Hi,

I noticed today that my blackberry browser is sending my GPS location to the websites I visit. How can I disable this? I noticed a setting in the browser options, something like 'Enable GPS location in javascript'. That option has been DISABLED for me since I start using the Blackberry bold.

I tried to disable the GPS entirely, but this breaks the third party applications I am using (Blackstar and other geocaching apps).

Where to find the permission for the Blackberry browser? For a third party app it's easy, but the blackberry browser is not in the list.

Thanks,
    10-03-09 01:38 PM
    well, the point of a geocaching website/program is to enable GPS locations for it to work. try editing the application permissions to see if you can disable it. whats the point of geocaching, without locations?
    10-03-09 10:30 PM
    well, the point of a geocaching website/program is to enable GPS locations for it to work. try editing the application permissions to see if you can disable it. whats the point of geocaching, without locations?
    1. The only website I use while geocaching is geocaching.com. That one uses the location which is stored in the geocaching.com user-profile, not realtime from the browser. So there's no need for the browser to know or send my location.

2. The only apps that need to know the location are the (third party) geocaching apps like cacheberry or blackstar.

3. I can enable GPS permission for the thirdparty apps in the permission menu (advanced settings), but there's no way to set (or deny) GPS permissions for the blackberry browser, or is there?
    10-04-09 08:53 AM
    Have you tried changing the Browser's application permissions? With v5 O/S, this is under "Core" Applications. If you expand the Connections item, one of the options is Location Data.

Doug

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-09 10:32 AM
    Thanks, I didn't dig that deep. I think these permission should affect the browser, but I have the feeling they don't. Internet access is set to 'Ask', but it never asks me when browsing.
    10-04-09 10:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD