My work has me setup through their BES. I know to set it up, I have to put in a password that my work supplied me with. What do I do if I don't want to receive those emails anymore? How do I undo the original setup with the password without actually being removed from the BES??
    09-05-08 05:09 PM
    I think you will have to contact your BES admin with that questions. And he/she is sure to ask you what you are trying to accomplish by turning off your email.
    09-05-08 11:06 PM
    Actually I have nothing to hide. The reason for it is because I receive way too many emails b/c of all the distribution lists I'm on. I can't filter out un-wanted emails that can wait until the next business day. What I want to do is setup up an email on the Blackberry (@blackberry.net), then setup an Outlook rule in my mailbox to auto forward emails to my blackberry address, but then I can add exceptions, etc. This way I can filter out all the stuff I really don't care about during non-business hours. Our BES admin never returns calls and would probably blow me off anyway....
    09-06-08 07:00 PM
    Let me see if I've got this right, and maybe I can offer a suggestion: you get work emails round the clock that you don't care about reading at night, so you'd like to shut them off until the next day. You get other, personal emails to the same email address. Those you want to read, but can't filter them from the flood of work emails. If that's your situation, would a possible solution be to use a separate email address for your personal email? You could have a separate email inbox just for it. Your personal mail will still go to the Messages folder along with all the BES mail; you can't stop that, but at least all your personal mail would be in a separate place as well. You could just ignore the Message Folder at night.

Would that work?
    09-06-08 08:03 PM
    Is it that you don't want to have your work email, calendar, address book, etc on the blackberry? you could wipe handheld and opt not to do an enterprise activation. Your firm might not be so happy with you forwarding company emails to an external address and if you use the mail client to do the email forwarding (as opposed to doing the forwarding at the mail server) you introduce several other potential problems....outlook would have to be running all the time, it is also possible to misconfigure outlook and create mail loops (very bad). There are probably several other good reasons to not do what you suggest....but its late here in the UK.....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-06-08 08:17 PM
    i'm pretty sure you have to be removed from the BES server. (as far as im aware, could be wrong)

try the BES section of the forum?

jeffH he probably wants to filter out the emails in which come through a distro list. they could pile up within minutes.

filtering through outlook is a pretty good idea, i'm gonna try it too.
    09-06-08 09:01 PM
    You got it. I'm a helpdesk manager. All my emails are work related. I get all of the helpdesk emails which is like hundreds a day which get forwarded through DL's. I don't need to see these on the Blackberry. I only want to see work email that's send directly to me. As far as Outlook always being up, that's only true if you build the rule on the client. If the rule is created on the server, it will process without Outlook having to be up, and as for forwarding my email, I don't think they would care it's being forwarded to an outside email, because the emails are only informational for me. I don't really respond to emails via the Blackberry. I just need to stay informed of meeting requests, conference calls, etc.
    09-07-08 02:26 PM
    If there's something consistent in the from address or subject line of the helpdesk emails, then you can certainly filter them. Since you're on BES, you can setup the filter directly on your device. It's pretty simple. Take a look at the option under messages. I use filters to sound a special alert for messages from a certain address. In your case, you could set the action to "do not forward." I haven't tried it, but it should work.

09-07-08 02:37 PM
    If there's something consistent in the from address or subject line of the helpdesk emails, then you can certainly filter them. Since you're on BES, you can setup the filter directly on your device. It's pretty simple. Take a look at the option under messages. I use filters to sound a special alert for messages from a certain address. In your case, you could set the action to "do not forward." I haven't tried it, but it should work.

Sweet. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
    09-08-08 10:04 AM
    Or you could have those "Helpdesk" emails setup to go to a sub folder, and then NICELY ask your BES admin to tell it to NOT sync those folders. Issue resolved. If you still want to get those emails, just not have them appear on your mail Message list, you can "File" those messages and go into your Message options and set it to "Hide Filed Messages"

I'm a BES admin and I know what it's like to get 200 emails a day, 20 calls a day of which take over an hour each when the users aren't technically supposed to be calling me directly because they are affectivly cutting infront of the people who are going about it the correct way, sending in HD tickets.

I'm the only one in my company who manages the BES, The attachment server, the Goodlink server and the statistic server that stats both of them, all the users on them, manages both national carrier contracts as well as supports all the devices between the carriers, BB's, Treos and Aircards. If your BES admin is anything like me, give him/her a break. =P
    Last edited by sniffs; 09-08-08 at 12:19 PM.
    09-08-08 12:16 PM
    So after playing around a little. I figured out how to achieve this without pissing off the BES admin. It was pretty simple, but I just never realized the option was there. I went to options-email filters, and just put all the DL addresses in the "To" field, set it to "Do not forward" and voila. Pretty sweet actually. I'm still getting all my meeting notices from my calendar and still receiving all of the emails directed towards me personally, but not receiving all the DL forwarded stuff. I'm still getting those in my Outlook, but I just didn't want them on the BB. Thanks for all the replies!
    09-09-08 11:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD