Im giving my mom my old bb and she does not want to pay for a data plan. It can connect through wifi, so if she connects to that it would be useful for using the google search app and a few other things.

I just want to make sure it never uses ATT's network and will only use thw wifi connection.

is there a way i can change something around so it is unable to connect through att? I remember something like removing wap.cingular or something from somewhere, but it was so long ago i dont remember.
    07-18-10 03:55 PM
    AT&T scans their network regularly. During the scan, if they find a smartphone ESN, you get the data plan if you want it or not. I tried to do what you are trying with my 8310 and they told me I HAD to have a data plan. I wanted to use it as a “pay as you go” scenario and they squished that idea!
    Last edited by Patrick533; 07-18-10 at 04:15 PM.
    07-18-10 04:04 PM
    Turn off data services in the connection manager under mobile network options.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-10 04:04 PM
    AT&T scans their network regularly. During the scan, if they find a smartphone ESN, you get the data plan if you want it or not. I tried to do what you are trying with my 8310 and they told me I HAD to have a data plan. I wanted to use it as a �pay as you go� scenario and they squished that idea!
    This ^^

It will add a data plan whether you want it or not.
    07-18-10 04:31 PM
    This ^^

Yes. As of Sept 2009 AT&Ts policy changed and every new (not as in purchase)
    smart phone activation MUST have a data plan. If the user does not choose one
    it will be added automatically.

If the phone was purchased prior to September 2009 and has maintained service
    it will not be required to have said plan (grandfathered.)

Regardless, she will need a SIM card and that will identify the phone to AT&Ts
    network, triggering the addition of the data plan.
    07-18-10 04:53 PM
    well even if she is required to purchase a plan ill probably still want to block it considering its only 200mb.

Turn off data services in the connection manager under mobile network options.

i heard this doesnt completely block the data plan out? someone told me you need to go change the wap.cingular thing to make sure. Otherwise even though your using your own network you ATT still sees is and charges for some of it. (i think it happened to me when i had my 8800)
    07-18-10 05:52 PM
    This ^^

I know you're right about what you said. I also think they're full of crap and that policy can't possibly stand up in court.

07-18-10 08:11 PM
    I know you're right about what you said. I also think they're full of crap and that policy can't possibly stand up in court.

Plus 1.
    I agree. What dirty dogs.

07-18-10 08:17 PM
    It will stand up in court. What they are preventing with this policy is users that purchase a smartphone and do not sign up for a data plan. Once they get home they configure email, FB, twitter and surf a bit. They like PDA services so much they continue to use all the services forgetting they did not sign up for an unlimited plan only to get a $20k USD bill for data since default billing is per kb. The new plans are cheaper and have $10USD bands so if you go over your allotment, it will just be an extra $10USD.

07-18-10 10:12 PM
    You could delete the APN all together from the phone. Uncheck the boxes for TCP/IP under options > advanced options ..

07-18-10 10:20 PM
    You could delete the APN all together from the phone. Uncheck the boxes for TCP/IP under options > advanced options ..

I am out of the country on business. I purchased international data however I have blown through it. I want to disable data services on the cell network but enable wifi.

I have asked this question before but never had a definite answer.

If you turn off data services under manage connections > mobile network options it seems to disable wifi as well.

I have rread a little about APN settings, but I'm unclear on those as I have read some stories on the net of people getting shafted on their bills after tampering with those settings.

Does anyone know what the best way to config the BB for wifi only is until I am back on my local network?
    07-27-10 07:56 AM
    I am out of the country on business. I purchased international data however I have blown through it. I want to disable data services on the cell network but enable wifi.

I have asked this question before but never had a definite answer.

If you turn off data services under manage connections > mobile network options it seems to disable wifi as well.

I have rread a little about APN settings, but I'm unclear on those as I have read some stories on the net of people getting shafted on their bills after tampering with those settings.

Does anyone know what the best way to config the BB for wifi only is until I am back on my local network?
    Turn off your mobile network under manage connections, and leave wifi checked
    07-27-10 02:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD