I started a fairly new job with a large county government. As IT was setting up my desktop, they asked to see my smartphone so they could set it up, as well. I showed them my new Z30 and they said, "I'm sorry the new BlackBerry devices are banned from our network." The county network uses GroupWise and NotifyLink and I can imagine that some kind of discussion with older BlackBerry devices and BES might have led to a non-support decision, but the IT staffer said, "we used to support the old ones, probably still could, but the new devices are crap, you're the only one who wants one, so it doesn't make sense for us to take the time to support them. We support iOS, Android, and WP and that's where we draw the line." For the record, I haven't seen anyone else using a BB10 phone, so it is likely that I'd be the only one. But, then again, if this policy stays in effect, we can be certain there won't be any.

Needless to say, I was surprised. I found an app that is supposed to sync on Android and I was told, "we won't support it because it's just a runtime, not a real Android device." I looked up NotifyLink and the server version that the County is using seems to have documented compatibility with BB10. Likewise, there's information about GroupWise syncing with BB10 devices on the web. I don't want our IT department to have to do a lot of work to support my Z30, but it appears to me that all they'll need to do is create an account on NotifyLink and then send me the server name and password and that I can add using BB10's native PIM programs as an ActiveSync account. Basically, I want to see if anyone can tell me whether this is going to be a headache for IT or whether they just don't want to do the work because they are lazy or hate BB. I'll use a different phone if it means a headache for them, but if not, I want to fight it.

Here's a link to explore: Kern County Employees: GroupWise WebAccess and NotifyLink

Any comments or help I can get would be useful. Sure hope Chen isn't betting on sales being easier at Government/Enterprise than with consumers, but unless we push back, this is like a brick wall spray painted, "hell, no!"

Are other people experiencing this (possibly) tech discrimination in the workplace? ;-)

-- B.
    Last edited by BlackberryFan777; 04-30-14 at 02:34 PM.
    04-30-14 02:18 PM
    The question is WHO ARE YOU to the company? If you are the new VP of some department, then go ahead and research and tell them what you expect them to do.

If you are the new night watchman.... buy a new phone. Because even if you showed that it could be done, the first time the network crashed it will be because "BlackberryFan777" down in security has a BB10 device and you will be a scapegoat.
    04-30-14 02:30 PM
    Why do you need to have your phone connected to their network? If they don't support your phone then you cannot check emails or do other tasks remotely. If that is a problem with them, they can choose to support your phone or purchase a new phone and pay for a monthly service plan for you. No company has the authority to force its employees to use a certain mobile platform for their personal device.
    04-30-14 02:39 PM
    I started a fairly new job with a large county government. As IT was setting up my desktop, they asked to see my smartphone so they could set it up, as well. I showed them my new Z30 and they said, "I'm sorry the new BlackBerry devices are banned from our network." The county network uses GroupWise and NotifyLink and I can imagine that some kind of discussion with older BlackBerry devices and BES might have led to a non-support decision, but the IT staffer said, "we used to support the old ones, probably still could, but the new devices are crap, you're the only one who wants one, so it doesn't make sense for us to take the time to support them. We support iOS, Android, and WP and that's where we draw the line." For the record, I haven't seen anyone else using a BB10 phone, so it is likely that I'd be the only one. But, then again, if this policy stays in effect, we can be certain there won't be any.

Needless to say, I was surprised. I found an app that is supposed to sync on Android and I was told, "we won't support it because it's just a runtime, not a real Android device." I looked up NotifyLink and the server version that the County is using seems to have documented compatibility with BB10. Likewise, there's information about GroupWise syncing with BB10 devices on the web. I don't want our IT department to have to do a lot of work to support my Z30, but it appears to me that all they'll need to do is create an account on NotifyLink and then send me the server name and password and that I can add using BB10's native PIM programs as an ActiveSync account. Basically, I want to see if anyone can tell me whether this is going to be a headache for IT or whether they just don't want to do the work because they are lazy or hate BB. I'll use a different phone if it means a headache for them, but if not, I want to fight it.

Here's a link to explore: Kern County Employees: GroupWise WebAccess and NotifyLink

Any comments or help I can get would be useful. Sure hope Chen isn't betting on sales being easier at Government/Enterprise than with consumers, but unless we push back, this is like a brick wall spray painted, "hell, no!"

Are other people experiencing this (possibly) tech discrimination in the workplace? ;-)

-- B.
    I honestly can't believe you are in a "fairly new job," and you want to "fight" with your employer over this. It is their prerogative what phones they support, and they've told you they won't support BlackBerry - it doesn't matter if it's not "too much trouble" for people on CB- it's too much trouble for your employer. Use another phone and don't brand yourself as a troublemaker!

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 02:48 PM
    As a new member, it'll be better if you just buy a new phone. Save you and everyone the hassle

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 02:51 PM
    sounds like some android fanboy geek in the IT department is making trouble, i would go over his head to somebody higher up and get this issue resolved. Nobody should be forced to use an inferior phone at work.
    04-30-14 02:52 PM
    Well you work for a company who's IT Department is incompetent. Too bad you have the best corporate device on the market and the most useless IT department.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 02:58 PM
    Basically, I want to see if anyone can tell me whether this is going to be a headache for IT or whether they just don't want to do the work because they are lazy or hate BB. I'll use a different phone if it means a headache for them, but if not, I want to fight it.

Folks, OP's question is: is it a lot of effort to integrate BB10 with GroupWise and NotifyLink? If anyone knows, just answer that question. Fight or not is OP's decision. OP is not asking for suggestion around his decision. OP's is only asking for data that will help OP arrive at a decision.

Data being asked is: if there is someone here who is knowledgeable in this area, how difficult/easy is it support BB10 via GroupWise/NotifyLink.

Not everyone is in IT or looks after administering phones, so if you don't know the answer, feel free to ignore this thread.
    04-30-14 03:00 PM
    Folks, OP's question is: is it a lot of effort to integrate BB10 with GroupWise and NotifyLink? If anyone knows, just answer that question. Fight or not is OP's decision. OP is not asking for suggestion around his decision. OP's is only asking for data that will help OP arrive at a decision.

Data being asked is: if there is someone here who is knowledgeable in this area, how difficult/easy is it support BB10 via GroupWise/NotifyLink.

Not everyone is in IT or looks after administering phones, so if you don't know the answer, feel free to ignore this thread.
    I actually understood the question. However, the answer is not cut and dry.

Z10 (STL 100-3) Superphone with vitamin 10.2.1.2179
    bbq10l likes this.
    04-30-14 03:10 PM
    The question is WHO ARE YOU to the company? If you are the new VP of some department, then go ahead and research and tell them what you expect them to do.

If you are the new night watchman.... buy a new phone. Because even if you showed that it could be done, the first time the network crashed it will be because "BlackberryFan777" down in security has a BB10 device and you will be a scapegoat.
    LoL.
    Yes! Also, some "so called" IT professionals think they know it all.
    Actually, even the night watchmen have their own ways and/or wants of doing things.
    It could turn out to be a lot worse for you if you prove them to be wrong or that they aren't telling you the truth.
    Exposure is embarrassing to a lot of people, and carried far in the work space.
    Don't start off on the wrong foot. Be careful. You're there to perform the tasks asked of you. Not the other way around.
    A need for food, clothing, and shelter for you and your family should put things in perspective.
    bbq10l and Acidwire like this.
    04-30-14 03:14 PM
    Keep your Z30 for your own use....after all, you bought it and pay for the contract on it.

If they want you to use a certain make of phone to fit in with thrir system then let them buy it and set it up, pay for its airtime and maintain it. They have employed you, not your personal phone. Job done.
    04-30-14 03:22 PM
    New Job vs using what phone you want. To me the decision is easy. They are paying you so use what phone they tell you to or go find another job elsewhere and tell them it's a prerequisite that they support your Z30 before they hire you.

I'd keep my mouth shut and use what phone they tell you to use.
    04-30-14 03:22 PM
    I started a fairly new job with a large county government...

"we used to support the old ones, probably still could, but the new devices are crap, you're the only one who wants one, so it doesn't make sense for us to take the time to support them. We support iOS, Android, and WP and that's where we draw the line."...

I found an app that is supposed to sync on Android and I was told, "we won't support it because it's just a runtime, not a real Android device." ...

...it appears to me that all they'll need to do is create an account on NotifyLink and then send me the server name and password and that I can add using BB10's native PIM programs as an ActiveSync account. Basically, I want to see if anyone can tell me whether this is going to be a headache for IT or whether they just don't want to do the work because they are lazy or hate BB.

I'll use a different phone if it means a headache for them, but if not, I want to fight it...

Any comments or help I can get would be useful...

-- B.
    Lot of questions in one go .

I don't know how big they are etc, etc. But I work an IT Consultant so I get to see all kinds.

First it's important to understand there are 2 types of IT. Some companies use the penny saver program, and IT is one step up from getting coffee for people. They are usually opinionated and often unnecessarily so - but they are usually underpaid and that's the trade of for keeping them.

The other type of IT deals more in solution design. They *should* accommodate what they can when they can.

So if you got a level 1, he wouldn't know why they do anything. If you got a level 2, there is likely a bit more.

First up - they won't setup your BlackBerry. Because even if it was as simple as a button push - they said no and clearly have a strong opinion against it. ADKAR suggests the only way to fix that is to come at them from a management level. Friendly one to one conversations over coffee to warm up between you. They need devices to test with if They are going to support it. They also need to be shown how to use the device. And they need to hear it is important to the company. If you can hit those - they will be open to change.

With that said - in all odds, you are getting that message from them as they believe that to be the message delivered to them by their management and support streams. Which means there is a bigger BlackBerry problem.

BlackBerry has earned a lot of enemies. They have had a bad history and some folks will stay mad a long time. Those things change slow.

At the end of the day - you have to make a decision. Is it possible to convince them? Are you sure they have the full infrastructure and support team to support blackberry? You could just use your own phone - your own package (I do - as a consultant I don't want to lock to their network unless I really have to). Push work emails to a custom email address. And always reply using that email address. Make it clear you aren't on their network because they won't connect you if you want. But you have a choice when it comes to being on their network, just as they have a choice to add you.

Their security team won't like that - but it isn't your fault they won't support your device. If you can't change them adapt it to fit your model.

The simplest way is to just use social engineering to get someone else from IT to help set you up. If you get approval from their manager and he sets you up, it helps take care of some of the ADKAR points

Cheers - also yeah. Ignore the trolls.

Sent from my Z10 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    04-30-14 03:26 PM
    Just to be clear, I wouldn't characterize myself as a lower level employee, but I appreciate your concern for my job. I'll add that if an IT person is lying to me about policy or about the amount of work involved in supporting the Z30, it is something I would want to know as that might help me do my job more effectively. I may be able to force the issue, but I need information so that I'm not at a disadvantage.

As another poster summarized for me above, I really just need to know if it is easy or difficult to connect a BB10 device to the servers identified at the link in the original post. If you click on NotifyLink, for instance, you get a version number. That may be a clue.

Thanks in advance. Any help is appreciated!

Posted via CB10
    Sallem likes this.
    04-30-14 03:36 PM
    Also, let me note that I appreciate the responses so far... :-)

Posted via CB10
    afl777 likes this.
    04-30-14 03:42 PM
    Why would they force you to make your personal phone your work phone. That seems kind of silly. They can get you a work phone and manage and pay for it themselves then. Or you can do as KermEd pointed out and just bypass the whole thing. I agree with others here that you really shouldn't be demanding at a new job but just because they give you a paycheque doesn't mean they can make demands like that. Either they pay for a work phone, give you an allowance towards one, or allow your phone. They didn't hire your phone. It is your personal phone. Unless they put it in writing in a contract when you got the job then you can at least discuss it with higher ups. And there is no need to be demanding just tell them if they want you to use a personal phone for work it would be difficult to give up this one because of how good and secure it is compared to the choices you've been given. lol. Okay I know it's pushing it a bit but you never know. You could end up talking a higher up manager or something into BB10 and then you get your way without being the one making the demands. Haha. Ok anyway good luck with that.
    afl777 likes this.
    04-30-14 03:55 PM
    Think it will be hard to convince IT to support a device with an unsupported function using an unsupported app. Probably couldn't get my IT to officially support a custom rom on an Android device either.

If you are okay with doing things yourself just ask for directions to setup their supported phones, perhaps a link on the IT webpage, you should be able to do it the same way on your phone. That way IT is not responsible for your devices and they won't be bothered if it doesn't work all the time.
    04-30-14 03:58 PM
    Are they going to provide you with a new phone? I'm not sure they can force you to spend 600 dollars to buy another phone to work there...

The GIF Exchange C001B7B16?
    afl777 and kbz1960 like this.
    04-30-14 04:08 PM
    Just to be clear, I wouldn't characterize myself as a lower level employee, but I appreciate your concern for my job. I'll add that if an IT person is lying to me about policy or about the amount of work involved in supporting the Z30, it is something I would want to know as that might help me do my job more effectively. I may be able to force the issue, but I need information so that I'm not at a disadvantage.

As another poster summarized for me above, I really just need to know if it is easy or difficult to connect a BB10 device to the servers identified at the link in the original post. If you click on NotifyLink, for instance, you get a version number. That may be a clue.

Thanks in advance. Any help is appreciated!
    The only thing I've seen on GroupWise and BB10 is that the latest update does support BES10... not sure about BB10 devices without BES10.

Maybe if you thread had "does GroupWise and NotifyLink work with BB10 devices".... in the title it might catch the right persons attention.

I've found the IT Guys at government agency... tend to be a little ALL POWERFUL. They deal in magic stuff so they are always right. Tread carefully!
    milo53 likes this.
    04-30-14 04:09 PM
    eddy_berry, I believe they will provide me with a work phone of some kind. But, why carry two devices when iOS and Android users don't have to? And why do it if BB10 has ActiveSync built-in to allow this problem to be solved easily and without much effort?

In the meantime, I'll forward emails to my BB10 device as suggested above, but I'd still like to know if what I'm asking for is unreasonable. I could play a role in changing the policy, but not if I'm uninformed. This isn't a matter of my lacking power because of my position, it is a matter of my lacking power because of my ignorance.

And this is government. This never would have been an issue for me at any of the private law firms I've practiced with..

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 04:09 PM
    New Job vs using what phone you want. To me the decision is easy. They are paying you so use what phone they tell you to or go find another job elsewhere and tell them it's a prerequisite that they support your Z30 before they hire you.

I'd keep my mouth shut and use what phone they tell you to use.
    Seriously? Do you let your company dictate what brand of clothing you wear to work (I'm not talking about causul versus business attire, I'm talking brand)? Do you let your company dictate what make and model car you drive to work or for work? Do you let your company dictate what you eat for your lunch? Do you let your company dictate what computer you buy for your personal use at home?

I cannot believe some of the responses here. This phone is his PERSONAL device and you want him to go out and spend $600 on a new phone because the IT department cannot take a few minutes to enable the BlackBerry 10 support that their already installed GO!NotifyLink mobile device management solution offers. GO!NotifyLink Enterprise Server ActiveSync Solution - BlackBerry 10

The company has three options: enable BlackBerry 10 support within their MDM software, purchase OP a phone and pay the monthly service charge on it, or accept that he will not be working or responding to company emails when not in the office. What kind of organization is setup in such a way that in order to conduct business it relies on being able to dictate personal electronics purchase decisions of every single employee?
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    04-30-14 04:17 PM
    Seriously? Do you let your company dictate what brand of clothing you wear to work (I'm not talking about causul versus business attire, I'm talking brand)? Do you let your company dictate what make and model car you drive to work or for work? Do you let your company dictate what you eat for your lunch? Do you let your company dictate what computer you buy for your personal use at home?

I cannot believe some of the responses here. This phone is his PERSONAL device and you want him to go out and spend $600 on a new phone because the IT department cannot take a few minutes to enable the BlackBerry 10 support that their already installed GO!NotifyLink mobile device management solution offers. GO!NotifyLink Enterprise Server ActiveSync Solution - BlackBerry 10

The company has three options: enable BlackBerry 10 support within their MDM software, purchase OP a phone and pay the monthly service charge on it, or accept that he will not be working or responding to company emails when not in the office. What kind of organization is setup in such a way that in order to conduct business it relies on being able to dictate personal electronics purchase decisions of every single employee?
    Lol whatever. There is no correlation to any of those things you mentioned above to a phone. OP it's a phone. You'll survive without it or if you don't like it work elsewhere.

To my responder what world are you living in? You really think as a new employee he's in a position to demand what type of phone he uses? The company must be surviving without using BB if no one else is using one. Plus they will issue him a work phone. Take the phone they give you and shut up and deal with it. If your allegiance to a phone is that strong over having a job vs a job then you have problems. ITS A PHONE!!!!!
    Last edited by donnation; 04-30-14 at 04:44 PM.
    Raddin, Rello, MADBRADNYC and 7 others like this.
    04-30-14 04:28 PM
    The sad thing is, we live in a world with so much unemployment and this guy is worried about supporting his favorite brand of phone instead of simply being happy he is fortunate enough to have a job in these rough times.
    04-30-14 04:36 PM
    Find a different job, the decision makers are a bunch of idiots.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 04:44 PM
    Haha people will pick the phone over the job. That's laughable. Let us know how it works out for ya

Posted via CB10
    MADBRADNYC, Raddin, bbq10l and 4 others like this.
    04-30-14 04:45 PM
180 123 ...