Nah. She has a galaxy s4. It's interface is much more modern and simplified compared to the stratosphere. The stratosphere reminds me of my old flip phone. When you go to text you have to navigate quite a few steps.

Posted via CB10
    That does sound frustrating. Has your dad ever tried your mom's phone or one like it? Is he more willing to try a S4 out than a BB? That sounds as if it will be the easier out for you and S4s aren't expensive anymore.

BB10's interface seems a bit polarizing - some here say it is very intuitive, others say it can be frustrating with gestures, etc. I can't speak for your dad but if he did ask to be taught to text such as your mom does, keeping everything the same as possible would be the easiest for you.
    04-06-15 02:39 PM
    I gave my dad my ex Q10, now he doesn't want other phone

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 03:12 PM
    He can't even figure out how to text on his Samsung Stratosphere. I want him to use a z10 but he keeps saying " no body has one.".

Posted via CB10
    Why not help him learn to use the device he currently has?

Be classically hip with the BlackBerry Classic
    04-06-15 03:36 PM
    I think right right now is the perfect time to use the BlackBerry 10; 10.3 update, amazon apps, side loading, bbm etc

Beproud
    04-06-15 04:00 PM
    Blackmail him

Ermm...I mean ask him nicely

Posted via CB10
    I agree with the "Black-" part of your post... ;-)

Just add 'berry...

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    04-06-15 05:37 PM
    He can't even figure out how to text on his Samsung Stratosphere. I want him to use a z10 but he keeps saying " no body has one.".

Posted via CB10
    Who has a Samsung Stratosphere, lol. I've never heard of that phone. Just looked it up and it runs Android GINGERBREAD? Yeeesh...

Maybe approach it from another angle if he's having issues with his current phone. Tell him that the Z10 came out around the same time as the iPhone 4S but has a bigger screen and that audio quality is really good for making actual phone calls (very clear). I don't know your Dad and how he uses his phone but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the bump in audio quality alone is a selling point.

Also, if he's a regular PC user, tell him he can install Blend and use it to text his kids / grandkids using a real computer keyboard and not have to fiddle with those tiny screens with the hard to read letters! =)

But in the end, he's your Dad, so if he's happy with what he has don't push him on it, heh.
    04-06-15 08:28 PM
    That does sound frustrating. Has your dad ever tried your mom's phone or one like it? Is he more willing to try a S4 out than a BB? That sounds as if it will be the easier out for you and S4s aren't expensive anymore.

BB10's interface seems a bit polarizing - some here say it is very intuitive, others say it can be frustrating with gestures, etc. I can't speak for your dad but if he did ask to be taught to text such as your mom does, keeping everything the same as possible would be the easiest for you.
    If he likes Samsung, then the S4 would be a good choice as well. Although if he just uses the phone for voice calls, texting and emails then the Z10 is a good choice. The predictions on the BB keyboard are really intuitive. I personally find them better than SwiftKey on Android which is the closest competitor, imho.
    04-06-15 08:30 PM
    A phone should be by choice not pressured into. No matter what, if they don't like the phone you can't change their attitude about it. The best thing to do is demo the great benefits of a BlackBerry phone and let them decide from there. Hopefully there is something that clicks with him and you've become a good honest salesman.
    Ghyss8888 likes this.
    04-07-15 05:13 AM
    Get him a Doro, one with a SOS button.
    Fairly basic and easyish to use. Large text for easy reading. And a bit of peace of mind that he can press the emergency button if necessary and contact you easily.
    Plus, if he feels too cool for a z10, then it'll make him feel more like an old goat.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    04-07-15 06:08 AM
    Tell him you are going to move back home if he doesn't get a BlackBerry. If you are still living at home, tell him you are never going to move out if he doesn't jump to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-15 06:20 AM

Posted via CB10
    If your father has issues with technology, have you thought of steering him towards phones that are designed with simplicity and the technically challenged in mind?

What other requirements for a (smart-)phone does he have?

My mother's now on her second Doro (the first one still works, but the 622 has remote management functionality so I can more easily help her out when she gets in a muddle....though most of my remote management nowadays is just loading up photos of her grandson....) and these are excellent phones for the technologically challenged.....

.... and we never thought mother would get the hang of text messaging, but she sends lots of texts now (okay, the punctuation and capitalisation aren't there yet, but you can still work out what she is trying to say.....).

No idea how old and/or sprightly your father is... but if he's getting on a bit and is potentially a little infirm, many Doro phones also come with an SoS button that triggers automatic recorded messaging (voice and text) and can also be linked to many Emergency Alarm for the Elderly services (my mother has the SoS button on her Doro set up with all of this - and it is a comfort to my sister and I, as mother lives on her own miles away from civilisation).
    04-07-15 02:04 PM
    Just get him a cheap Windows phone.
    Setup his phone with 4-6 big tiles. Increased the font to 12. Should be ez for him to use. My dad is using my old Q5 and my mom is on a Lumia 520.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-15 07:02 AM

Posted via CB10
    Honestly? I'd recommend a Windows Phone. Both OSs are pretty good, but BB10 is more of a "power user" OS while Windows Phone is - to put it nicely - "better labelled." Windows phone is actually pretty straightforward to use and you'd have to be pretty "mentally optimized" to have difficulty keeping up with texts and such. Plus Cortana, text-to-speech, and cheap but good quality devices.

EDIT: Holy Coconut, the only two Windows Phones that Verizon sells (assumed as Stratosphere is Verizon exclusive) are $499 and $599 full price! You might need to look into how the pricing works, as it seems like part of your dad's resistance might be the complexity of upgrading. Verizon isn't able to use any old unlocked phone.
    Last edited by grahamf; 04-09-15 at 09:07 PM.
    04-09-15 08:54 PM
    Honestly? I'd recommend a Windows Phone. Both OSs are pretty good, but BB10 is more of a "power user" OS while Windows Phone is - to put it nicely - "better labelled." Windows phone is actually pretty straightforward to use and you'd have to be pretty "mentally optimized" to have difficulty keeping up with texts and such. Plus Cortana, text-to-speech, and cheap but good quality devices.

EDIT: Holy Coconut, the only two Windows Phones that Verizon sells (assumed as Stratosphere is Verizon exclusive) are $499 and $599 full price! You might need to look into how the pricing works, as it seems like part of your dad's resistance might be the complexity of upgrading. Verizon isn't able to use any old unlocked phone.
    Just buy an unlocked Doro - in the UK they start at �25 (unlocked!) on Amazon, that's less $50 (USD).

[But beware of the Doro Liberto 810 'flagship' as there have been a lot of problems with this model]
    04-09-15 09:44 PM
    So no news yet on the dad front. I already own the z10, so no buying here. I just want him to try it for a week, see if he learns to use it.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-15 02:11 PM
    Is your Z10 a Verizon? Either way, Verizon makes it a bit more difficult to switch phones than simply swapping SIM cards.
    04-10-15 04:20 PM
41 12