I was discussing this in a previous post, so I will take what I put and place it here and please, just share your thoughts here. I want them to succeed but it is not going to happen as is. It needs to be Operation Clean Sweep.

We were discussing the importance of RIM licensing out BBM until they get their plan in place - but this needs to be their plan.

*Quote:
    Originally Posted by sosumi11
    I used the OS as an example. BBM is still proprietary to RIM.

What kind of ecosystem can RIM build from licensing BBM if that's the only reason to buy a BlackBerry device in the first place?

RIM has been skating to where the puck was for half a decade.

RIM no longer has the luxury of a long term plan
    End Quote*

You realize that your post is an admission of defeat and not one of vision?

The ecosystem is one they develop and use the BBM faithful as 'bait' to lure them back in. It's widely known as an awesome thing and the public was awash with joy that BBM would be readily available on another platform, showing that in fact it IS something they want to use. That maintains a relationship with something. This affords some time to develop something, but rapidly.

As for the future, RIM needs strong leadership immediately and simply to 'wipe the slate clean' and have a cogent plan with strict timelines that are kept (currently they allow deadlines to be missed because there is no accountability). Put strict accountability guidelines in place. With this, the public (and more importantly, shareholders) will be patient. They are patient now because this has become acceptable (missed deadlines and simple dismissal of concerns).

Nothing is left to chance. Everyone is accountable. Obviously the business model works (see: Apple)....so the proof exists if you'd like to see where and how to do it.

Ecosystem? Here you go.

1) One OS for ALL phones. No variations or different builds for various form factors.

2) Less form factors and a unification of design. Where Apple truly shines is that while only offering one phone, the aftermarket can fully embrace and design based upon the 'one model' available. How many different types of aftermarket products work with an iPhone? TONS! So what RIM needs to do is unify the form factor in a way that allows differentiation but maintains unification when it comes to components that it will interface with. What if the Torch 9810, Bold 99xx and Curve line all worked with the same charging dock that also allowed syncing of the phone wirelessly (think Touchstone and syncing wirelessly) or at the very least having a plug that is in the EXACT same location on every product so anything aftermarket works with it?

3) Media. Obviously iTunes just works. But Blackberry has worked well with Amazon MP3, so leverage that ecosystem. There is Amazon Prime, MP3, videos, cloud storage, all of it, ready and waiting to be used. It will cost, but without it, nothing else matters. Apple has it, Microsoft is nearly done with it (Zune software on the WP7 devices coupled with SkyDrive and Office products).

4) Apps. Obviously this needs to come from the same ecosystem. And this is where Amazon and BlackBerry need to get married right now. Yes, we're talking Android, but once Amazon builds a phone, BlackBerry is totally screwed. There would be no need to allow a BlackBerry access to Amazon in any way, shape or form. The ecosystem that is already in place will work.

5) Quietly develop QNX to work with all of this. Have a handset that will be able to be 'switched over' once the new platform is ready. Have your developers build the apps for both platforms and maintain them behind the scenes so once someone switches over, it's seamless. This is the hardest task but it is the ONLY WAY to make it work.

6) Handsets. Back to point 2 where I said unification. Currently, the handsets available are less than spectacular. Yes, they are the VERY BEST BlackBerry handsets ever made, but that's not good enough. Lazaridis is correct in thinking dual core is where it is at right now, but it's not the future. Quad core is your new standard. Focus there. Screw dual core. You've alreay missed the boat, so why start there two years behind? Wasted time and waste of money. Make three handsets. Three. Basic, Consumer and Professional.

Your Basic handset is close to the current Bold 9900/9930 with one exception...more screen and no buttons below the screen. The screen needs to be superAMOLED (this is the best looking screen today) and has to be at minimum 3.5" like the iPhone. In addition, make a 'home button' in the center above the keys that has a slight raised ridge to it that has haptic feedback (capacitive), providing a 'feel' to it that iPhone users are drawn to with the home button - that's one powerful thing. Flank that with a menu button and a back button. Both capacitive.

The Consumer device is a 4.3" screen, all-touch device that has almost no bezel. It is made of the same material as the Nokia Lumia 800/iPhone and has a slight curve to the device/screen as the Nexus S/Galaxy Nexus products. Make it feel incredible in the hand first and aesthetically/visually unique. Place stereo speakers on it (remember the Bold 9000?) because no one has that anymore. The entire front of the device is screen, with your home button still being there as above (consistency) flanked by the other two capacitive buttons. The screen needs to be superAMOLED HD (720p). This needs to be a redefining phone on every level. Made for games, fun, communication, ease of use, a simple extension of you. Something that by a simple touch you know EXACTLY where you are on the phone. That is a huge plus to a BlackBerry right now (and to some degree an iPhone with the home button).

The Professional device is exactly that. A super bad-a$$ business device. It's not the smallest phone at all and that's on purpose. it is designed to last for days on a charge (huge battery) and has an even better keyboard than the Bold 9900/9930 and is wider and taller than that model. People are buying big phones nowadays, so take advantage of that. Still use the same button philosophy as the above two phones. Still use a superAMOLED HD screen (720P).

Something that MUST happen in all models is this - text reflow. When you zoom in you can elect in the Settings to either have this or not. Also, a system-wide 'font style and size' setting like we see now, but in EVERYTHING, not just some things. The new Galaxy Nexus features that and it is a game-changer.

All phone should have notification LED's like the current models.

All phone models also need to have incredible cameras. The Nokia and iPhone models all have awesome cameras so why stop here?

7) Carrier support. tell the carriers that everyone is getting the EXACT same model but like Android, they can load their own exclusive apps that differentiate things. This will be the hardest one to pull off, carriers love to dictate what is going on. If the products is as good as you say it is, then say 'Sorry, you're out'. Apple calls the shots, so why can't we?

This is the tip of the iceberg but I have so many other plans for this all mapped out I really wish I could do this.

I would make one heck of a CEO if given the chance. I assure you I could pull this off
    spike12 and quik4life like this.
    12-30-11 01:22 PM
    IMO, it needs to be a simple plan; Lower the prices on all RIM products even if it means a major financial loss for 2012. RIM needs to put Blackberry back in the hands of consumers. Lets face it, RIM needs to start almost from scratch and their technology and prices do not compare with todays smartphones .....regroup and prepare for 2013 like theres no tomorrow.....just my humble opinion
    12-30-11 01:42 PM
    Excellent points. Let me add a couple more:

1) Build a feature-limited Android Bridge client. Possibly with its own e-mail client on the phone, but in any event it will broaden the market for the Playbook

2) Android's facial recognition sign-in is uber-cool. Use it (hint--that means adding a front cam... sorry guys)

3) I loved all that zoomy, put-the-phone-on-the-desk-and-it-connects-automatically NFC stuff. Get that on the market before anyone else and you'll wow the world. Bonus points for including inductive charging.
    [email protected] likes this.
    12-30-11 01:49 PM
    1) One OS for ALL phones. No variations or different builds for various form factors.
    COMPLETELY agree here

2) Less form factors and a unification of design. Where Apple truly shines is that while only offering one phone, the aftermarket can fully embrace and design based upon the 'one model' available. How many different types of aftermarket products work with an iPhone? TONS! So what RIM needs to do is unify the form factor in a way that allows differentiation but maintains unification when it comes to components that it will interface with. What if the Torch 9810, Bold 99xx and Curve line all worked with the same charging dock that also allowed syncing of the phone wirelessly (think Touchstone and syncing wirelessly) or at the very least having a plug that is in the EXACT same location on every product so anything aftermarket works with it?
    I like the idea of having unification in design. RIM has too many accessories for too many devices now.

3) Media. Obviously iTunes just works. But Blackberry has worked well with Amazon MP3, so leverage that ecosystem. There is Amazon Prime, MP3, videos, cloud storage, all of it, ready and waiting to be used. It will cost, but without it, nothing else matters. Apple has it, Microsoft is nearly done with it (Zune software on the WP7 devices coupled with SkyDrive and Office products).
    Again, just about right on the money with media. I dont think they should use Amazon though, i do believe they need to keep their current compliance, but add in iTunes. Millions of people use that crap software, and you are simply missing the boat if you dont tap into it (without having to convert everything)

4) Apps. Obviously this needs to come from the same ecosystem. And this is where Amazon and BlackBerry need to get married right now. Yes, we're talking Android, but once Amazon builds a phone, BlackBerry is totally screwed. There would be no need to allow a BlackBerry access to Amazon in any way, shape or form. The ecosystem that is already in place will work.
    At this point we start to digress. I dont think Amazon is the key here. Amazon is a platform yes, but doesnt offer anything any other android platform doesnt. I think the android player is a good start, but there is no need to get in bed with Amazon. If anything, RIM should be building a VM for Windows 8 into their devices. Make it as easy to port WP7/W8 applications over

5) Quietly develop QNX to work with all of this. Have a handset that will be able to be 'switched over' once the new platform is ready. Have your developers build the apps for both platforms and maintain them behind the scenes so once someone switches over, it's seamless. This is the hardest task but it is the ONLY WAY to make it work.
    Absolutely, but its too late in the game for this unfortunately. The Colt should have been released as a low end, finished product. Replace the Curve line with the Colt to start off BB10

6) Handsets. Back to point 2 where I said unification. Currently, the handsets available are less than spectacular. Yes, they are the VERY BEST BlackBerry handsets ever made, but that's not good enough. Lazaridis is correct in thinking dual core is where it is at right now, but it's not the future. Quad core is your new standard. Focus there. Screw dual core. You've alreay missed the boat, so why start there two years behind? Wasted time and waste of money. Make three handsets. Three. Basic, Consumer and Professional.

Your Basic handset is close to the current Bold 9900/9930 with one exception...more screen and no buttons below the screen. The screen needs to be superAMOLED (this is the best looking screen today) and has to be at minimum 3.5" like the iPhone. In addition, make a 'home button' in the center above the keys that has a slight raised ridge to it that has haptic feedback (capacitive), providing a 'feel' to it that iPhone users are drawn to with the home button - that's one powerful thing. Flank that with a menu button and a back button. Both capacitive.

The Consumer device is a 4.3" screen, all-touch device that has almost no bezel. It is made of the same material as the Nokia Lumia 800/iPhone and has a slight curve to the device/screen as the Nexus S/Galaxy Nexus products. Make it feel incredible in the hand first and aesthetically/visually unique. Place stereo speakers on it (remember the Bold 9000?) because no one has that anymore. The entire front of the device is screen, with your home button still being there as above (consistency) flanked by the other two capacitive buttons. The screen needs to be superAMOLED HD (720p). This needs to be a redefining phone on every level. Made for games, fun, communication, ease of use, a simple extension of you. Something that by a simple touch you know EXACTLY where you are on the phone. That is a huge plus to a BlackBerry right now (and to some degree an iPhone with the home button).

The Professional device is exactly that. A super bad-a$$ business device. It's not the smallest phone at all and that's on purpose. it is designed to last for days on a charge (huge battery) and has an even better keyboard than the Bold 9900/9930 and is wider and taller than that model. People are buying big phones nowadays, so take advantage of that. Still use the same button philosophy as the above two phones. Still use a superAMOLED HD screen (720P).

Something that MUST happen in all models is this - text reflow. When you zoom in you can elect in the Settings to either have this or not. Also, a system-wide 'font style and size' setting like we see now, but in EVERYTHING, not just some things. The new Galaxy Nexus features that and it is a game-changer.

All phone models also need to have incredible cameras. The Nokia and iPhone models all have awesome cameras so why stop here?
    Keeping 3 keys is nice and all, but stay away from the Apple design. RIM would definitely get caught in litigation (as they are apparently famous for) if this were the case. Keep the 4 keys, its not like they are that big an issue as is. There is no more need for a trackpad, the playbook has shown RIM *CAN* do touchscreens. I am thoroughly disappointed in the camera on the 9900. Up the camera to 8-10MP and make it autofocus at a BARE minimum

7) Carrier support. tell the carriers that everyone is getting the EXACT same model but like Android, they can load their own exclusive apps that differentiate things. This will be the hardest one to pull off, carriers love to dictate what is going on. If the products is as good as you say it is, then say 'Sorry, you're out'. Apple calls the shots, so why can't we?
    RIM isnt Apple, they cant pull that kind of move with them. They will have to bow to US carriers first. They might be able to strongarm other carriers, but not the US ones until they see massive upticks in subscribers.
    12-30-11 01:56 PM
    COMPLETELY agree here

I like the idea of having unification in design. RIM has too many accessories for too many devices now.
    This is something that is a gamechanger. No one but Apple is even coming close to this and the aftermarket segment is drooling for a new darling to build for.

Again, just about right on the money with media. I dont think they should use Amazon though, i do believe they need to keep their current compliance, but add in iTunes. Millions of people use that crap software, and you are simply missing the boat if you dont tap into it (without having to convert everything)
    Right now, licensing iTunes is a non-starter. They won't do it, which leaves Amazon. They'll take money from anyone. The other issue is cloud storage and Amazon gives FREE cloud storage to anything bought through their services. You can pay to add your own media, but Amazon media is free storage. They've invested in this so this need to be leveraged. This is the future and even Google is behind the 8 ball with this. SkyDrive (Microsoft's product) gives ANYONE 25 gigs for FREE. Google stores up to 20,000 songs (only songs) for free and Apple has iCloud with free for iTunes content but pay for your own.

