I've wondered this for a while now. Especially after seeing the troubles BlackBerry has had switching from BBOS to BB10.
    Sure BlackBerry was responsible for a fair bit of its own pain. Perhaps it's a case study for how not to transition from one OS to another.
    Is the clock ticking for IOS and Android before they need to go back to the drawing board and start fresh? Or can both operating systems be refreshed for years to come?
    If they do need to start fresh, could BlackBerry seize the moment with any of its software offerings? Joint ventures...etc?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-29-16 09:14 AM
    iOS and Android have already changed... it just that Google and Apple started with better platforms to begin with, and choose to change their OS in incremental ways.

Both were good software companies to began with...
    09-29-16 09:30 AM
    iOS and Android have already changed... it just that Google and Apple started with better platforms to begin with, and choose to change their OS in incremental ways.

Both were good software companies to began with...
    I was about to post something similar.

I think that both Apple and Google hope never to reach the cliff edge that BB did with BBOS. BBOS had reached the end of the road, and BB was forced into a platform change to BB10 in order to compete and provide a future path for their phones

Meh, with apps, it might even have worked.

By contrast, iOS/Android are aiming for evolution, not revolution!
    murphcid likes this.
    09-29-16 09:37 AM
    Rumors Google with new os 'Andromeda' is coming
    Carjackd likes this.
    09-29-16 09:45 AM
    I was about to post something similar.

I think that both Apple and Google hope never to reach the cliff edge that BB did with BBOS. BBOS had reached the end of the road, and BB was forced into a platform change to BB10 in order to compete and provide a future path for their phones

Meh, with apps, it might even have worked.

By contrast, iOS/Android are aiming for evolution, not revolution!
    The problem with BBOS was that it was based on outdated coding that couldn't handle modern CPU and chips. The switch to BB10, horribly executed, is what killed them.

As of now, iOS and Android are fully capable of handling whatever is out there. On the contrary, more and more devices are moving away from the old X86 chips to ARM, which iOS and Android is based on. And guess what, that's what forced Microsoft to come out with a ARM version of their Windows OS.

Whats the next step then? Maybe when quantum computing becomes mainstream!
    murphcid likes this.
    09-29-16 09:47 AM
    The problem with BBOS was that it was based on outdated coding that couldn't handle modern CPU and chips. The switch to BB10, horribly executed, is what killed them.

As of now, iOS and Android are fully capable of handling whatever is out there. On the contrary, more and more devices are moving away from the old X86 chips to ARM, which iOS and Android is based on. And guess what, that's what forced Microsoft to come out with a ARM version of their Windows OS.

Whats the next step then? Maybe when quantum computing becomes mainstream!
    Which was my point really.

When mobile quantum processors come, I'm sure iOS 27 and Android SherbetDip will handle them fine.
    FF22 and hplovecraft like this.
    09-29-16 09:51 AM
    The walled garden of iOS is beautiful, "just works" with mobile and desktop experience. It will evolve through time for sure, but I don't see the need for iOS to change or create something new, other than a complete redesign of the iPhones which are rumored for 2017.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    09-29-16 09:54 AM
    Rumors Google with new os 'Andromeda' is coming
    As in the Virus?

Andromeda Strain...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_An..._Strain_(film)
    09-29-16 09:56 AM
    09-29-16 09:58 AM
    Sad thing is when I first found CrackBerry in 2007... there was a big debate about BBOS going one here. Many believed that BlackBerry needed to change their OS to keep up with the soon to be released iOS platform and what Google was working one not to mention Windows (no one taught it would take them so long to merge the desktop and mobile experience).

There were some very long and technical discussion on BBOS and it's limitations back then.... was very interesting to read. I for one assumed that if so many here could see that.... surely BlackBerry was already working on a solution.
    09-29-16 09:59 AM
    Cr@p, was kinda hoping for the Virus type, but seeing as how they have infected all of us already...
    09-29-16 09:59 AM
    Still basically Android... and will not be a "reboot" of their platform like BB10 was for BlackBerry. Simply an evolution that will allow existing apps to work... but will also probably open up new capability for Apps, thus a push for developers provide newer versions of their apps to take full advantage of the new abilities and views.

The OPs dreams of BlackBerry being give a chance to return to using BB10 and catch up... are just dreams. In truth it will probably only hasten the end of support for Android 4.3 powered devcies.
    JeepBB and zocster like this.
    09-29-16 10:10 AM
    Still basically Android... and will not be a "reboot" of their platform like BB10 was for BlackBerry. Simply an evolution that will allow existing apps to work... but will also probably open up new capability for Apps, thus a push for developers provide newer versions of their apps to take full advantage of the new abilities and views.

The OPs dreams of BlackBerry being give a chance to return to using BB10 and catch up... are just dreams. In truth it will probably only hasten the end of support for Android 4.3 powered devcies.
    This isn't a dream of mine. Just wondering if anything that BlackBerry has in its toolbox could be of any use to either of the big players in the mobile space. Or if BlackBerry is simply going to be relegated to being an app supplier.

09-29-16 10:20 AM
    The walled garden of iOS is beautiful, "just works" with mobile and desktop experience. It will evolve through time for sure, but I don't see the need for iOS to change or create something new, other than a complete redesign of the iPhones which are rumored for 2017.
    I think the same. No need to radical iOS change for time being. iPhone users are not so crazy technology news consumers, in general they want just that their mobiles works well. And, if possible, that their data stay more secure than on Android world. And that's it.

Android I think is another story. It improved absurdly since 4.0 version, but still have to manage bugs, inconsistencies and platform fragmentation. So I think for Android, yes, it'll be good to see some degree of revolution. Which would, surely, make Apple do the same for their iOS as well.

Cheers,
    09-29-16 10:28 AM
    iOS and Android got big updates with iOS 10 and Android 7.0, optimizing the same old code and adding new features. I expect them to last a while without a new OS coming out, but you never know. I doubt they would any time soon because If it ain't broken, don't fix it! All apps would need to be recoded, so yeeaaahhhh.
    09-29-16 10:33 AM
    Yeah I don't get people who hate on IOS. Usage wise it's great. It just needs a better stock keyboard and something like the HUB. I dislike the cost of the devices but Apple charges what the market is willing to pay.
    zocster likes this.
    09-29-16 10:37 AM
    Yeah I don't get people who hate on IOS. Usage wise it's great. It just needs a better stock keyboard and something like the HUB. I dislike the cost of the devices but Apple charges what the market is willing to pay.
    I too don't like the cost... but I bought my wife one two years ago. She just traded it in for a new iPhone 7 at no cost... so overall it wasn't a bad original investment. I too think an all in one HUB would benefit her... but she seems happy with the notification tray.

What impresses me is how the hardware and software work so well together. Overall I'm happy with my Droid Turbo 2, but her older iPhone handles graphics and games much better than a Qualcomm 810 with MM.
    09-29-16 01:46 PM
    Obviously Apple and Google have learnt a lot from the BlackBerry debacle. They will try at best to avoid all its mistakes but technology has a habit of throwing a spanner in to the works.

BB10 whilst waiting.....
    09-29-16 02:01 PM
    I've wondered this for a while now. Especially after seeing the troubles BlackBerry has had switching from BBOS to BB10.
    Sure BlackBerry was responsible for a fair bit of its own pain. Perhaps it's a case study for how not to transition from one OS to another.
    Is the clock ticking for IOS and Android before they need to go back to the drawing board and start fresh? Or can both operating systems be refreshed for years to come?
    If they do need to start fresh, could BlackBerry seize the moment with any of its software offerings? Joint ventures...etc?

BBOS needed to be replaced because it was built upon and coded in Java. Granted they squeezed out as much as anybody possibly could have out of Java, the underlying problem is that Java isn't very expandable and has limitations. Android and iOS aren't prone to the same limitations as they're developed with lower level programming languages, and have the luxury to evolve as needs require. While they may occasionally re-code/rebuild core elements, there's never a need to "start over from scratch".

Despite what some may think... An OS doesn't inherently become stale over time simply due to age, and require complete rewrites. A competent development team that starts with a lower level platform like C/C++ can evolve and adapt when they need.

In a nutshell, BBOS had hit the threshold for usability with Java, couldn't advance any farther, and needed to be completely re-written with a lower level development platform.
    FahedAlDerbi and rarsen like this.
    09-29-16 02:12 PM
    Probably more important than the OS is the human interface with the technology. Is it voice? The new Apple high-end ear bud is another potential interface that may eventually have us talking with our computers for most tasks like in the movie "Her"

You have to have some pretty big resources and, more importantly, a long strategic window to play in this arena. BlackBerry is trying to make it year to year. That's not a recipe for bringing on the next new thing.
    09-29-16 02:24 PM
    Imo, this is the commodore 64 era for mobile phones. The windows for phones era is still to happen.

09-29-16 02:29 PM
    BBOS needed to be replaced because it was built upon and coded in Java. Granted they squeezed out as much as anybody possibly could have out of Java, the underlying problem is that Java isn't very expandable and has limitations. Android and iOS aren't prone to the same limitations as they're developed with lower level programming languages, and have the luxury to evolve as needs require. While they may occasionally re-code/rebuild core elements, there's never a need to "start over from scratch".

Despite what some may think... An OS doesn't inherently become stale over time simply due to age, and require complete rewrites. A competent development team that starts with a lower level platform like C/C++ can evolve and adapt when they need.

In a nutshell, BBOS had hit the threshold for usability with Java, couldn't advance any farther, and needed to be completely re-written with a lower level development platform.
    Yeah BlackBerry really had the same OS as most dumb phones... they just had taken it futher.
    But if it was at it's end.... why was there no planned replacement? If a few technical engineering types on CrackBerry said BBOS was at it's end in 2007, why was it 2010 before BlackBerry looked to replace it?

Don't really understand Microsoft and their... fumbling around with so many versions of Windows, that were not compatible with the last "platform" or the planned future "platforms".
    09-29-16 02:33 PM
    I feel this Andromeda os is going to be the act 2 case for Google.
    At one hand v r talking of maruOs to compete with continuum & on the other getting into laptops ???
    Just if the project islandwood comes through & intel brings the 5g chip, we wud be clear of all this mess. Phew

09-29-16 02:39 PM
    Yeah BlackBerry really had the same OS as most dumb phones... they just had taken it futher.
    But if it was at it's end.... why was there no planned replacement? If a few technical engineering types on CrackBerry said BBOS was at it's end in 2007, why was it 2010 before BlackBerry looked to replace it?
    I think it was two factors...

1) Despite evidence to the contrary, some developers though Java was the future because many believed hardware advancement would outpace software advancement. Silly notion I know. But I know a LOT of people in the tech industry that honestly believed that.

B) I suspect BB actually DID recognize it (after some stern pressure from the market). But as they'd proven time and time again, RIM had always had a lackadaisical attitude and work ethic and production efficiency when it came to development. I think BB10 was in production for a lot longer than people realize, but RIM was flush in employees who took their own sweet time and weren't exactly in a hurry to get anything done. Even when it WAS finally announced that RIM was working on a completely new OS, it dragged on FOREVER before their initial (and flawed) release.
    JeepBB and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    09-29-16 02:45 PM
    I too don't like the cost... but I bought my wife one two years ago. She just traded it in for a new iPhone 7 at no cost... so overall it wasn't a bad original investment. I too think an all in one HUB would benefit her... but she seems happy with the notification tray.

What impresses me is how the hardware and software work so well together. Overall I'm happy with my Droid Turbo 2, but her older iPhone handles graphics and games much better than a Qualcomm 810 with MM.
    This is the Apple philosophy. They are not out to rule the world with using the latest and greatest cutting edge technology. They want to take great technology and make it available to the masses. They are also only interested in the high end of the phone market. Look at the ASP for an iPhone vs all other phone manufactures. Apple can sell in less volume because they make so much more on each phone sale.

I have worked in the tech world for almost 30 years. Since about 2009 some of the smartest people I know in the tech world use iPhones - Why, because they just work and they don't want to get bogged down with the work it takes to get Android customized to fit your needs. BB10 users will say - they should have used BB10, but all of these people use their phone for much more than email. Many use apps to get their work done. They don't want to side load apps, find a way to jimmy GPS on their phones. They just want them to work. Apple is great at satisfying this market. Anyone who thinks Apple's market it teenage girls has not been around corporate America for the last 4+ years.
    app_Developer, JeepBB and MikeX74 like this.
    09-29-16 04:24 PM
35 12