Personally, if it's apps like netflix which is virtually, if not, exactly the same as using a BlackBerry App, then I don't mind. But if it's one of those apps that take a long time to load, slow or anything that isn't at least virtually like a BlackBerry App then I don't like it.

Posted via CB10
    silversmith75 likes this.
    07-01-14 11:08 PM
    I only use BBW apps, I find all other to buggy.

Posted on CB10
    07-01-14 11:10 PM
    Here's my preferred app option list by priority:

1) BlackBerry World
    2) Android app
    3) No app

Option 3 sucks, so I'll deal with option 2 if option 1 doesn't work.
    07-01-14 11:20 PM
    Depends on the app. Like you said, if it's something like Netflix where there's minimal interaction with the app and load time isn't too bad, then it's no big deal. But if it's an app that's slow loading, requires a fair amount of user interaction and the interface is all jerky, or just plain broken in some way - then it becomes a pain. It's not just about having the app, but also the experience of using the app.
    07-02-14 12:51 AM
    Will they even work properly as far as background services / notifications? Can anything be done about how badly most of them suck on a 1:1 screen?

If I really wanted to run Android apps I'd sell my Q10 for whatever pittance it's worth 2nd hand and buy an Android which will run them properly, with proper system integration and permissions controls.

Android apps on a Q10 feel decidedly 2nd class, a pale workaround instead of a consistent experience.

Posted via CB10
    bbq10l, johnm137 and RexLucius like this.
    07-02-14 01:03 AM
    I don't mind having Android apps instead of BlackBerry, the only problem is that the performance is sh!t and then there's the lack of push notifications for most of them.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 01:18 AM
    If at all possible, I prefer to use a native app. Some of it is wanting to support the developers, some of it is that I really like the UI and native apps perform better.

That said, if I need a specific app and it isn't available in BB World, I will use an Android app. I probably have about 4 or 5 that I use regularly.

It would be great to see BlackBerry recover enough market share that it encourages developers to support the BB10 platform. Time will tell, but I don't expect it now for a few years.
    07-02-14 01:21 AM
    I always prefer using a native app if it is available and will gladly pay and/or donate for a third party developer to create one if it works well. I really like the Cascades design language, headless and hub integration that only native apps can provide. But I will use an Android app if no BlackBerry one is available.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    07-02-14 01:47 AM
    I never understood the "if I wanted to have android apps i would have bought an android" argument. Was the android run time not here since day one? Did we think it was just for show? The writing has been on the wall since bb10 came out, come on now.

I agree that native apps are always better in terms of speed and flexible fluidity, however adoption of the largest apps like instagram and netflix have not even bothered to port over. We either sink or swim.

Like many have said if BlackBerry can get android apps working 100% including push notifications and headless, I'll be a happy camper!

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 02:05 AM
    Who cares as long as it works...

Could be ph for the future - runs any os app ^^

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3247
    07-02-14 02:33 AM
    I never understood the "if I wanted to have android apps i would have bought an android" argument. Was the android run time not here since day one? Did we think it was just for show? The writing has been on the wall since bb10 came out, come on now.
    I’m guessing most people expected or hoped that native apps would be the norm and Android apps nothing but an added convenience to bridge the app gap. That is unfortunately not what has happened. Those users who care about third-party apps will have no other choice but to install Android ports or Android apps. For that you may legitimately ask yourself whether BlackBerry has enough to offer elsewhere. Personally, I’m growing tired of these sluggish, battery-draining apps with long load times, occasional crashes and lack of push notifications.
    07-02-14 04:36 AM
    Just BlackBerry World!!!

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    07-02-14 04:39 AM
    I know it's clich�, but it's exactly how I feel: if I wanted to run Android apps, I'd have bought an Android.

Native apps run better and have better integration with the hardware and OS.

When BB announced the Amazon deal and 2 more physical keyboard devices, I saw the writing on the wall. BB is going in a direction that makes total sense for them right now and I hope they succeed. But it's not a direction I want to follow.
    Posted from my Nokia Lumia 822 using Tapatalk
    07-02-14 08:14 AM
    You are going to like the way android apps perform on for finished build of 10.3

The GIF Exchange C001B7B16?
    07-02-14 08:16 AM
    On my Blackberry, Blackberry apps only. If I absolutely need apps not native to Blackberry, I'll use my tablet or my Ipod Touch, but I am not contaminating my Q10 with Android anything.
    acovey likes this.
    07-02-14 09:05 AM
    On my Blackberry, Blackberry apps only. If I absolutely need apps not native to Blackberry, I'll use my tablet or my Ipod Touch, but I am not contaminating my Q10 with Android anything.
    That's kind of ridiculous. Your phone was built with android apps in mind, it was designed to run them. It runs them in a safe environment and you aren't contaminating anything. Unless this is some kind of OCD thing, in that case I am sorry.

Icarus3000 and mornhavon like this.
    07-02-14 09:30 AM
    1) BBW
    2) Mobile App-they work flawless all the time on a BB10 device.
    3) Android App.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 09:53 AM
    That's kind of ridiculous. Your phone was built with android apps in mind, it was designed to run them. It runs them in a safe environment and you aren't contaminating anything. Unless this is some kind of OCD thing, in that case I am sorry.

Perhaps by "contaminate" he means "cheapen".

I'm finicky when it comes to this, but I want my OS and app experience to have some kind of unified, recognizable design language. Running Android apps on BB10 just taints the overall experience for me. I don't care how well the Android apps run, I'll always feel like it's a hodgepodge, tacked-on solution.
    acovey likes this.
    07-02-14 09:58 AM
    I welcome it with open arms. Love BB10 but I probably would've switched by now if I couldn't use android apps. Me personally, I feel like I'd be missing out on too much. That's just me though

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 10:50 AM
    I've used Android ports out of BBW. Poynt.

But use Amazon or some third party store? Never have and strongly doubt I ever will.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 10:50 AM
    I prefer Browser instead of Android apps most times.

Fx. I use http://iphone.livescore.com instead of a livescore android app.

But I have few banking apps, where I use Android apps, so I'm really happy for the Android app support.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 10:56 AM
    I prefer Browser instead of Android apps most times.

Fx. I use http://iphone.livescore.com instead of a livescore android app.

But I have few banking apps, where I use Android apps, so I'm really happy for the Android app support.

Posted via CB10
    The link looks much better and smartphone friendly in BlackBerry Browser, than in in-app-browser for Crackberry.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 10:58 AM
    I don't mind having Android apps instead of BlackBerry, the only problem is that the performance is sh!t and then there's the lack of push notifications for most of them.

Posted via CB10
    Agree on this. Better to have them though, th runtime really needs to improve.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 11:05 AM
    There are some Android apps that push notifications to the Hub. I'm not sure why some do and some don't. Maybe this will become more consistent as the Android runtime is further optimized for BB10.

Example: I have Words With Friends, from the Amazon app store. When my opponent plays, I get a Hub notification. Interestingly, I previously had the app from Snap, and I didn't get notifications.

I also have the Clean Master Android app, which I use to clean out Android junk files occasionally. It gives me Hub notifications from time to time.
    07-02-14 11:11 AM
    if they work fine i dont care. when it lags and splash screen is for 20 seconds then i get mad
    07-02-14 11:19 AM
132 123 ...