I was reading this article yesterday, where it stats that BBM is still the top free app in 35 counteries in the PlayStore and 107 countries in the App Store. This made me wonder whether download rates have been better than I thought, and thus lead to this little game.

How many active users will be announced at the next earnings report? My guess is 140 Million.
    02-22-14 01:46 PM
    I'm expecting a more conservative 10 million/month.. so +- 110 million Anything less would be a disappointment.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 01:55 PM
    My guess is 100 million.

Black cards, Black cars - All BlackBerry-thing!
    02-22-14 01:55 PM
    I would like to know how many registered BBM users (BBID) exists and the daily average number of users of BBM.

I think they lost a lot of momentum active users (daily average) 60-80 mio. I would not be surprised to se an even lower number.
    02-22-14 01:57 PM
    I would like to know how many registered BBM users (BBID) exists and the daily average number of users of BBM.

I think they lost a lot of momentum active users (daily average) 60-80 mio. I would not be surprised to se an even lower number.
    I wouldn't say that low, but I thought momentum slowed too until I saw that it's still the leading free app in so many countries.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 02:03 PM
    About 120 million.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 02:19 PM
    What was the numbers last quarter? I Don't think we even hit 100mill yet

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 01:01 AM
    What was the numbers last quarter? I Don't think we even hit 100mill yet

Posted via CB10
    It was 80 I think, but I don't think it was out for that long.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 01:04 AM
    I recall hearing that 40 million ios / droid users had been added once it went xplatform. These were initial numbers, like a week in. Add that to the 60 million already on BlackBerry, gives you 100 mill 'registered' users. I believe out of the 60 million BlackBerry users, only 40 were 'active' users. Thus the 80 million number we kept hearing.

I would also be surprised if the active user number was lower then 110-120 million

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 01:13 AM
    I remember hearing Gadway say that they don't care about downloads, but rather active users. I think that's a much more accurate way of keeping track.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 01:29 AM
    Personally I don't think it will be much more than last reported. At least from what I see in the forums and my circles: people download BBM, try it, x platform doesn't perform (isn't stable or as rich with media sharing as WhatsApp), delete BBM.

Sent from my Z10
    02-23-14 02:22 AM
    Personally I don't think it will be much more than last reported. At least from what I see in the forums and my circles: people download BBM, try it, x platform doesn't perform (isn't stable or as rich with media sharing as WhatsApp), delete BBM.

Sent from my Z10
    Bingo. Chen just said 85. Sad really.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 02:20 AM
    Bingo. Chen just said 85. Sad really.

Posted via CB10
    This is certainly disappointing. However, it is not very surprising. While the cross-platform community is growing, the legacy user base continues to dwindle. When last quarter's numbers where released, the 85 million active users were comprised of 40 million xBBM users, and only 45 million legacy users. This was down from 60 million legacy users the prior period, I believe. If that trend/pace continued on the legacy side, we could be down to 30 million legacy users and, by implication, 55 million xBBM users. While overall I think this is very sad news, it does explain how the app remains the top free app in many markets. That being said, the real negative story here is that even if you ignore the legacy declines (which might actually be driving some of the xBBM growth as those users switch over to other platforms), the uptick in xBBM users is slowing down meaningfully. I actually think there is a pretty good chance that the total number of active users is down to 80 million by the time results are reported. Just my two cents.
    02-27-14 01:36 PM