At this point we start to digress. I dont think Amazon is the key here. Amazon is a platform yes, but doesnt offer anything any other android platform doesnt. I think the android player is a good start, but there is no need to get in bed with Amazon. If anything, RIM should be building a VM for Windows 8 into their devices. Make it as easy to port WP7/W8 applications over
    The ONLY concern is then compatibility....and WP7/8 won't work with two distinctly different ecosystems. Pick one, that's really all they can do. They're not a startup, they're in crisis mode.

Absolutely, but its too late in the game for this unfortunately. The Colt should have been released as a low end, finished product. Replace the Curve line with the Colt to start off BB10
    Yeah, but that milk has been spilled.

Keeping 3 keys is nice and all, but stay away from the Apple design. RIM would definitely get caught in litigation (as they are apparently famous for) if this were the case. Keep the 4 keys, its not like they are that big an issue as is. There is no more need for a trackpad, the playbook has shown RIM *CAN* do touchscreens. I am thoroughly disappointed in the camera on the 9900. Up the camera to 8-10MP and make it autofocus at a BARE minimum
    I do not want it to resemble Apple other than the fact the the Consumer device is close to it in size. I would like to see a phone with a radically different shape to it, not the rectangle that Apple has. Smooth edges, rounded, concave face like a Nexus product, three keys with one being a tactile capacitive button with haptic feedback and slightly raised...almost like a braille feel to it, so you know by feel where you are with vibration and touch. No one is doing that and I think it sets a new standard. The iPhone home button actually fails but provides such a wonderful 'connection' to the device; the feeling of home is very distinct. Provide that same emotion but in a more modern way.

RIM isnt Apple, they cant pull that kind of move with them. They will have to bow to US carriers first. They might be able to strongarm other carriers, but not the US ones until they see massive upticks in subscribers.
    Unfortunately (as I stated) this is the trickiest part, but honestly, search my posts today, I have some logic to it. Make the SAME handset for everyone, but allow each carrier to customize apps for what they want (Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon all have dedicated apps for their users. Make it something personal for the carrier but keep the look of the handset identical). The key is making ONE device, and by one device I mean each model is pentaband with both GSM and CDMA radios, and with CDMA, I also mean CDMA EVDO Rev B where data and voice can occur concurrently. This would force the carriers into having data and voice together, something that Verizon and Sprint would JUMP at. They would need to add the Rev B cards, but if they didn't, Rev A still works fine allowing them to upgrade if they so choose. Give something to the carriers they don't offer yet. It's future-proofing.
    Last edited by AliensWanted; 12-30-11 at 02:22 PM.
    12-30-11 02:12 PM
    COMPLETELY agree here

This is something that is a gamechanger. No one but Apple is even coming close to this and the aftermarket segment is drooling for a new darling to build for.

Right now, licensing iTunes is a non-starter. They won't do it, which leaves Amazon. They'll take money from anyone.

The ONLY concern is then compatibility....and WP7/8 won't work with two distinctly different ecosystems. Pick one, that's really all they can do. They're not a startup, they're in crisis mode.

Yeah, but that milk has been spilled.

I do not want it to resemble Apple other than the fact the the Consumer device is close to it in size. I would like to see a phone with a radically different shape to it, not the rectangle that Apple has. Smooth edges, rounded, concave face like a Nexus product, three keys with one being a tactile capacitive button with haptic feedback and slightly raised...almost like a braille feel to it, so you know by feel where you are with vibration and touch. No one is doing that and I think it sets a new standard. The iPhone home button actually fails but provides such a wonderful 'connection' to the device; the feeling of home is very distinct. Provide that same emotion but in a more modern way.

Unfortunately (as I stated) this is the trickiest part, but honestly, search my posts today, I have some logic to it. Make the SAME handset for everyone, but allow each carrier to customize apps for what they want (Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon all have dedicated apps for their users. Make it something personal for the carrier but keep the look of the handset identical). The key is making ONE device, and by one device I mean each model is pentaband with both GSM and CDMA radios, and with CDMA, I also mean CDMA EVDO Rev B where data and voice can occur concurrently. This would force the carriers into having data and voice together, something that Verizon and Sprint would JUMP at. They would need to add the Rev B cards, but if they didn't, Rev A still works fine allowing them to upgrade if they so choose. Give something to the carriers they don't offer yet. It's future-proofing.
    I somewhat agree, RIM needs to keep things as simple as possible, but I would say two(2) handsets
    [email protected] and ekv like this.
    12-30-11 02:19 PM
    COMPLETELY agree here

I somewhat agree, RIM needs to keep things as simple as possible, but I would say two(2) handsets
    Why would you do two handsets?

To me, three is ideal. the Basic for the average BlackBerry enthusiast. The Consumer for the average non-BlackBerry enthusiast and the Professional for the corporate BB user. They all have a very targeted demographic.

Currently, Android has a magillion handsets, and they are all starting to look alike. Apple has one, and EVERYONE knows what it is. BB has a look, but a dated look. There's a degree of artistry to a design, where it has to look right, feel right and emote right. Tie all three in and you have a winner.
    12-30-11 02:56 PM
    IMO, it needs to be a simple plan; Lower the prices on all RIM products even if it means a major financial loss for 2012. RIM needs to put Blackberry back in the hands of consumers. Lets face it, RIM needs to start almost from scratch and their technology and prices do not compare with todays smartphones .....regroup and prepare for 2013 like theres no tomorrow.....just my humble opinion
    Your theory would be totally sound if our national carriers in North America didn't bind us to to two or three year contracts. We'd be suffocating folks into a dying (nearly dead) platform, asking them to spend precious dollars on apps that will not work, as they are legacy-based, and having the watch countless other awesome handsets mature that can be upgraded from an OS standpoint.

If the phones were $100 OFF-CONTRACT and below, there would be a really great selling point. It's an interesting gamble if that's your theory. If your theory is to make all phones free and tie them to a contract, that won't work. We've seen it fail already. $49 Torch, anyone?
    12-30-11 03:22 PM
    Fantastic post

Don't agree with it completely, some points I do, I think the unified OS will ad baggage like Android does, and a unified installer, and tools would work better for apps to not need to care what version of the OS is running, as I don't think all the QWERTY modules are needed on Full touchscreens, nor the full touchscreen modules needed on the Handhelds

I HATE HATE HATE your idea of designs, as a 1 handed user I hated the Droid Pro not having my trackpad, to remove it from the bold would kill the bold for me, and make it a 2 handed device to select items in the top corner of the screen

I also hate the no bezel, because I would expect RIM to use QNX, and QNX has bezel based gestures, RIM needs to expand this to the phones, to make the playbook seem more natural

The reason Apple Calls the Shots and RIM doesn't is because Apple has the demand, and Apple also isn't charging the Carriers $5/month for device management, the Carriers are 4 Billion HIGH MARGIN dollars a year income for RIM, you don't them off, because what kills you is if the Carrier drops RIM people can't even use an unlocked BB on their network.

How do you think this device philosophy will work in RIM's current high growth markets? what price points are you looking at for off contract pricing? you can't dictate on contract pricing, but would open up to your mind set where you think these full devices built with quad cores and giant batteries can sit in the pricing game.
    12-30-11 03:35 PM

I agree NOT to go 100% amazon, but also don't go all to itunes, RIM needs to build their own Media distribution channel, they've started with BBM Music, from BBM Music there needs to be a connector to a market place to buy your music, be it from Amazon, be it from other services, and a growing RIM service, if you rely on partners you run the risk RIM did by Trusting in Marvell, who just couldn't deliver products and resulted in RIM's hardware falling behind, and them RIM didn't drop them fast enough and kept giving them another shot, if Amazon suddenly broke the relationship RIM would be back at square one, if they have multiple markets it also encourages competition within the market place and creates deals. and RIM COULD eventually ask for a bigger portion of sales like Apple does, and if they don't like it they could leave RIM's market place
    12-30-11 03:41 PM
    I agree NOT to go 100% amazon, but also don't go all to itunes, RIM needs to build their own Media distribution channel, they've started with BBM Music, from BBM Music there needs to be a connector to a market place to buy your music, be it from Amazon, be it from other services, and a growing RIM service, if you rely on partners you run the risk RIM did by Trusting in Marvell, who just couldn't deliver products and resulted in RIM's hardware falling behind, and them RIM didn't drop them fast enough and kept giving them another shot, if Amazon suddenly broke the relationship RIM would be back at square one, if they have multiple markets it also encourages competition within the market place and creates deals. and RIM COULD eventually ask for a bigger portion of sales like Apple does, and if they don't like it they could leave RIM's market place
    If RIM is going to do this, the media needs to be cross-platform, not Blackberry-only. I want music I can listen to on my desktop, laptop, smartphone. I have no use for music that only works on a single device. I do purchase mp3s from Amazon, but they are not restricted to use on a single device.

It's like the @carrier.blackberry.net email account. I don't use it, since I have no use for emails I can't view or reply to on a computer.
    12-30-11 04:21 PM
    If RIM is going to do this, the media needs to be cross-platform, not Blackberry-only. I want music I can listen to on my desktop, laptop, smartphone. I have no use for music that only works on a single device. I do purchase mp3s from Amazon, but they are not restricted to use on a single device.

It's like the @carrier.blackberry.net email account. I don't use it, since I have no use for emails I can't view or reply to on a computer.
    I agree! Music Within BBM Music should be only within BBM Music, you want to take it out, you buy the music you want via MP3 just like you would on Amazon.
    12-30-11 04:45 PM
    RIM would benefit from a desktop app.

Instead of BlackBerry Desktop Software being a worthless syncing and restoring application it should actually have some functionality.

Make it so users can sign in with their BlackBerry ID and access BBM, calendars, emails, etc. You could start your BBM conversation on your laptop and then take it with you on your BlackBerry.

Just an idea.
    MXBerry likes this.
    12-30-11 05:28 PM
    RIM would benefit from a desktop app.

Instead of BlackBerry Desktop Software being a worthless syncing and restoring application it should actually have some functionality.

Make it so users can sign in with their BlackBerry ID and access BBM, calendars, emails, etc. You could start your BBM conversation on your laptop and then take it with you on your BlackBerry.

Just an idea.

Could be technically feasible with a BlackBerry Bridge idea for laptop connectivity, and would be cool, though I'd use it more for BBM Music to get to manage play lists on a big screen
    12-30-11 06:07 PM
    Alot of your ideas are basically "make it more apple" which people wont go for imo. Why get the new BB apple copy when you can just get the real thing.

They need to stand on their own two feet, stop letting the media destroy them daily, fix the old tech and bugs. With some decent pr theyd be having no trouble in todays market, as is seen outside america where sales are huge.
    ekv likes this.
    12-30-11 07:51 PM
    I am excited by the new design language as seen in the London and Milan prototypes.

Design is going to be important this year, because Apple has painted themselves into a corner. The iPhone is an admirably clean design, iconic, even, but at this point it's been around long enough that some may be ready for something more distinctive. The trouble Apple has, though, is that any significant change runs the risk of alienating the truly zealous.

The new BBs look cool. Thin, but angular and somehow more substantial than the iPhone.

The Android makers aren't bound by the same constrictions as Apple, of course, but frankly I'm not seeing much in the way of compelling design. Most of them seem to be trying to copy Apple, which will lead them over a cliff. For better or worse, Apple without Jobs isn't the same.
    12-30-11 09:42 PM
    Fantastic post x 100.... I hope some of this free advice gets where it needs to be. Threds like this provide highly valuable information to RIM. I can think of many ways they could leverage the info (they probably do)
    12-30-11 10:13 PM
    Some excellent ideas here. deRussett, I think we have found more members to add to our RIM board nominees slate along with Kevin M. and you.

RIM are you reading this? Hire these people. RIM desperately needs VISION.

Please continue...
    12-30-11 10:41 PM
    Great thread, but if I had to boil down what RIM needs to do with the QNX/BB10 phones I would say: Make it sexy, make it sleek, make it last almost a week.

Exaggerating on the battery life thing, but looks sells phones, cars, clothes, everything. Make them look good, and last a long time, and of course have the awesome email/FB/Twitter integration, BBM, and throw in a good helping of cloud services for free (free 1gb storage, free syncing of tunes to Windows/Mac if bought off of BBM music etc.).
    12-31-11 12:41 AM
    Thanks everyone, lets keep this thread going with some more excellent input. I will try to continue to add more things as they come to me.
    01-03-12 11:23 AM
    Here's my input for the day - MEDIA.

I know I touched on it already, but whoever is first and best at media content will be crowned the victor.

Apple is about to have a conference that will discuss media and I am certain it will be about what they will be doing to support media moving forward.....like how Steve Jobs said he 'finally cracked it' with regards to television.

I suspect they are going to unleash an all out assault with media consumption for 2012 and whoever doesn't have the chops, well, they're finished in the major markets.

Third World sales pay the bills, but lose the war.

I hope RIM can make some radical changes. I would hate to see them go down in flames.
    01-03-12 11:48 AM
    Its not just media, its all information. Look at WP7, trying to give you EVERYTHING you could want at a glance. Look at Siri, talk to it, and it gives you access to your information. Could anyone look this up in their device easily? Yes, but its "cooler" to talk to your phone and have it read back to you. RIM needs to simplify the information it provides and make it easy to get to. Most consumers dont want to have to open a dozen applications to get the info they need. They want it immediately, and easily in front of them.
    01-03-12 11:54 AM
    I was discussing this in a previous post, so I will take what I put and place it here and please, just share your thoughts here. I want them to succeed but it is not going to happen as is. It needs to be Operation Clean Sweep.

We were discussing the importance of RIM licensing out BBM until they get their plan in place - but this needs to be their plan.

*Quote:
    Originally Posted by sosumi11
    I used the OS as an example. BBM is still proprietary to RIM.

What kind of ecosystem can RIM build from licensing BBM if that's the only reason to buy a BlackBerry device in the first place?

RIM has been skating to where the puck was for half a decade.

RIM no longer has the luxury of a long term plan
    End Quote*

You realize that your post is an admission of defeat and not one of vision?

The ecosystem is one they develop and use the BBM faithful as 'bait' to lure them back in. It's widely known as an awesome thing and the public was awash with joy that BBM would be readily available on another platform, showing that in fact it IS something they want to use. That maintains a relationship with something. This affords some time to develop something, but rapidly.

As for the future, RIM needs strong leadership immediately and simply to 'wipe the slate clean' and have a cogent plan with strict timelines that are kept (currently they allow deadlines to be missed because there is no accountability). Put strict accountability guidelines in place. With this, the public (and more importantly, shareholders) will be patient. They are patient now because this has become acceptable (missed deadlines and simple dismissal of concerns).

Nothing is left to chance. Everyone is accountable. Obviously the business model works (see: Apple)....so the proof exists if you'd like to see where and how to do it.

Ecosystem? Here you go.

This is the tip of the iceberg but I have so many other plans for this all mapped out I really wish I could do this.

I would make one heck of a CEO if given the chance. I assure you I could pull this off
    I hope Jim and Mike read this.
    01-03-12 12:13 PM
    I was just discussing this with a co-worker.

Amazon.

Amazon is poised to take over for Apple as the top provider in the mobile environment. It was reported earlier today that they literally stole over a $1B in sales from Apple (some say less, some say more) and this is their tip of the iceberg moment.

Let me explain.

Amazon, which provides nearly anything you would need, consume or want, has built a very solid ecosystem. They have added FREE cloud storage for ANYTHING bought inside their ecosystem (Apple has that too, but you cannot stream from it the way you can with Amazon) and on top of that, they work with others (Android allows you to use Amazon App Store, Amazon MP3 purchases, Amazon Apps, Amazon Kindle app and more) and this is the main separator.

Amazon was really wise to sell the Kindle Fire for $199 (the magic pricepoint). I bought two for my two oldest kids and they won't put them down. On top of that, my boss says his wife will ALWAYS use her Prime membership because simply put, it works and she has clout and content for a low, low price. At $79/year, it feels closer mentally to a quick math calculation of 'around 5 bucks a month', whereas had they priced that at $99 people would round up to 'about ten bucks a month' and that's 'double' for the law of averages.

They really planned that out.

I'll elaborate further.

The Kindle Fire was a HUGE hit and put MILLIONS into their ecosystem...and it's an ecosystem that works on your desktop, mobile device, cloud, everywhere. now all they lack is a handset.

Here's where RIM comes in. Handsets.

I believe QNX is awesome in its own right, but, is it the future? Does RIM have the ability to transition over to it and maintain their customer base? Who knows. Well, Amazon knows. They need a handset. A solid, incredibly well built handset.

Imagine a BlackBerry that worked seamlessly with Amazon services? All of it. Yet, one that still maintained all of the 'BlackBerry-ness'? It's all right there, ripe for the taking. All RIM needs to do is go to the dark side to do it.

Android.

Sorry for the curse word in this forum (Android) but you know what, Amazon figured it out better than Apple did. They play well with others and yet still keep you in their playground all at once.

Amazon needs great handsets and what if they went to a phenomenal handset manfacturer who already had thousands of developers working on handsets/tablets on a HUGE OS that is only growing and growing and growing.

Sure, will it be difficult to admit defeat with your OS? Yep, it will sting. A lot.

It will also save your company.

They (Amazon) WILL build a phone. I believe that they went to RIM and asked them PRECISELY that earlier in the year and RIM stood proud (and now, alone) and might have missed the boat.

Here's the rub. Unless Amazon has secured a deal, RIM stands in an exclusive position with a solid customer base, ones who are fiercely loyal and want to see a future. They can leverage this if they have the right vision.

Give the masses what they want. Apps.

Make these three handsets I meantioned before, make them work on Android/Amazon, leverage the databases/customer bases, add in some BlackBerry exclusives (BBM anyone??) and then add some other features that Android lacks and needs desperately....and guess what?

You're on top.

RIM would own certain rights, licensing and more and BOTH companies would put a HUGE dent not only in Apple but in the Android ecosystem with something that no one has done yet; a totally mature and full ecosystem.

You can use Amazon Prime for shopping, TV, movies, then MP3 store, FREE cloud storage for ALL of your content (seriously, this is the biggest feature), streaming ability on everything...and a unified OS across all handsets....how is this a bad idea?

How could this NOT work?

It simply needs to be said, put into motion and then money's in the bank.

Seriously, I know it's admitting some level of defeat but it SAVES the company from destruction. , the company that made the PlayBook made the Fire, so there's that relationship that's already there. Not to mention the gestures of the PlayBook OS could be leveraged into future versions of the Amazon/BlackBerry OS, and that would be really slick. People LOVE the gestures (webOS lovers are still shopping for a family, people, make room for them, nice and neat).

Still, all the time, RIM quietly develops QNX, adds in the proprietary licensed software and the FREE OS provided by Google (thanks chumps) and guess what, you're off to the races with something that NO ONE else has.

Please, someone, tell me how this would NOT work? I simply cannot see this being anything less than working.

Let me recap what I'm saying. Amazon works on these devices:
    1) Android handsets
    2) BlackBerry handsets (limited functionality)
    3) Apple products (with limited functionality)
    4) Desktops
    5) Laptops
    6) Tablets (except iPad - no Amazon streaming - hmmm, I wonder why that is?)
    7) Roku devices (and other streaming media devices)

So imagine a BlackBerry handset that worked with all of this, seamlessly? Why is this bad? Someone's going to build it....someone is going to profit from it. Imagine adding BBM to all of these devices? How is that not getting people back into the BlackBerry ecosystem if you can leverage all of this with BlackBerry and Amazon working together? Amazon getting into the Enterprise business and BlackBerry getting more into the Consumer business? How is this bad?

I simply see the future being hand-fed to BlackBerry if they incorporate a future vision and rid themselves of their pride. Pride doesn't pay the bills, past accomplishments are things you tell your grandchildren. Technology moves at 100 miles an hour.

RIM, time to hit the gas.
    Last edited by AliensWanted; 01-03-12 at 01:32 PM.
    MXBerry likes this.
    01-03-12 01:10 PM
    This would, in a single fell swoop eliminate their ENTIRE business market, their ENTIRE NOC infrastructure, their ENTIRE software development team (ok maybe not entirely but pretty close). RIM would become a simple Android manufacturer with the likes of HTC or Motorola. I do not see this as a solution for them. They have not proven they can produce a high end piece of hardware, on time, and with any hype. They are, at best, a mid range hardware manufacturer. Solidly built devices, about 8 months too late spec wise.

On the flip side, why cant QNX do this? They already have the android app player that does "most" this already. If they can tweak it so Amazon products work out of the box, and preinstall the BAR files in all OS downloads, seems to me they can have their cake and eat it too. Build a great mobile platform that is more future integrated than any other (cars for instance being a BB accessory) AND give the instant access to all media/cloud features that you want. Make every PB owner pay for a prime subscription to access these features. I know I would happily. Amazon gets $80 a year from every PB subscriber (for the sake of argument), and RIM gets to tout its Amazon integration like the fire. Market the Playbook as Amazon did the fire, have Amazon back them up on it.

The hardware and software are easily capable of this. Personally I have not touched an android tablet that performs as well (task to task, not including things the PB DOESNT have) as the Playbook, and iPad experience (i am a bit biased here) just seems "pretty" but lacking.
    anon(3956470) and tack like this.
    01-03-12 01:22 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD