Note-Tested on Ubuntu 10.4 (lucid-lynx)

OK, this is pretty simple, but some people don't know about this.

1, Download the desired executable (.exe) file from the blackberry website.
    2. open synaptic Package manager- usually in :system-administration
    3. type in your password, when it loads up type in "wine"
    4. a multitude of files will open up, choose: wine 1.2 "gecko"
    5. mark "wine 1.2 gecko" for installation
    6. click apply and install, let it download the file(s), around 35 mb.
    7. it will take a while to install depending on the speed of your system.
    8. when it is finished, there will be a new sub-menu in your main-menu. it has settings and pre-loaded applications in it.
    9. locate your downloaded file from before.
    10. right mouse click the file and choose the option closest to "run with wine"
    11. it should load up relatively fast, however, sometimes it takes a while to load the files.

an extra note:
    the contents of the file will be installed in a virtual c drive, to get to it, locate the Wine sub-menu in your main one, and click "browse c drive"
    it is similar to your windows one (if you have one)

hopefully i will get some screenshots happening soon, any problems, just pm me

-dalethesnail
    12-20-10 09:38 PM
    You could also do it with VirtualBox as it's quite easy to setup, windows can be run within it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-10 11:45 PM
    yes, that is also an option, but i find that in a virtual desktop, it runs slower, but that might just be me haha
    12-21-10 12:52 AM
    Do you actually have the Desktop manager software running under WINE?

I thought it couldn't be done due to the .NET requirements, among other things.

12-21-10 06:47 AM
    Running the Desktop Manager under WINE is very buggy. I actually attempted it a few days ago.

Also it does not work under VirtualBox, as usb is unsupported.
    12-21-10 11:55 AM
    ...Also it does not work under VirtualBox, as usb is unsupported.
    Usb will work with VirtualBox but you need to download the non OSE version from the VirtualBox website.

You are correct about the Open Source Edition which is provided in the repositories. No usb support.

I could never get Desktop Manager to connect to my BB through VB. I finally gave up and set up a dual boot.

12-21-10 12:03 PM
    Really? Well Wine still doesn't do any of the crap I want it to do. So I'll have to stick with this Ubuntu 10.4 stand-alone, and a vista laptop for Berry stuff.
    12-21-10 12:08 PM
    I used to use Barry to back up my stuff. Now when it came to loading and unloading OSes, it came with a prog called bjavaloader. It wasn't perfect, but I was able to load OSes onto my old Berry when I had it, under linux.
    12-21-10 12:21 PM
    Really? Trying that now, if it works I love you.
    12-21-10 12:24 PM
    WINE is great for games, mainly. There are some apps it will play nice with, but for those not doing so, I resort to VirtualBox. Also, part of my personal problem with WINE is, having it in my multilib environment. I'm not sure if I want to give up my 64-bit setup, though. I like having a good chunk of my software compiled for 64bit in mind.
    12-21-10 12:29 PM
    Oh, just keep in mind: bjavaloader is done through the command line. At least for me it was because I run Slackware. I don't know how Barry is handled - if it's any better, or not, in Ubuntu and its derivatives.
    12-21-10 12:32 PM
    I pretty much do everything in Terminal. I'm installing an ISO I have of XP into virtual box since I just found out the one you download from the website supports USB xD
    12-21-10 01:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD