All of us that own a Playbook know how much bridge is an awesome feature.
    For those who don't, a short resume (provided you have a Blackberry phone):

- Allows PB to connect to Internet virtually anywhere, using your phone data plan (i.e : no extra plan required - some restrictions may (officially) apply for AT&T subscribers)
    - Allow your phone to display several items on the PB screen like photos, emails or web pages (via a link in a mail, for instance)
    - Allow your phone to control remotely your Playbook; touch enabled phones like the 9900 even offer bezel-like gestures
    - Allow your Playbook to access several apps of your phone like emails, contacts, agenda and BBM (some restrictions : groups, for instance). The Playbook acts there - say - as an extension of your phone, displaying what it (the phone) holds without ever copying it.
    - Allow Playbook to monitor an incoming call and to reject it.

We've heard about a bunch of additions, notably a better BBM integration and texting (SMS) over bridge for the PB (as we saw in the QNX car demos interface several times). Great. We also heard about a mysterious "bridge over Wifi" capability ... still mysterious, but if we think technique, then we can't miss the data transfer rate increase it will offer.

Now (inspired by this thread : http://forums.crackberry.com/general...aybook-728161/ ) I wonder how far Bridge can lead, in a BB10 perspective. There has been a lot of reactions here about the co-existence of BB7 and BB10 and things "phone can and PB can't"; I wonder how bridge can be an answer.

The situation : I own a PB, subscribed a two years data plan, BB10 is out but I still love my BB7 9900 that can't upgrade, neither can I afford spending hundreds of $ in a new phone.

Then, the dream machine :
    An OTA upgrade notification hits my PB and half an hour later, my PB runs BB10.
    A single checkbox in bridge setup asks : "integrate advanced features". I tick it.

My phone rings ... And the wonderful Cascade U.I of PB displays a screen "flowed" with the caller informations and meetings status.
    Wait ! On that particular screen, there's a green phone icon ... whazzaaat ? I hit it. Chrystal clear stereo sound (did I switch to VOIP - saving my phone battery ?); "hello dear ... sorry, I'm late but I'm on the way" [she does not believe me] "look ! I'm in the car, main street" [I've just enabled the video capture] "BTW you look gorgeous, can't wait".
    I.am.a.winner
    (I've got at least 5 more like this, but I guess you get what I mean)

Now, what do you think ?
    Is this gonna be a native capability of BB10 or will developers have the tools to create such an amazing app (if you are one able to: PM me : NOW), or the only way to have this happening is ... to keep sleeping and dream ?
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 06-05-12 at 04:12 AM.
    06-05-12 02:45 AM
    Well I think that all this integration with the vehicle and distributed processing will eventually fall under Bridge. There is no reason NOT to market it that way. Also things like DLNA between the two devices (Think Microsoft Glass here) playbook and phone, or even add your car into the mix. Be able to walk into a meeting and seemlessly push an presentation to all playbooks AND monitors in the room, with a single one being able to use the processing from all others around that are logged into the meeting. Showing things like complex 3D models would become vastly easier.

Why stop there? Build a desktop/server Bridge app (or use BES/BDS/Fusion) to allow a backend server to perform the heavy lifting while the Playbook acts as a viewer/input device. Similar to Citrix but native into the OS.

The possibilities are endless, especially when you start Bridging over WiFi.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-05-12 04:38 AM
    Well I think that all this integration with the vehicle and distributed processing will eventually fall under Bridge. There is no reason NOT to market it that way. Also things like DLNA between the two devices (Think Microsoft Glass here) playbook and phone, or even add your car into the mix. Be able to walk into a meeting and seemlessly push an presentation to all playbooks AND monitors in the room, with a single one being able to use the processing from all others around that are logged into the meeting. Showing things like complex 3D models would become vastly easier.

Why stop there? Build a desktop/server Bridge app (or use BES/BDS/Fusion) to allow a backend server to perform the heavy lifting while the Playbook acts as a viewer/input device. Similar to Citrix but native into the OS.

The possibilities are endless, especially when you start Bridging over WiFi.
    I refrain to mention DLNA (one may think I'm monomaniac !)... but have it in mind permanently .
    Of course remote feature (I mean "PB as a display client") is a part of the game, and my underlying thoughts were wider than bridge: QNX devices interoperability.
    But little steps make great projects !
    06-05-12 04:50 AM
    Well RIM has already displayed the basics of this with the TAT conferencing app. They need to release this in practice rather than just showing these demos. I would love to have this set up in a conference room at work.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-05-12 05:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD