Hey everyone,

I'm getting my pearl tomorrow through Telus. My friend works there and said no matter what email I use, it's always push. I'm just confused though, if my provider is POP3, how is it push? Does the telus blackberry internet server just keep checking my mail every few seconds non stop and send to me, or does it check every minute or so? If thats the case then its not really push since my old treo used to have to check every few minutes itself. Can someone explain how this works?
    02-22-08 11:20 AM
    Basically you're not going to set up the actual pop account on your device. Instead you'll set it up through BIS which can be configured through your device. The blackberry servers will then maintain a persistant connection to your mail server and push a new email to your device when it arrives.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-08 11:26 AM
    Exactly. POP3 is an email protocol and is not the same thing as push email. Push email is more of a name than it is a protocol. Think of it this way. It's like having your email client on your computer forwarding an email to your BB the second it's sent.
    02-22-08 11:40 AM
    From what ive been told, bis isn't true push.

The simple way of explaining it is that the more email you get, the faster you get it. That's the jist of it.
    02-22-08 11:29 PM
    From what ive been told, bis isn't true push.

The simple way of explaining it is that the more email you get, the faster you get it. That's the jist of it.
    I only have a blackberry.net email address on my phone which I rarely ever use. But I always receive emails instantly.
    02-22-08 11:46 PM
    Of course you're gonna get BlackBerry.net e-mail addresses almost instantly - the e-mail account is owned and hosted by Research in Motion (RIM) themselves!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-08 02:53 AM
    Hey everyone,

I'm getting my pearl tomorrow through Telus. My friend works there and said no matter what email I use, it's always push. I'm just confused though, if my provider is POP3, how is it push? Does the telus blackberry internet server just keep checking my mail every few seconds non stop and send to me, or does it check every minute or so? If thats the case then its not really push since my old treo used to have to check every few minutes itself. Can someone explain how this works?
    If you use the carriers blackberry/mobileemail address then when a message is sent to this address it is pushed out to your blackberry instantly.
    If you use a POP3 account, then the RIM servers check your mail using the POP3 mail protocol every 15 minutes, if there is any new mail picked up, this is then pushed out instantly to your device.

So, 15 mins should be the max you wait for a message unless it is sent to your carrier email address.
    Mike
    02-23-08 08:12 AM
    If you use the carriers blackberry/mobileemail address then when a message is sent to this address it is pushed out to your blackberry instantly.
    If you use a POP3 account, then the RIM servers check your mail using the POP3 mail protocol every 15 minutes, if there is any new mail picked up, this is then pushed out instantly to your device.

So, 15 mins should be the max you wait for a message unless it is sent to your carrier email address.
    Mike
    Dirky,

You've explained it very well.

Keep on Crackin',

- CB
    02-23-08 08:29 AM
    The best thing to do is create a Blackberry email address and forward your Pop3 to it, it works instantly then..... that's what I did.
    02-23-08 09:15 AM
    I only set up my yahoo email address & it comes instantly.
    02-23-08 09:18 AM
    I only set up my yahoo email address & it comes instantly.
    I should have said that yahoo and gmail work differently. ie no 15 min delay whilst waiting for RIM to POP your mail account.
    D
    02-23-08 09:58 AM
    The best thing to do is create a Blackberry email address and forward your Pop3 to it, it works instantly then..... that's what I did.
    +1. Works great.
    02-23-08 10:14 AM
    sorry to rehash an old thread but what about IMAP accounts like my university e-mail address? How long will that take...assuming I DON'T have it forwarded to gmail/blackberry email account.----NEVERMIND FOUND OUT ANSWER (15 min as well)

New question:

If I have my Gmail and My .edu email's both getting forwarded to my blackberry, then I get an email and reply to it, can I have the blackberry send it FROM the original address it was sent TO?

Ie someone sends me an email to my @gmail.com, it gets fwded to my blackberry.net email, pushed to my device, i reply, they recieve it, on their computer it says that it was from [email protected]?

Someone else sends me an email to my @blah.edu, it gets fowded to my blackbery.net email, pushed to my device, i reply, they recieve it, on their computer it says [email protected]??

Is this possiblee? Pleaseee help, thank you!!!
    04-24-08 09:49 AM
    I've got a filter set up on my gmail, so that every new message is forwarded to my blackberry email. From the BIS login I was able to set the reply address on my blackberry email as my gmail addy.

Any gmail email I reply to using my BB appears to have been sent from my gmail addy, and not the blackberry one. The only thing is that the message isn't then kept in the gmail sent folder but I can live with that
    04-24-08 11:13 AM
    Any gmail email I reply to using my BB appears to have been sent from my gmail addy, and not the blackberry one. The only thing is that the message isn't then kept in the gmail sent folder but I can live with that
    That's GREAT. Now how about email you recieve from a different account, or in my example my school account. Could I have that appear to reply from my school account instead of my gmail account depending on where they originally sent the message?

Finally, what do you mean it's not kept in the sent folder? I thought that's what BB automatically does, they BCC you a copy of the messages you send tagged for sent items?
    04-24-08 01:22 PM
    There's not necessarily a 15 minute delay with IMAP accounts. If the server support IMAP-IDLE (push from the IMAP server), then the e-mails come in a few seconds, barely slower than blackberry.com addresses.
    01-07-11 08:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD