I have decided to abandon Android in favor of BB10, so I bought a Z30 STA100-5 from eBay. Here's the deal: This Z30 originally belonged to Telus, but the phone has been unlocked. I will use this phone on T-Mobile USA. I believe the STA100-5 runs on T-Mobile pretty good. But I'm confused about OS updates. Will the updates be pushed through Telus even though I'm on T-Mobile? Or will the updates come straight from BlackBerry just like phones bought from shop.blackberry.com?
    Please do enlighten me. Thank you in advance
    jimlockhead likes this.
    03-03-15 10:24 PM
    This phone would be considered a "carrier phone," which means that the phone would look for Telus-approved updates. The only phones that get updates directly from BB are factory unlocked phones. Plus even then, SIM card seems to take priority, i.e. if you're on a carrier that hasn't released an update (like TMO,) even your factory unlocked phone won't find the update until you take your SIM card out.

That's not to say you're SOL. There are many ways to get updates even if you have an uncooperative carrier.
    03-03-15 10:30 PM
    Try to take you sim out restart your phone with sim out. and search for update. See if that works.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 10:35 PM
    Am I making a bad decision here? Should I cancel my ebay order?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-03-15 10:42 PM
    Am I making a bad decision here? Should I cancel my ebay order?
    Not necessarily. Like I said, there are other ways to get official OSes even if your carrier (and mine) does not push them out. The question is how much work. Here are some alternate ways:

1. Get a Canadian SIM--active or inactive--and you can get OTA updates that way when you swap out your TMO SIM.
    2. Use desktop software known as Sachesi, which basically makes official OSes available to you whenever they're released. And you can load any Z30 model's OS on the -5.
    3. Install OSes via autoloader installation. This is probably the most work, because it wipes your phone during the install process.
    Smitty13 likes this.
    03-03-15 10:50 PM
    Thanks for the help. So that means that I could install the factory unlocked OS version on a telus Z30, and then my phone would be exactly as if factory unlocked?

I mean like if I grab the official 10.3.1 auto loader from BlackBerry's website, my phone will just like as if purchased from shop.BlackBerry.com?

I'm coming from Android, so sorry if I sound naive

Last edited by outlooker; 03-03-15 at 11:31 PM.
    03-03-15 11:17 PM
    Thanks for the help. So that means that I could install the factory unlocked OS version on a telus Z30, and then my phone would be exactly as if factory unlocked?

I mean like if I grab the official 10.3.1 auto loader from BlackBerry's website, my phone will just like as if purchased from shop.BlackBerry.com?

I'm coming from Android, so sorry if I sound naive

The "leak" OS version is sometimes the same as the official one carriers push, though usually the leaks are ahead.

Right now, my unlocked Z30 that I got from Shop BlackBerry still does not have 10.3.1.

I had a leaked version of 10.3.1 a couple months ago on it, but I put a sim card adapter in my Z30 the wrong way and it broke the gold pins inside, and I had to get a replacement Z30, which has 10.2.1 installed, and BlackBerry has not pushed out 10.3.1 for many Z30 users. I've tried to download many leaks, but after they're downloaded, my PC tells me the file is damaged or can't be read, and it doesn't open, so I'm stuck waiting for 10.3.1 on my Z30, but enjoy it on my Passports.

You will have to get the Autoloader from CrackBerry, because BlackBerry does not approve of or condone leaks and doesn't have them on their site at all. Don't be nervous though. Before about two or three months ago, I had been loading leaks for years on even my old BlackBerrys, like the Bold 9700, but never had a single problem where the phone stopped working or something.
    03-03-15 11:42 PM
    I wasn't talking about leaks. I meant official auto loaders available on BlackBerry's website

03-04-15 12:05 AM
    I have decided to abandon Android in favor of BB10, so I bought a Z30 STA100-5 from eBay. Here's the deal: This Z30 originally belonged to Telus, but the phone has been unlocked. I will use this phone on T-Mobile USA. I believe the STA100-5 runs on T-Mobile pretty good. But I'm confused about OS updates. Will the updates be pushed through Telus even though I'm on T-Mobile? Or will the updates come straight from BlackBerry just like phones bought from shop.blackberry.com?
    Please do enlighten me. Thank you in advance
    If the phone is Unlocked, it'll use the Network Carrier of your choice, for instance, your using T-Mobile sim. When you switch it off and insert the T-Mobile sim card, the phone will configure to T-Mobile settings & Network when booting up. Same with all other Network sims you use. Any updates will be pushed through T-Mobile or which ever Network your using at the time.

As the device is unlocked, it can be updated without a Sim card, this update will come directly from BlackBerry.

Either use OTA, wi-fi only
    BlackBerry Link
    Or direct from the BlackBerry website.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Craigash; 03-04-15 at 03:22 AM.
    03-04-15 02:45 AM
    I wasn't talking about leaks. I meant official auto loaders available on BlackBerry's website

Well autoloaders don't come from BlackBerry's website.

They are usually built by CrackBerry.com members.
    But you know they can't be fraudulent or anything because you cannot change the OS on a BlackBerry 10.

In order to go into the files and change the OS itself you need Official BlackBerry Signing Keys, to "sign" the OS as BlackBerry themselves and the build an autoloader.

So autoloaders are basically official, they are all made by originally from BlackBerry themselves. I have a thread with autoloaders if you would like an autoloader that has been built and tested by me.

Or you can head to Bit.ly/AUTOLOADERS where CrackBerry.com member Thurask has a huge database of autoloaders ready for download on a BitCasa account (ALL CREDIT GOES TO THURASK!)

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    03-04-15 03:10 AM
    Bought a unlocked Classic through BB Shop use a Rogers sim and have had two updates through BB link just connected phone opened link and it told me update was available .
    03-04-15 06:16 AM
    Well autoloaders don't come from BlackBerry's website.

They are usually built by CrackBerry.com members.
    But you know they can't be fraudulent or anything because you cannot change the OS on a BlackBerry 10.

In order to go into the files and change the OS itself you need Official BlackBerry Signing Keys, to "sign" the OS as BlackBerry themselves and the build an autoloader.

So autoloaders are basically official, they are all made by originally from BlackBerry themselves. I have a thread with autoloaders if you would like an autoloader that has been built and tested by me.

Or you can head to Bit.ly/AUTOLOADERS where CrackBerry.com member Thurask has a huge database of autoloaders ready for download on a BitCasa account (ALL CREDIT GOES TO THURASK!)

But I have SEEN official auto loaders on the Blackberry website! Here they are: http://developer.blackberry.com/blac...toloaders.html

03-04-15 07:06 AM
    But I have SEEN official auto loaders on the Blackberry website! Here they are: http://developer.blackberry.com/blac...toloaders.html

Yes but those are all OLDER and DEVELOPER OS Versions.

Meaning that they are not meant to be used on a daily driver.
    Many times they don't include many apps like the music video and picture app.

Your much better off downloading a newer OS autoloader.

03-04-15 07:11 AM
    If you have factory unlocked phone there is no need to take the SIM card out. Just be on wi-fi and turn Mobile Network off under Settings and you will get the OTA update from Blackberry.

Passport and 10.3.1.2243
    chaosdivine likes this.
    03-04-15 09:51 AM
    I just went through this with two Z10 STL100-3 locked to Telus, first one bought off eBay (had a blacklisted IEMI - cost me $20 to unlock to find that it couldn't be used as a phone, just a fancy MP3 player). I was able to return that for a full refund because it was bought through eBay. Their policies covered my bacon. But I was out the initial unlock fee of $20. Second Z10 was bought locally but had a broken screen. I chose to buy the parts to repair it and then I unlocked it too (got a discount unlock code from my vendor for $10 luckily). This time, the phone had a non-blacklisted IEMI and it fully works on my carrier (Wind - AWS carrier).

Anyhow, what am I getting at? The second Telus locked Z10 was able to immediately get OS updates from the carrier when I initially turned it on to set the phone up from it's security wiped state (blank phone). As part of the setup process, it asked me to download the updates. First update was about 1GB to some version of 10.2. THEN it found an additional 1.5 GB update to 10.3.1. This was all before I was actually able to do anything with the phone. I did NOT put my SIM card into the phone until I tried to unlock it much later on. The unlocking of the phone went successfully and the Wind SIM card worked no problem.

See my WIND carrier still hasn't released the 10.3.1 update. Telus on the other hand released the update right away. So if you're buying a Telus phone, you will get the 10.3.1 update if you set it up properly from a factory wiped state (like I did). The unlocking part is the gamble in my opinion because you don't know if you have a blacklisted IEMI until you try to unlock it. Basically your phone will give you network connectivity errors and advise you to call your carrier. If you did your homework on which radio bands your carrier needs to use in order to function properly, you'll be alright with your eBay purchase. But you won't know if you have a blacklisted IEMI until you try to unlock it. That's what I'd be worried about.
    03-04-15 10:52 AM
    In short: OP, if you're willing to put in a little bit more work than what goes into an OTA update download, we at CB got your back.
    03-04-15 01:15 PM
    I spoke with T-mobile's tech support today and they had no plans for a carrier released update and advised me to contact Blackberry. Their rep said that from a technical standpoint removing the sim card to get an update makes no difference and that it is coincidental that users received their update after doing so. On a positive note, the rep hadn't received any complaints from T-mo subscribers who have updated their phones thru Blackberry.
    03-04-15 06:26 PM