i will be traveling oversea soon. i'm thinking of using the phone (voice) only for emergency and data thru free wifi in hotel or cafe. so i dont want a $1000 phone bill when i come back home. so how do i know for sure when i'm using 3g, uma, or wifi?
    01-04-10 04:36 PM
    Best idea is to turn off the Wireless radio unless you need to make a call. Just keep the WiFi radio on to use data only.
    01-04-10 04:40 PM
    As said above.

Plus when the Wifi logo is whited out that means it's active. Same goes for UMA.
    You'll see the UMA logo on the homescreen where the signal bars are instead of
    seeing EDGE or 3G.
    01-04-10 04:42 PM
    I have a similar predicament coming up, I have a 5 day boys trip going to Las Vegas in a few weeks and whilst I'm 99% sure I won't get any charges I just have this niggling feeling I could come back to one **** of a bill as I hammer the thing pretty hard.

To bring myself to a happy conclusion I am going to take a payg sim that has roaming with me, I know for sure the sim connects to uma over here and it has roaming activated so I will try using that for the first day and see how the credit is deducted then swap back to my contract sim for the rest of the trip. I feel pretty confident that if uma is charged at UK rate on a payg sim it will be charged the same on a contract sim.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Tinyk; 01-04-10 at 05:03 PM.
    01-04-10 05:00 PM
    Vegas? Boys trip? Don't let mike knock ur tooth out!

01-04-10 06:33 PM
    Vegas? Boys trip? Don't let mike knock ur tooth out!

I instantly thought of the same thing too! HAHA
    01-04-10 07:51 PM
    it should say "uma" on your phone
    01-04-10 09:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD