Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By sleepngbear
  • 1 Post By amazinglygraceless
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default How long does it take to write new OS?

Just wondering if anyone has enough knowledge to estimate how long it actually takes a company like RIM to write/code OS 10 from scratch. Assuming OS 10 has a lot of basic options/functions based on OS 5/6/7 but still has to be coded from the beginning, how long would this take?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blackbery 9700 > 9900 > android > ip5 > q10 > z10 > ip5 > q5 <<<the best
    Ipad (3rd generation)
    Dell XPS 15 - Windows 7
    Range Rover Sport LUX
    CrackBerry Genius

BB10 is NOT based on OS 5/6/7. It has QNX in its core, which has been around for quite some time (in the form of embedded systems and desktop OS). Furthermore, one can argue that BB10 has been in development by RIM for about two years now and I would consider the Playbook OS to be its alpha/beta version.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sevoman View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has enough knowledge to estimate how long it actually takes a company like RIM to write/code OS 10 from scratch. Assuming OS 10 has a lot of basic options/functions based on OS 5/6/7 but still has to be coded from the beginning, how long would this take?
    BlackBerry 10 is based on QNX not on the current smartphone OS 5/6/7. Apparently, the BlackBerry 10 development team cannot even implement communications protocols necessary to ensure BlackBerry Internet Service and Blackberry Enterprise Server integration out of the gate.

The poor management culture of the company is driving it into oblivion at a maddening pace. The acquisition of The Astonishing (cough) Tribe should already be showing results in BlackBerry Tablet OS 2.0 but barely any semblance of their amazing UI skills has arrived on any production device. The acquisition of NewBay should have already produced an enhanced BlackBerry Protect with more features currently only available to Blackberry Enterprise Server users; the elimination of BlackBerry Desktop Manager aka BlackBerry Desktop Software should have been a high-priority following the acquisition of NewBay. While BlackBerry Business Cloud Service with Microsoft Office 365 Cloud Service should have been a home run for Research In Motion it is not a smooth experience for those choosing to go the hosted Blackberry Enterprise Server / Microsoft Office 365 / Microsoft Exchange route.

I enjoy using my BlackBerry Bold 9700/9780 and BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB/64GB daily. If Research In Motion fails, ...well I do not want to contemplate how that will impact my life. I wish I could sit down with Mr. Heins and clearly articulate a roadmap to restore this pioneering technology powerhouse to its former status as a forward-thinking market leader. With the collective strategies proposed by the CrackBerry nation RIM couild already be on the rise, albeit a slow rise from the depths of Hades if the consumer/financial/technology market analysts are to be believed. Kind of reminds me of the heptalogy "Death Gate Cycle" book series.

Global Posts
    9,323 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?

Quote Originally Posted by BB9700CA View Post
    While BlackBerry Business Cloud Service with Microsoft Office 365 Cloud Service should have been a home run for Research In Motion it is not a smooth experience for those choosing to go the hosted Blackberry Enterprise Server / Microsoft Office 365 / Microsoft Exchange route.
    Well these are the first steps. It's still beta ...
    I must testify that it has been a bit difficult to set it up, but it only took 2-3 days finally.
    I'm waiting to go further with PlayBook (as 2.1 beta is supposed to offer support, but I miss the "how-to" basic procedures) but since it's been running, I can say I don't regret spending some efforts in it.
    I do agree this should be a home run: must be on time ...

P.S : I'm not a BES nor Identity admin ... so it's a do and learn procedure for me.
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    CrackBerry Abuser

I think what OP was referring to with "features based on OS5/6/7" was that they came from them (such as memos, password keeper etc) and how long would it take to make BB10 that is complete to the extent it has the features.

In fairness to RIM, making a new OS that is so complete does take a long time - it will be interesting to see if all the main BBOS apps are re-done in time for BB10 launch and whether other key features like mobile hotspot are there. How long do you think Apple spent on iOS before launch? At least a year, if not more and that wasn't complete to anywhere near the extent BB10 hopefully will be.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by gtpointer View Post
    I think what OP was referring to with "features based on OS5/6/7" was that they came from them (such as memos, password keeper etc) and how long would it take to make BB10 that is complete to the extent it has the features.

In fairness to RIM, making a new OS that is so complete does take a long time - it will be interesting to see if all the main BBOS apps are re-done in time for BB10 launch and whether other key features like mobile hotspot are there. How long do you think Apple spent on iOS before launch? At least a year, if not more and that wasn't complete to anywhere near the extent BB10 hopefully will be.
    correct. i was referring to os 10 having many of the features of os 5/6/7. ie: bb os 10 is not from scratch as there is a template from which to start the design.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blackbery 9700 > 9900 > android > ip5 > q10 > z10 > ip5 > q5 <<<the best
    Ipad (3rd generation)
    Dell XPS 15 - Windows 7
    Range Rover Sport LUX

BlackBerry 10 is based on QNX not on the current smartphone OS 5/6/7. Apparently, the BlackBerry 10 development team cannot even implement communications protocols necessary to ensure BlackBerry Internet Service and Blackberry Enterprise Server integration out of the gate.

The poor management culture of the company is driving it into oblivion at a maddening pace. The acquisition of The Astonishing (cough) Tribe should already be showing results in BlackBerry Tablet OS 2.0 but barely any semblance of their amazing UI skills has arrived on any production device. The acquisition of NewBay should have already produced an enhanced BlackBerry Protect with more features currently only available to Blackberry Enterprise Server users; the elimination of BlackBerry Desktop Manager aka BlackBerry Desktop Software should have been a high-priority following the acquisition of NewBay. While BlackBerry Business Cloud Service with Microsoft Office 365 Cloud Service should have been a home run for Research In Motion it is not a smooth experience for those choosing to go the hosted Blackberry Enterprise Server / Microsoft Office 365 / Microsoft Exchange route.

I enjoy using my BlackBerry Bold 9700/9780 and BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB/64GB daily. If Research In Motion fails, ...well I do not want to contemplate how that will impact my life. I wish I could sit down with Mr. Heins and clearly articulate a roadmap to restore this pioneering technology powerhouse to its former status as a forward-thinking market leader. With the collective strategies proposed by the CrackBerry nation RIM couild already be on the rise, albeit a slow rise from the depths of Hades if the consumer/financial/technology market analysts are to be believed. Kind of reminds me of the heptalogy "Death Gate Cycle" book series.
    Do you really think you have the market cornered on successful mobile business plans? Yes, RIM needs to listen to its customers, as does any other business; but it cannot run the business by kowtowing to every whim and fancy of every armchair CEO with an Internet connection. You need to remember that Thorsten Heins and current management are not the ones who got RIM into this situation. They are trying to, among many other things, eliminate that poor management culture. But that, like adapting an existing OS core to a new purpose, reversing all the other negative trends that got RIM where it is today, and implementing their new strategies from the ground up, does not happen overnight. It took a long time to get into his hole; it's going to take a longer time to get out of it.
    Ed

Be bold. Be pantless. Then go take a nice long nap.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,964 Global Posts

The big issue is that RIM planned to run with Air and Flash as the building blocks for the UI over the OS. Then RIM acquired TAT, and decided to go with Cascades as the UI base, with help from Adobe ending future support for flash on mobile platforms. So these things have combined in delaying BB10 to the market. They had also planned to just have the BB apps that were Java run right in BB10 which would have made for quick to market to, we saw them demo'd at BBW just after the Playbook was released, but apparently that got abandoned too which led to huge delays in get native PIM and e-mail on the Playbook. Had RIM acquired TAT sooner and gone with that at the start then we'd probably have BB10 now.
    Last edited by lnichols; 06-05-2012 at 09:21 AM.
    CrackBerry User

While BlackBerry Business Cloud Service with Microsoft Office 365 Cloud Service should have been a home run for Research In Motion it is not a smooth experience for those choosing to go the hosted Blackberry Enterprise Server / Microsoft Office 365 / Microsoft Exchange route.
    120% agree...

Office 365 + Blackberry = Termination of Employee that Recommends it for their business.

Office 365 + Active Sync = Tolerable

It's no where near smooth when the CEO and COO's Blackberry doesn't work for days on end and all you can do is try to push the ticket along as a lowly middle man.

This solution... is no long beta.. it's live.... but it should be alpha at best.

The other thing we've learned about 365 is, do not open tickets online. Always Call in.... always... or suffer the painful death by 50 ******** email questions 365 support asks. Example, you state the name and user id of the problem user - they reply "what is the user id of the person and what level plan" are they on...... WTF... Oh, i could rant on for hours.
    Retired Mod

PIN
    PIN:ky Tuscadero

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by sleepngbear View Post
    ... but it cannot run the business by kowtowing to every whim and fancy of every armchair CEO with an Internet connection.
    Simply brilliant!!
    shaleem likes this.