Hi everyone,

I am going to be traveling to Spain in April and I really need to have my email connectivity on my hip. As a Bell Sympatico '3-year' locked in plan, I've only got CDMA unless I upgrade to the $450+ Blackberry 8830. I tried one of these and found it's darn near impossible to type on them.

So the solution I came up with is to get a Blackberry 7290 GSM device off eBay for about $30 and hook it up to Rogers (unlimited email, $15/mth, no contract) for a month. Only problem with that is that while roaming, data charges are $52 per MB !!

My question, at long last is a semi-technical one. Can I in fact buy a 7290 and NOT bother to connect it to a local carrier here in Canada? Can I just go to Spain, get a SIM card there and somehow get set up on a data plan there for a few weeks, setting the thing up to use my usual POP email server? That way it wouldn't be roaming and the price would hopefully be better.

I would appreciate any advice you guys can provide.

Newberry
    01-28-08 10:46 PM
    Prepaid local sims with BB data are almost non-existent.

Unfortunatly, doing BB data "on the cheap" is a contradiction in terms.
    01-28-08 10:56 PM
    So is roaming the only option for me to get emails on my GSM berry in Europe or can I expect to find some sort of telco store there that can activate my berry instantly and give me access to my email?
    01-29-08 07:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD