Ok so under the normal os i can not find a way to change the LED color for different things but they have apps to change the LED color

1) how does the led have so many colors when using the apps (ie berrybuzz)

2) why arent those colors options w/o the the apps
    01-02-10 08:43 PM
    1) That is how the app was created..
    2) Because then they couldn't charge you the $ for dl'ing the app.
    01-02-10 09:05 PM
    I guess rim doesnt see it as a valid feature
    01-02-10 09:13 PM
    Like the LED in the 8100 the LED for notifications is of the RGB type.

It has 4 pins. One cathode for each value Red, Green and Blue and one common
    cathode.

By assigning specific values to each of the cathodes you can change the colors

For instance:
    Red = FF000, Blue = 0000FF, Green = 008000, Orange = FFA500, Yellow = FFFF00

2) I suspect that it has not been adopted by RIM because the device started out as
    a device for business people and other professionals. Highly unlikely a Lime Green LED
    was a priority for them. RIM is not the fastest company to change.
    01-02-10 09:24 PM
    Ok so under the normal os i can not find a way to change the LED color for different things but they have apps to change the LED color

1) how does the led have so many colors when using the apps (ie berrybuzz)

2) why arent those colors options w/o the the apps
    It is a multi whisker light and by combining different whiskers and the amount of current to each whisker you get the different colors and intensity of each color. Very similar to a TV. They have only Red, Green, and Blue color guns, but when used in combination you get millions of different colors out of just those three. As far as why those colors options aren't available without specific apps, you would need to pose that question to the developers at RIM.
    01-02-10 09:26 PM
    RIM probably wants everyone to use the standard convention. Blue for bluetooth, red for missed call, etc. They use a multi-color led so that they can just use one led for multiple colors, rather than installing a blue led, red led, etc. It wasn't their intention that people customize the color.
    01-02-10 11:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD