I have been a Treo user for years and now want to upgrade to a blackberry and would appreciate advise with respect purchasing the Storm or Bold.

I will use this mostly for business, but would like to play with it as well. The 3g Internet is critical for me as I spend alot of time on NJ Transit commuting into NYC.

I currently use Sprint so I have to change carriers. Therefore, that is not a consideration. My guess is that the prices will be close so that is not a consideration for me.

Thank you.
    09-28-08 08:48 AM
    Well the Storm is a better phone, but it depends on what you like better. Do you like touchscreens, if so go for the storm, if not get the bold. It also depends on which carrier you want to switch too. You can probably get an unlocked storm on sprint if you wanted too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-08 12:11 PM
    There's pros and cons about both devices. it all depends on what you want in a device.
    09-28-08 01:07 PM
    I have been a Treo user for years and now want to upgrade to a blackberry and would appreciate advise with respect purchasing the Storm or Bold.

I will use this mostly for business, but would like to play with it as well. The 3g Internet is critical for me as I spend alot of time on NJ Transit commuting into NYC.

I currently use Sprint so I have to change carriers. Therefore, that is not a consideration. My guess is that the prices will be close so that is not a consideration for me.

Thank you.
    I would get a wireless card for your laptop, because neither is going to be very effective for web browsing during a 2 hour commute. Even the iphone 3g is a bit tedious after awhile to surf..
    09-28-08 01:20 PM
    Your first statement almost makes me believe you are leaning towards the Storm.

The Bold is not touchscreen and the Storm is. The is pretty much the biggest difference. The Bold for AT&T will have wifi and I know living in the city/northern NJ, there is an abundance of wifi signals.

In landscape, it will be suretype. Can you deal with that?

09-28-08 01:21 PM
    It comes down to what you need out of the device. Having used both, they are great devices. Contrary to popular belief both are designed to accommodate the corporate user. The question ultimately comes down to weather or not you want a touchscreen or not.
    09-28-08 01:27 PM
    I do not know why one of responders refers to the Storm as a better phone.
    As I see it, the Bold has Wifi and the Storm has the better camera and that is the fundamental choice. But I would like to hear what others think.
    09-28-08 01:28 PM
    Personally I'd go for the Bold. I text ALOT and texting on a touch screen isn't nearly as easy or convenient. I had a touchscreen for a week and swapped it out for the Curve because texting was just taking too long.

If there's a full screen keyboard on the Storm, which I assume you could get if not, it might be decent but I have really small fingers and touched the wrong buttons all the time on the touch screen I had, and busting out a stylus to text is just ridiculous.
    09-28-08 01:29 PM

Thank you.
    Those 2 things would make the Bold more advantageous... that is, when ATT finally gets it!

Yes, the Storm on VZW will have 3G as well... but the Bold on ATT's 3G network would probably be more what you are looking for!
    09-28-08 01:36 PM

In landscape, it will be suretype. Can you deal with that?

Umm, isn't it suretype in portrait mode and qwerty in landscape?
    09-28-08 03:45 PM
    I do not know why one of responders refers to the Storm as a better phone.
    As I see it, the Bold has Wifi and the Storm has the better camera and that is the fundamental choice. But I would like to hear what others think.
    What's not better about it? Better browsing experience, and better for media. Easy to use touch interface, and doesn't 4.7 have more features? It just has no wifi. It is all about preference though. Do you want a touchscreen.

Last edited by avt123; 09-28-08 at 03:55 PM.
    09-28-08 03:52 PM
    What's not better about it? Better browsing experience, and better for media. Easy to use touch interface, and doesn't 4.7 have more features? It just has no wifi. It is all about preference though. Do you want a touchscreen.

avt123 or anyone:
    I know about the touch screen differences. I aslo know that Storm has a slightly better screen resolution.
    Why is the storm better for media? What other features does 4.7 have.
    BTW, what can you do with WiFi on a blackberry and why is it important??
    I am a newbie.
    Thanks,
    Mitch
    09-28-08 04:02 PM
    The storm is better for media due to its screen size.
    You can do anything you want with WiFi that you can do with CDMA or 3G, its just quicker and easier with WiFi. Its not important for me to have WiFi because VZW's speeds with this CDMA on the network is fast and reliable. When I surf for fun I am mainly on youtube, here, or some type of technology site. When I surf for work its on google or equipment for my industry. I can do all those things right from my VZW BB, I don't need a laptop or WiFi. So my main point here is since you are on Sprint, live and work in the NY metro area like I do, you should go with Verizons Storm because that will be available to you much sooner than the AT&T Bold. I also do not like AT&T's service reliability compared to VZW's.
    I will say this. Going from Sprint to AT&T or VZW would be an improvement. Good luck.

09-28-08 04:26 PM
    I am trying to decide between the two as well.

The Bold should be out on the 4th of November and the Storm on the 15th.

I had an iPhone and really didn't like it. I'm not sure if it was the touchscreen I didn't like or just the iPhone itself.

Wi-Fi is a big plus with me, it will come in handy when streaming with QIK at some functions.

I have heard though that AT&T will be getting the Storm eventually and should have wi-fi but this is all speculation.
    10-28-08 08:00 AM
    Bold is faster by a bit. If you like touchscreens, get a storm.

10-28-08 12:44 PM
    Bold is faster by a bit. If you like touchscreens, get a storm.

I had the iPhone and didn't really like it. I really like my 8830WE. I liked my Treo 700p. I think I need to get the Magnum whenever that is going to be released - :P
    10-28-08 12:46 PM
    If email is what you most of the day, the Bold might be a better choice with physical keyboard. On the other hand, the Storm is just so nice to have a bigger screen and better resolution. Sorry, I can't make up my mind either, not until I have them BOTH.
    10-28-08 01:03 PM
    If email is what you most of the day, the Bold might be a better choice with physical keyboard. On the other hand, the Storm is just so nice to have a bigger screen and better resolution. Sorry, I can't make up my mind either, not until I have them BOTH.
    No help to me -

They are essentially the same phone.

Bold 2.0 MP Camera
    Bold Wi-Fi

Storm 3.2 MP Camera
    Storm No Wi-Fi
    10-28-08 01:24 PM

Thank you.
    Hands down you will want to go with the BlackBerry Bold! Being a business user the Bold will allow you to multi-task! The Bold powered by AT&T fast 3G network will allow for simeltaneous voice and data which means you can browse the internet and send/receive emails while on your phone! In addition the bold has wifi which the Storm will not...this will allow you to access any free wifi hotspot or any of the thousand AT&T hotspots including Starbucks! In addition to the business benefits the screen on the Bold is amazing and watching movies/videos is fantastic. I don't even use my iPod anymore because with the BlackBerry Media Sync I was able to take most of my iTunes music (see BlackBerry site for details and restrictions) and playlists right onto my Bold and with 1G internal memory and ability to hold up to a 32g card the BlackBerry Bold is the better choice!
    11-17-08 08:01 AM
    If it were me I would go for the real keypad and get the Bold. Thats just me though.
    11-17-08 09:44 AM
    i would go with the bold, its fast and professional.
    11-17-08 10:33 AM
    I would go with the bold. Yeah the touch screen might be great and fun at first, but when it comes down to constant use a physical keyboard is just more convenient.

11-17-08 02:03 PM
    I have a Bold now and can tell you that it's a great phone, but like I said earlier in this thread, it's all about preference.
    11-17-08 02:08 PM
    I think it all depends on what your needs are. If you're a heavy e-mailer and/or texter, I'd get the Bold. While one can get "used" to a touchscreen, I think that, at the end of the day, having a physical keypad is best.

If your priority is multimedia, I'd get the Storm. The Bold's screen might be amazing, but when it comes to watching multimedia content, bigger truly is better.

With respect to internet browsing, I'm torn. While the Storm will most likely render pages better with its large screen, I think that I'd get pretty tired of having to swipe my finger to scroll through web pages. I'd much rather just hit the space bar to scroll. Also, the Bold has wi-fi, which is pretty nice.

For me, I'm picking the Bold. While I will use my Blackberry to watch videos from time to time, I will primarily be using it for business. Also, with respect to web browsing, I think that having to scroll through web pages with my finger will get annoying after a while.
    11-17-08 03:19 PM
    i was between the both but decided on the bold cos I get frustrated enough on my ipod touch (my fingers are chubby ok!).... i love the bold and im a text-addict so keys are better than touch screen.

Also the no wi-fi really made the final sway...
    11-17-08 03:27 PM
60 123