can i keep my pin? im switching curve to a wty replacement curve but i want to keep my pin?

possible? and how? thanks
    01-19-09 08:20 PM
    can i keep my pin? im switching curve to a wty replacement curve but i want to keep my pin?

Not sure if this is possible. Recently in a Verizon Wireless retail store I head the technical support people tell a customer that the BB pin is associated with the phone itself, and not the telephone number, and therefore it could not be transferred. He suggested just SMSing all of your BB contacts with your new pin.

Not sure if this is totally true but it seems about right since BB says you can still BBM and communicate with pins even if email or calling on the cell service is down...
    01-19-09 08:32 PM
    the reason why i asked is because a friend of mine changed from the World Edition BB to the Storm and he kept his pin. he told me to use desktop manager and just do the BB device swap and it should do it. it never did =( i dont know if i was doing sumthing wrong
    01-19-09 08:36 PM

The pin is associated with the device and cannot be transferred from one device to another.
    01-19-09 08:36 PM
    the reason why i asked is because a friend of mine changed from the World Edition BB to the Storm and he kept his pin. he told me to use desktop manager and just do the BB device swap and it should do it. it never did =( i dont know if i was doing sumthing wrong
    DM will "read" the new PIN and recognize that it is a different device.
    01-19-09 08:37 PM
    u cant transfer pin. but when u do switch device in DM it transfers everything. it'll even trsfer over ur bbmessenegr contacts and everything so u can start using ur new phone without having ot do anything extra. at least that's how it was when i did device switch form my curve 8320 to bold.
    01-19-09 08:54 PM
    Sam is correct. Device switch will transfer all messenger contacts and people won't even know you got a new pin
    01-19-09 09:17 PM
    The pin itself is only one of several components that are unique to each device. Sorry you can't keep it. Though as was said when you use switch device wozard your contacts will only are your updated pin. When it works properly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-09 09:21 PM
    thx for the help guys
    01-19-09 09:31 PM
    kewl good to know it will transfer my messenger stuff through desktop manager
    01-20-09 04:44 PM
    When I changed devices I put my sim card in my new phone my device had a message on it saying that would you like to keep your PIN or something like that? Lol. But either way it just asked would I like to keep the PIN.
    01-20-09 06:36 PM
    When I changed devices I put my sim card in my new phone my device had a message on it saying that would you like to keep your PIN or something like that? Lol. But either way it just asked would I like to keep the PIN.
    Hmm, that is interesting. PINs are unique to each device. I think T Mob was trying to "punk" you personally.
    01-20-09 06:39 PM
    Pretty sure that it meant your SIM card PIN not your Blackberry PIN.
    07-16-09 02:38 PM
    as far as i know the pin is with the phone get a new phone get a new pin
    07-16-09 05:40 PM
    With T-Mobile, when you get a new or replacement device and put your sim card in, it will ask if you would like to update your pin now, Everyone that said PINs are device specific just like the IMEI (for GSM phones) or ESN (for CDMA) are correct,they are and cannot be transferred. Never seen it happen in the year and a half I've worked on Berrys. When it asks if you want to update your PIN it will transfer over your emails and BBM contacts. So it's not a huge inconveience if done correctly. Hope this helps
    07-16-09 06:02 PM
    The pin # is part of the mother board.
    07-16-09 06:12 PM
    shame you cant swap pin though, but if you can swap pin contacts like mentioned above then that would be ok. (thinking of getting the tour)
    09-09-09 12:13 PM
    It's definitely not possible to keep your PIN when changing BBs.
    09-09-09 03:58 PM
    shame you cant swap pin though, but if you can swap pin contacts like mentioned above then that would be ok. (thinking of getting the tour)
    You can easily swap BBM contacts and update your PIN without having
    to request anyone over again.

Backup your current phone fully on desktop manager. Then use that backup
    to restore on the new Tour. When you change to your device to your new
    Tour PIN number on your BIS account, your BBM contacts will remain and
    will be updated automatically.
    09-09-09 04:02 PM
    @thanks forever. I was just about to ask that. So your new users will have your new pin and not even know you changed devices? What if a friend has me on their bbm , and my pin is in their phonebook under my name. Will my pin automatically update there too?

09-09-09 04:19 PM
    @thanks forever. I was just about to ask that. So your new users will have your new pin and not even know you changed devices? What if a friend has me on their bbm , and my pin is in their phonebook under my name. Will my pin automatically update there too?

Only if they're using BBM5...
    09-09-09 04:20 PM
    Okay cool. Thanks.

09-09-09 05:18 PM
    forever 29 you are the man, nice 1 for the info, so is bbm 5 anygood?
    09-10-09 04:11 AM
    How long does the device switch wizard take usually to accomplish?
    09-15-09 06:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD