how long should i charge my phone daily someone told me it is not good to charge my bb overnight i should only charge for 1 hour is this true
    09-04-09 09:39 AM
    I charge mine every night, all night. I have been doing so for 7 months with no issues.
    09-04-09 10:15 AM
    how long should i charge my phone daily someone told me it is not good to charge my bb overnight i should only charge for 1 hour is this true
    Most people have no idea about battery technology.

Charge as long as you like, 50 hours if you want. Circuits protect the battery and turn off the charger as needed. As a general rule of thumb just try to keep the battery over 35% as often as possible.
    09-04-09 10:41 AM
    I charge mine all night as well and never turn my device off at any point

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-09 10:49 AM
    I charge mine as often as I can, usually overnight. Never hurts to have a full charge in a pinch!
    09-04-09 01:04 PM
    Be pro-active....charge as long as you can... But, once a month or so, let the battery run down completely so the battery doesn't get programed to short usage.
    09-04-09 01:09 PM
    Be pro-active....charge as long as you can... But, once a month or so, let the battery run down completely so the battery doesn't get programed to short usage.
    DO NOT EVER DRAIN THE BATTERY!

These things cannot have a memory, you actually damage the battery by draining it.
    Last edited by Radius; 09-04-09 at 01:14 PM.
    09-04-09 01:11 PM
    DO NOT EVER DRAIN THE BATTERY!

These things cannot have a memory, you actually damage the battery by draining it.
    Actually, the poster above you is correct. It is recommended that Li-Ion
    batteries be allowed to deep discharge every 30 to 40 charging cycles, so
    once a month is about right.
    09-04-09 01:31 PM
    Correct. Li-Ion batteries should be drained dry at least once every 50 cycles or so. So drain till it is dry, or at least drain until the radio shuts off at least once a month then recharge it overnight or for 12 hours or so.
    09-04-09 01:37 PM
    This is in direct conflict with what the manufacturers themselves tell me when we meet with them, I am just going by what the engineers tell me.
    09-04-09 01:41 PM
    I was also told Not to let my battery to ever drain from mods on this forum that was one of the main things pointed out to me.Other then that the rest mentioned in this thread was the same the only conflict on advice was if letting battery drain all way down or not was a good ideal . So I haven't let my battery drain ever since I was told this.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/simp...uestion-276974 <---- post #2 was one I went by

Last edited by DavidNC; 09-04-09 at 05:16 PM. Reason: added link to show what I mean about this
    09-04-09 04:23 PM
    Well maybe I can get a brief e engineers here to explain the facts of these batteries, or a spec sheet from the manufacturer and post the relevant bits.

I will see if they will humor me.

09-04-09 05:51 PM
    I've always heard that I should never let it get to zero, EVER, and doing so can even screw up the BB.

But, overcharging is a myth.
    09-04-09 07:00 PM
    On older cell phones over charging used to be a problem but with modern cell phones and Blackberrys its notta problem. The circuit shuts off when the phone is done charging. Also never let ur battery drain completely.
    09-04-09 09:16 PM
    I normally don't have to charge mine for quite some time, that depends on how much I use the direct connect button, because that can take a lot of battery power. In my job, communications, I use the direct connect almost as much as I do the other components and when I'm home at night, I use my computer port to charge her.
    09-04-09 10:16 PM
    I've always heard that I should never let it get to zero, EVER, and doing so can even screw up the BB.

But, overcharging is a myth.
    Right. When the Li-ion reaches less than 3V it can actually damage the internal cells. I have never measured the BB battery and mean to one day, but until I do I just recommend you keep it charged above 35%.

As soon as I know better I will post one day.
    09-05-09 01:38 AM
    Unlike Nokia and Motorola, where the batteries would explode lol. (Self experience...) BlackBerry protects itself from ... Well , us. So charge it all you want.

09-05-09 05:51 AM
    1.You DO NOT need to break in the Li-Ion BlackBerry battery. On BB Models 71xx, 81xx, 83xx, 88xx you will be using a Lithium-Ion battery. These do not require "conditioning" as you might have experienced with other cell phones and batteries.
    Note: Don't get in the habit of fully discharging the battery every time -- to prevent wearing it out -- lithium batteries can be damaged with excessive deep discharges like a car battery can be.... When breaking in the battery, make sure you keep it plugged in long after the battery says it is fully charged (i.e. overnight), you really want to trickle-charge your BlackBerry to top-off your battery.
    2.Lithium batteries LOVE to be topped-off. In regular use, plug it in whenever you have the opportunity. This will also help keep the battery life maxed out for those days you really need long battery life.

I also read that occasionally letting the battery run down to halfway or a little below helps IN ONLY resetting the battery meter. These instructions are from the Blackberry Forums website but match almost word for word what used to be on the RIM website before they changed their support forums.
    09-05-09 06:02 AM
    It sometimes helps re calibrate the battery meter, but the best way to do that is a battery pull. And it does not matter at what level the battery is at when you do the pull.

09-05-09 12:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD