Hi everyone. I would like to buy the blackberry pearl. My question is how can I put a drug guide and medical dictionary on my phone? Do I have to have the internet plan? I have verizon as my provider. They are so expensive on their internet plans. My next quesion is, once I get the program on the phone do need internet to use the program?

Thanks,
    02-11-08 06:59 PM
    Would all depend on the program I suppose. I'd assume it wouldn't need an internet connection, but I could be wrong. Was there one that you were looking at?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-08 11:11 PM
    This is the 3rd post about the same thing!
    I know you are in need of info, but by multiple post we just keep repeating each other.
    02-12-08 04:47 AM
    I currently have a Curve and use Epocrates for drug info and Stedman's Med Dictionary. I like Epocrates because it is free and is constantly updated (though that takes a while). You could probably get away without using a data plan for Stedmans but you would have to have some kind of connection for Epocrates as it updates via the internet, and I would get unlimited plan for that because it takes a while to update.

Now, I am not sure if you can download both of these to a Pearl but my guess is that it should be okay.
    02-12-08 11:43 AM
    Epocrates only installs OTA (over-the-air) so I would think you would have to have a data plan.
    I use a program called PEPID (just do a google search). The reason I went with it was that the majority of it installs to the card - about 4 mb. Epocrates does not offer that for the BB - they do for a Palm. Plus I believe Epocrates is 2 x as big.
    PEPID also has the option of a dictionary to be installed at the same time.
    It is pricy - the drug book was $80 by itself. I sold my stupid Treo which covered the cost.
    The PEPID install was by way of cable and their own install program. I just can't remember what activation was like....? I am thinking that activation was required to be done over-the-air for whatever reason.
    I have used Epocrates for years with a Palm. PEPID is certainly different but works pretty well for a BB. I did not even bother to try the Epocrates on the BB due to the fact that it is a memory hog.
    The PEPID people will answer your questions pretty well. The Epocrates people will give you the run around.
    The PEPID program does not update over-the-air. I have not tried to update it just yet. Haven't really worried about it as there are only so many certain drugs that I write for and use on a daily basis.
    02-12-08 01:41 PM
    02-12-08 02:30 PM
    If you have a Blackberry on Verizon, you will be obligated to have a data plan. Go with a Windows Mobile, a Smartphone, or a Treo if you want to have your data blocked.
    02-13-08 02:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD