I know Desktop Manager has a BB to BB transfer feature, but is there anything else in the meantime I can do to speed up the transfer of info between phones while I'm waiting for the Bold to come out on Verizon?
    05-02-10 01:40 PM
    In case you have purchased 3rd party applications, make sure you can transfer any licenses that are tied to your PIN once you get a new device. Should you have purchased applications through MobiHand or CrackBerry App Store then you can login to your account at Smartphone Apps and Smartphone Accessories - MobiHand Store, where you can find a section under My Apps that allows you to change your device PIN. This in turn will regenerate licenses for your purchased applications when issuing a new PIN to the system. In case you have purchased software like Shazam, then you must manually contact the support team of said software and ask them about possibilities of transferring your license to another BlackBerry.

Make sure to backup all your media to a Media Card. I don't remember if Desktop Manager takes care of your media files, but just in case it's good to get them on a separate medium anyway (and swapping a Media Card in a new device is probably the quickest and most convenient way to get media data transferred).

Not much else though.
    05-02-10 02:21 PM
    I would add one thing. Do a remote backup of your BBM contacts if you use BBM. You can backup to a storage card or to your email. I have actually used the email restore and it is painless and very accurate.
    05-02-10 04:49 PM
    Just backup your current BB and restore the data on the new one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-10 06:09 PM
    Just backup your current BB and restore the data on the new one.

So I should do that instead of a BB to BB transfer that is also an option in DM?
    05-02-10 06:12 PM
    I would add one thing. Do a remote backup of your BBM contacts if you use BBM. You can backup to a storage card or to your email. I have actually used the email restore and it is painless and very accurate.
    Yes, because you SURE don't want to loose ME as a BBM contact!
    05-02-10 06:15 PM
    So I should do that instead of a BB to BB transfer that is also an option in DM?
    This will transfer all settings, emails, SMS, bookmarks etc...to the new device. You have to re install the paid apps that are tied up to your old pin.

05-02-10 06:16 PM
    Yes, because you SURE don't want to loose ME as a BBM contact!
    Got yer back Tim!!!!
    How are things in rainy TN anyway???
    Built an ark yet?
    05-02-10 06:37 PM
    OK, there are several things to back up:
    BBM contacts are separate
    Calendar, contacts, phonebook stuff are done thru DM. Creates an .ipd file
    3rd party apps are ok to back up because it will cover OTA programs or themes. HOWEVER, IF you are moving to a different device, which I think you are doing like me, going from an 8330 to a 9650 let's say, a 3rd party backup is going to be useless because we have to RE DOWNLOAD all the paid apps in the right format from the places where we originally got them.
    I made a list...on PAPER of all things.

Eh. Once a teacher, always a teacher.
    05-02-10 06:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD