I traded up my blackberry curve to a Samsung. Hated it for several reasons but, in part, because of that stupid TinTin guy that came up every time I used the phone. So bought a BlackBerry Classic. Much happier. But its still a little TinTin guy except he is in business attire? Whoa! I thought we had progressed.
    04-14-15 07:14 AM
    We have TinTin inside our BlackBerry devices?

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 07:31 AM
    Why is Assistant a female voice? Men can't be helpful? LOL
    04-14-15 07:42 AM
    Is this for real? You're upset because you see a male silhouette placeholder on your phone? This isn't some "misogynistic patriarchy" complaint, is it? You're really saying that society is showing a lack of progression because the silhouette placeholder for contacts is male?

...Whoa...I thought we had progressed...
    04-14-15 08:02 AM
    Close this thread
    04-14-15 08:08 AM
    I think most assistance voices are female because people are generally more comfortable with female voices. I don't see why the "placeholder" has to be a person at all, and I don't see why operating systems can't be built to allow some choice in the matter if they do. I dislike the business attire as much as I dislike the gender. Since it is in my face every time I use the phone I guess I think it is okay to object to it. Okay enough said, unless someone is willing to work towards a change.
    04-14-15 10:24 AM
    I think most assistance voices are female because people are generally more comfortable with female voices. I don't see why the "placeholder" has to be a person at all, and I don't see why operating systems can't be built to allow some choice in the matter if they do. I dislike the business attire as much as I dislike the gender. Since it is in my face every time I use the phone I guess I think it is okay to object to it. Okay enough said, unless someone is willing to work towards a change.
    Maybe you need some other type of help, not available here ...
    LoneStarRed likes this.
    04-14-15 10:30 AM
    Why do you assume it's a male figure? If you are so progressive, then you should be open to the possibility of it representing a female that prefers short hair and likes wearing a jacket. Sorry if it doesn't fit your preconceived idea of what the female gender should look like.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 10:37 AM
    OP is clearly a sexist.
    04-14-15 11:00 AM
    Huh...are u serious op :what:
    04-14-15 11:06 AM
    The OP is really looking for something to get offended by I guess.

Contact icons are 'male'? I thought they were just a silhouette, I didn't read any kind of gender dynamics into them.

In terms of assistant software, a woman's voice is generally used because they are higher pitched and easier to understand on low powered speakers like those on mobile devices.

There are much larger issues in the world to get offended by. Take that energy and work on resolving those instead.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 01:08 PM
    OP is obviously a scout for the misandristic, PC tyranny that is plaguing us. Begone I say!

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    04-14-15 01:14 PM
    Did you ask it to check his privilege?
    theone06 and eldricho like this.
    04-14-15 01:23 PM
    OP is clearly a sexist.
    Feminazis. Don't confuse them with Feminists.
    04-14-15 01:26 PM
    Good eye OP! I say add bewbs!!!

Posted via my Canadian Passport
    kbz1960, fkornre, bungaboy and 7 others like this.
    04-14-15 01:44 PM
    This sounds very misandric...
    04-14-15 01:57 PM
    Political correctness in action. YUK
    04-14-15 02:15 PM
    You don't get pay equality, but silhouettes will now have long hair. (queue the women with short hair complaints)

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 02:35 PM
    Why is Assistant a female voice? Men can't be helpful? LOL
    Cause women are just naturally more helpful.... (grin)

Edit; my passport is pretty much equal opportunity, I have a male figure on my contacts and a female voice assistant. To be honest I'd love to have Sean Connery's voice as my voice assistant and maybe on BlackBerry Maps too.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 02:37 PM
    Because the world is against you.
    04-14-15 02:39 PM
    As also stated by AnimalPak200, the parts that are needed to ascertain gender are not showing, so you shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Posted via CB10
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    04-14-15 02:40 PM
    Say No to Drugs....
    04-14-15 10:48 PM
    How do you know that's a man? Could be a woman with short hair.

Posted via CB10
    mithrazor likes this.
    04-14-15 11:38 PM
    Good natured kidding aside, although BlackBerry has had pink phones, and most BBM stickers seem to be for girls, she is right. The icons on BBM are all men too. If I chose to have no pic of myself, in Contacts, I would be annoyed if my placeholder was a female. BlackBerry needs all the users they can get and 50% of the market is women.

TCB on Z10
    04-15-15 04:44 AM
    It's a bit like those ink blot cards...to which the answers are
    1. Dropped pie
    2. Dropped pie
    3. Dropped pie
    4. Dropped pie
    ..... it may have more to do with how YOU see them?
    04-15-15 05:35 AM
99 123 ...