Hey i Just Got a torch and i have never had a smart phone how do i tell if i am using my Wifi or if i am using my Data from my data plan if anyone knows that would be great thanks!
    12-17-10 10:44 PM
    Check out your status screen. If it says Wi-Fi under Blackberry Internet Service, you're using Wi-Fi. With your calls, email, text and BB Messenger you're going to be using your data plan. For internet you can use Wi-Fi as long as you are connected to it. That's my understanding. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by KEB64; 12-17-10 at 11:05 PM.
    speedbird90 and Lloyd92 like this.
    12-17-10 11:01 PM
    Just what I needed, thanks man.
    12-17-10 11:05 PM
    Thanks You that is just what i needed to know the picture really helped thanks!
    12-17-10 11:09 PM
    The picture may be misleading. In some situations you could even be using wifi for talking (UMA) or data plan to navigat. In my experience Two thinghs are for sure : if WI is connewcted to a network, and the connection doesn't work the worch doesnt switch back to data plan. I have to turn wifi off to navigate.

The second thing is the way the little arrow int the upper right side behaves. You will notice quite different behaviors whe in wifi (blinks much faster) and using data plan.

The other thing is at least with my operator company, you can only watch youtube videos in wifi mode, the other way causes an error

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-10 05:57 AM
    With your calls, email, text and BB Messenger you're going to be using your data plan. For internet you can use Wi-Fi as long as you are connected to it. That's my understanding. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
    Anything that uses data will be over WiFi if BIS is connected via WiFi (BBM, internet, Facebook, email, etc.). Texts are not considered data by providers, as they are usually charged separately so they aren't affected by the connection.

An easier way to determine data transport is quite simply if the BB logo is located to the right of the WiFi indicator on the homescreen, then data is over WiFi. This is of course when using the default theme. Custom themes seem to have serious issues with displaying the BB logo. Checking the service status screen as mentioned above is the definitive answer though when you really want to be sure.
    12-18-10 06:51 AM
    go to www. whatsmyip. org on your phone and then go with your pc, if the ip match, you are using wifi.

I know the services is the best way, but it's always nice to know another way ;p
    Last edited by AcADIeN; 12-18-10 at 07:08 AM.
    12-18-10 07:04 AM
    I have another question should i turn my data connection off when the phone is in my pocket or just not being used like if im at school will it burn threw my data even tho its not doing anything just sitting there locked?
    12-18-10 08:21 PM
    You don't even have to go to the status screen.

If the BB symbol is next to the "3G" in the clock area, you are using your data connection.

If the BB symbol is next to the wifi icon, you are using your wifi connection.
    StormChaser77 likes this.
    12-19-10 09:03 AM

If the BB symbol is next to the "3G" in the clock area, you are using your data connection.

Already mentioned that and again, it's only if you're using the default theme. Custom themes have issues with the BB icon.
    12-20-10 10:08 AM

OMG what data am I using?

Like stated if your using a third party theme the bis icon is not always present. so your method of just looking at your homescreen for the icon doesn't work all the time.

Just in case anyone was wondering. It's wifi.

12-20-10 10:22 AM
    I have another question should i turn my data connection off when the phone is in my pocket or just not being used like if im at school will it burn threw my data even tho its not doing anything just sitting there locked?
    If you turn your data connection off then you won't receive e-mails and other notifications until you re-connect. Unless you have a lot of data hungry apps running (namely streaming music and video), your data usage should be minimal with just e-mails, BBM, etc. coming through.
    12-20-10 11:09 AM
    If iam using wifi Do applications such as facebook,weather network, msn messenger etc use data or wifi

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-11 12:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD