blackberry compared to some other phones (more specifically the iPhone) is the fact that blackberries have 'removable batteries'. While I agree that can be a pro and most definitely not a con, I want to know how many of you actually exploit this function.

I have a Bold 9000 and unless I'm doing a hard reset on the phone (I have found easier ways of doing a hard reset like using an app or pressing a combination of buttons), I don't remove the battery at all. How many people hear actually have multiple batteries for their blackberry? One of the pros of having a blackberry (maybe not the Torch in this case) is that the battery life can last longer than one day. Why would one need an extra battery unless they voluntarily choose not to use their charger for longer than 24 hours?

It's just something I always wanted to know. I know there are those power users who live on their blackberry and probably drain their battery like crazy, but for the casual user, is there a reason to have more than one battery?
    08-09-10 09:24 AM
    I think it's a control thing. At least with a removable battery, Blackberry users at least have the choice, or ability, to take out the battery, replace it with a bigger one, etc., whereas with the iPhone, users do not have the ability, so it must be a downside.

Personally, I like the ability to remove the battery. I do battery pulls every so often and it's the easiest way to reset my Blackberry.
    08-09-10 09:28 AM
    On the CDMA side of things the battery does not last as long. I do use multiple batteries and a battery charger. In a pinch thou, it DOES last a day, but it's nice to be able to pop a freshly charged battery in whenever I want.
    08-09-10 09:31 AM
    I hear you on the control thing. However, for my it's really not that big of a deal. I don't want to carry around an extra battery just so I feel I'm in 'control'.

Another thing about battery pulls is that it feels unnatural to do so. While I hear it's perfectly safe, I just don't like the idea of 'ripping' the battery out of the phone while it's on just to reset it.
    08-09-10 09:33 AM
    I believe you would consider a battery pull a hard reset, but doing it by the means of an application or button combination, it would then be considered a soft reset.

Anyways, I have one extra battery. I toss it in my pocket when I am unsure if I will make it back to my house for a few days. When I bring my charger, I tend to leave it places. I find simply swapping the battery prevents that.
    08-09-10 09:35 AM
    If you're the kind of person that doesn't want or need to upgrade every year or two, than having the ability to replace a failing battery with a brand new one can mean the difference of having to charge by lunch or making it to bedtime. I've replaced the battery in my 8130 Pearl because the stock one was starting to go bad. I am sure not going to send my iphone back to apple just to change a battery...
    08-09-10 09:36 AM
    I carry an extra battery and replace as needed. Sometimes I spend over 3 hours on the phone, plus browsing, apps..etc and my batt dies before the end of the day.
    Nice to be able to switch.
    Also, I've had bad betteries a few times... They stop holding the charge after a while. Being able to slap a brand new battery is a MUST feature.
    Wonder how much Apple charge to replace a battery?!?
    08-09-10 09:37 AM
    I always get an extended battery for all my BlackBerrys and keep the stock ones as emergency backups.
    08-09-10 09:39 AM
    I carry extra batteries when travelling so I need a removable option. My charging case helps a lot too.
    08-09-10 09:40 AM
    Wonder how much Apple charges to replace a battery?!?
    If they would replace a battery is a better question. I took my Son's Touch in to get a headphone jack repaired after the warranty period and was told they do not repair their devices. The only option I was given was to buy a new or reconditioned pod. We found an aftermarket repair outfit who did the repair for around $40 - instead of $300 for a new one.

I also like the flexibility to replace a battery if my charge runs low. I also think the reboot time is a bit less when one does a batt pull instead of Alt-Shift- Del.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-10 09:49 AM
    If they would replace a battery is a better question. I took my Son's Touch in to get a headphone jack repaired after the warranty period and was told they do not repair their devices. The only option I was given was to buy a new or reconditioned pod. We found an aftermarket repair outfit who did the repair for around $40 - instead of $300 for a new one.

I also like the flexibility to replace a battery if my charge runs low. I also think the reboot time is a bit less when one does a batt pull instead of Alt-Shift- Del.

Had the same thing happen to my Touch. Last one of those I'll ever purchase.

Can't beat Apples customer service... "We want each and every one of our customers to feel special."
    Special, meaning if something goes wrong with our product, our customers are SOL
    08-09-10 10:01 AM
    Water damage is very common with phones and the first thing you're supposed to do is remove the battery to minimise the risk of a short. How are you supposed to do that if it's not removable?
    Lol, I carried 3 spare batteries when I had my Storm 2. I find standby times are greatly reduced if you move a lot, driving from cell to cell and changing from 3G to GPRS and back a lot.

Ps Actually I meand 2 spare, 3 with the one inside the phone.

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 08-09-10 at 10:49 AM.
    08-09-10 10:46 AM
    I don't carry an extra battery, but usually with these devices you're going to own it for at least a year and a half. With all the stuff running, what happens when the battery dies? I can pick one up for cheap on eBay. I don't have to send it in for repair, get a 5% discount on a new one, or receive a "refurbished" one. Same phone, just order a new battery. And if I remember correctly, on my original iPod Mini it cost something like $70-80 to get the battery replaced!

Big reason I can't move over to Apple.
    08-09-10 10:55 AM
    My husband is a soccer official. Many a weekend have been spent on a soccer field. I play on my BB constantly. Having extra batteries is a godsend.

08-09-10 10:58 AM
    I did 3 times with my 9550...because the battery refused to hold a charge. In all 3 cases, VZW replaced the battery free under warranty.
    08-09-10 10:58 AM
    if you own an iphone 3G that you got when it was first released..
    you wont Question why you need a removable battery.
    something that you can change by yourself and not bring the entire device to the apple store.. or worse ship it for replacement..

i know majority of users are not confident enough to disassemble their gadgets..
    08-09-10 11:02 AM
    I remove mine all the time.

I often ride in rural areas that have spotty coverage. Thus the phone is searching a lot for a signal.

This runs the battery down more quickly. So I bring a spare charged battery and switch when the first battery gets low.
    08-09-10 11:03 AM
    I have a few spare batteries for my wife and my 9530's. I'm a heavy media user - mostly audiobooks - so I charge whenever I get a chance - driving, sitting, whatever. I bought a small solar charger so I could charge when I go somewhere on my Honda 750, but it doesn't work all that well - so extra batteries are mandatory! I won't by a device that won't allow you to swap batteries - except my stereo bluetooth devices - which of course noboday makes with replaceable batteries. (However - they charge nicely using solar)
    08-09-10 11:12 AM
    I do on a regular basis. I have 3 batteries for my 9650 for when I am not around a charger for longer periods of time.
    08-09-10 12:01 PM
    I always carry a fully charged spare, just in case.
    08-09-10 12:13 PM
    I've just converted to BB, and a removable battery was a prime consideration. On all my other phones / smartphones, I either carried a spare battery for those times when a recharge wasn't possible, or kept the device long enough that the old battery wore out and I needed a replacement.
    08-09-10 01:06 PM
    This should be a poll
    > I remove my battery only for battery pulls
    > I carry multiple Batteries and like to change out
    > How do I take out the battery?
    > I never need to pull the battery, software resets my device
    > I have purchased a larger battery

As for my answer to the question
    I carry 2 Batteries, and for my next phone will probably buy a larger battery, so being able to change it out is important, and useful.
    In addition to that, I also pull the battery if I am going boating or if I am in a very wet area and don't need the phone, less risk of damage if it has no battery when it gets wet. Same goes with digital cameras

08-09-10 01:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD