When I'm at work the little Icon that says wifi, is dark blue on the left side and light on the other. then there is the reception bar, and under that it says EDGE. Now I have not set up or done any wireless configuration, so I was just wondering if I was using wifi, or how you can tell if you are? I wasn't planning on looking into this until we move in, and I set up for the wifi hot spot at home, because were not having a phone line.
    10-22-08 07:38 AM
    That's so strange, I looked down at my phone just now and mine had exactly what you described. I use wifi and have the hotspots at home. Usually, it says wifi and then it says UMA. When it says UMA, I know I can make calls for free because I have the plan. I'm not sure but I think you were connected to wifi for browsing. You can test it for sure by setting it to wifi only and then seeing of you can browse. Was there a network name blinking like linksys or some other name. Mine was connected to someone else's network and the signal was not too strong.
    10-22-08 11:06 PM
    I know in the Pearl you can go to MENU->MANAGE CONNECTIONS

WiFi is listed there, and if you are connected there will be a network name listed right next to WiFi too. Even if it is generic at least it will list the name, most likely, of the router (i.e. Linksys, DLink, etc.).

Once you discover if you are in fact connected to a network, you can then check to see the icon displayed and know that is your connected icon. However, I usually like to use the manage connections app to see which network I am connected to. Here in Atlanta I am most frequently on Wi-Fi wherever I go so I just like 'knowing'
    10-23-08 08:30 AM
    The Wifi logo will appear when you have checked Connections / Wifi. When you have connected to working router, you will see the SSID on your display screen, beside your carriers name.

If you see UMA in place of EDGE, you are using the Wifi connection for voice and data.

10-23-08 11:03 AM
    Thanks for the help guys. Once I get it set up at the house I'll check back here if I have any problems

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-08 09:34 PM
    What's this wifi? I mean I know what it is but I thought only iphones had it!I don't see any wifi on my sprint blackberry pearl!let me guess sprint or this 8130 is the only one that doesn't have it right?

11-10-08 12:12 AM
    It switches back and forth if you own a Bold 9000
    11-11-08 04:02 AM
    What's this wifi? I mean I know what it is but I thought only iphones had it!I don't see any wifi on my sprint blackberry pearl!let me guess sprint or this 8130 is the only one that doesn't have it right?

Only specific models include Wifi support.

The 8120, 8320, 8820 and Bold currently support Wifi.
    11-11-08 04:27 PM
    My phone seems to connect to the wireless, so top of the phone shows
    T-mobile - <Insert SSID>

However, it doesn't say UMA.

What do i need to do?
    11-11-08 06:36 PM
    you will see uma if wifi is the only connection you have. TH?
    11-12-08 01:06 PM
    i think the only confusing issue for me is that even though i am in range of 2 routers, it still says edge instead of UMA. (yes i can connect to either or)

now, correct me if i am wrong but isn't it supposed to automatically switch over to wifi when my bb is set to "wifi-preferred"? i was under the impression that if there's a strong wifi signal that it would automatically switch over...
    01-05-09 06:06 PM
    Hi. Mine doesn't. Only to my home wifi does it switch automatically or if I have saved wifi profiles, it will auto connect. Otherwise, if I am somewhere where I know there is wifi, I scan and then connect and then save it so I do not have to do it again.
    01-05-09 09:10 PM
    New to the BB scene...what is UMA? I never see that on my bb. I have ATT 8120
    01-19-09 05:51 PM
    Hello everyone,
    I think I have big problem with 8120 (no data plan).
    I once reinstalled the OS(from the blackberry website - I think it was the new desktop version maybe) onto the phone and since then I have been charged while surfing the internet.
    I am pretty sure the WIFI is activated and the phone picks an IP from the router, still I get charged even though I use adsl I have already paid for.
    The configuration of the Default browser is setted to "Hotspot Browser" and not to "T-mobile zone" while Default WAP browser configuration only option is "T-mobile zones".
    What config is to change? Any help is welcome...
    01-20-09 04:52 PM
    i think the only confusing issue for me is that even though i am in range of 2 routers, it still says edge instead of UMA. (yes i can connect to either or)

now, correct me if i am wrong but isn't it supposed to automatically switch over to wifi when my bb is set to "wifi-preferred"? i was under the impression that if there's a strong wifi signal that it would automatically switch over...
    A little late getting back to you but I notice your profile is an 8320 on Rogers. Unless it is a Rogers Curve, it will never get UMA on Rogers network.

My T-Mobile Curve works fine with EDGE on Rogers, but it is not UMA enabled.
    01-22-09 01:50 PM
    New to the BB scene...what is UMA? I never see that on my bb. I have ATT 8120
    Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA) requires your carrier to support the technology. AT&T does not offer UMA support.

UMA uses your Wifi connection to supplement your carriers network. It provides a strong and reliable signal in places the carrier is weak. It also provides a much faster connection while unloading the carriers network.

Only T-Mobile, Rogers and a few regional carriers support it in North America.
    01-22-09 01:56 PM
    Hello everyone,
    I think I have big problem with 8120 (no data plan).
    I once reinstalled the OS(from the blackberry website - I think it was the new desktop version maybe) onto the phone and since then I have been charged while surfing the internet.
    I am pretty sure the WIFI is activated and the phone picks an IP from the router, still I get charged even though I use adsl I have already paid for.
    The configuration of the Default browser is setted to "Hotspot Browser" and not to "T-mobile zone" while Default WAP browser configuration only option is "T-mobile zones".
    What config is to change? Any help is welcome...
    I suspect the charges are coming from third party applicaitons like Facebook. Something is using data over the carriers network, it is not Browser if you using Hotspot Browser.

You carrier can push service books that contain links. If you open them, they will use data and you will be charged.
    01-22-09 02:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD