I sent email to [email protected] yesterday and I received an email back from their Customer Support stating:

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Technical Support. The email you submitted has not been delivered. Please find many alternative support options below.

I could not find another email address on their web site.

It's a shame RIM does not include ActiveSync support for their BIS customers. I recently switched from a Torch to an iPhone 4 and ActiveSync makes a big difference. I would like to switch back to the Torch 2 when it arrives and I hope RIM has better support for BIS users.

I wonder how many Crackberry subscribers are on BIS?

Thanks for your comments.

-Rich
    02-23-11 10:46 AM
    The short answer is you probably can't. The longer answer is you might get them to notice if your drop a gazillion dollars on their doorstep, they might.

But why, BES, BESX, and BIS do what you want.
    02-23-11 11:01 AM
    BIS does not come close the exchange/active sync experience. BES/BESx are not for consumers really either.
    02-23-11 11:29 AM
    No thank you, I want to keep roaming data tiny, I don't want to use a few mb at idle.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-11 12:24 PM
    roaming data ha...i ddint think roaming existed anymore really.
    02-23-11 12:30 PM
    In US maybe, Europe's a different story. Roaming from UK to US on Orange they charge you �8 per 1mb, you do the math. What would you prefer to have?

02-23-11 12:34 PM
    damn yeah that sucks. most plans in the US are everything with roaming included
    02-23-11 12:38 PM
    Yeah, because they know you'll not use it lol

02-23-11 12:42 PM
    Roaming in the US often causes a nasty surprise when the bill comes in.
    02-23-11 01:10 PM
    Gotta say that I quite like the way that the BlackBerry syncs. It would be neat if it synced over WiFI so's all I had to do was run up DM and away it went.

I really do not like the way that ActiveSync tries to run all the time and generally take over my PC. I ended up running KillActiveSync and that solved the problem.

Personally I'll stick with BIS and DM sync. Although a second string option would not go amiss.
    02-23-11 01:16 PM
    Cricket is the only US carrier I am aware of that charges for roaming.

They do offer blackberry...

International roaming is where they can get you....but nothing really exists outside of America anyway right?

But it is really annoying that I can't get my exchange email on my blackberry. I used to be able to, until my company deemed having my password reside on RIMS servers was unacceptable.
    Last edited by blaisedinsd; 02-23-11 at 01:51 PM.
    02-23-11 01:39 PM
    Hold on, it's international roaming we're talking about here, there is no national roaming here.

02-23-11 01:52 PM
    Hold on, it's international roaming we're talking about here, there is no national roaming here.

Oh yeah, whoever heard of national roaming?

It's what haopends when you cross the international bordeer to Canada or Mexico (for the US) that we were both referring to.
    02-23-11 02:37 PM
    I am connected to an Exchange server 5 days per week and I don't see any ActiveSync process running on my Windows PC. I don't have any issues...

-Rich

I really do not like the way that ActiveSync tries to run all the time and generally take over my PC. I ended up running KillActiveSync and that solved the problem.

Personally I'll stick with BIS and DM sync. Although a second string option would not go amiss.
    02-23-11 03:52 PM

I am connected to an Exchange server 5 days per week and I don't see any ActiveSync process running on my Windows PC. I don't have any issues...

-Rich
    AFAIK, ActiveSync is only the phone's connection to a Corporate Email Exchange server. It has nothing to do with a PC. The PC's Outlook email client would have direct network access to the Outlook Exchange Server - and that would only be the work PC anyway.

I posted this yesterday in a similar thread, but I'll copy it here too (with a few changes).

I know that RIM doesn't want to give up on BES, but I think they are going to lose that war - if they haven't already.

I know that our firm dropped BES about 2 years ago once all the partners switched to the iPhone. BES was just too costly for our office with only about 20-25 people who connect to the office email with their phones. I'm one of them, but I make do with my Torch (and Pearl 8100 before that) connecting to OWA over my own BIS, and then do syncing with DM at my computer to update contacts and calendar stuff.

Sure, RIM put out BES Express just for companies of our size. Yet, even offered for free, the damage was already done. The bosses won't hear of anything related to BlackBerry anymore. And I'm sure there are many other smaller companies out there who feel the same way.

I have a business-type phone (and it is by choice, I don't want an iPhone or Android phone), but I can't connect to my office the same way as others in my office can with their iPhone. Something is wrong there.

Give us "consumers" ActiveSync out of the box and those other phones will have one less thing to say they have over BB. All the big major corporations and government agencies will still want the added security of BES, so RIM will still have that. But let the rest of us have ActiveSync to get back in touch with our offices who dropped BES and have no reason at all to go back.
    02-23-11 05:15 PM
    BIS is not comparable to ActiveSync. bIS is fast only when it sees a change in the mailbox. If your mailbox is IMAP, that works well. If its POP3, then an ActiveSync connection will deliver the mail factorably faster than BIas (which polls).
    BIS also needs RIM to make huge changes to Sync deleted items, calendar, and contacts. forget tasks and notes...
    BIS truncates emails and attachments.

Lastly, if you don't setup an ActiveSync account, the process does nothing. No data usage or battery drain. No one is forcing you to use it. But try yo act like its bad because you want to stay stuck in last decade with BIS.

BESx is nonfactor to a consumer. Hardly anyone wants to run an exchange server from their house. For small businesses BESx just adds int more component that can destabilize a server, requires patches, and requires additional administration and training.
    02-23-11 07:11 PM
    Leave the US, I just spent $1.25/MB all last week
    02-23-11 08:35 PM
    how is it you get free tethering but get dinged for roaming?
    02-23-11 08:52 PM
    how is it you get free tethering but get dinged for roaming?
    If you left the US I bet you'd get dinged for Roaming too
    02-23-11 09:55 PM
    If you left the US I bet you'd get dinged for Roaming too
    id expect international roaming charges also but not within the home country. I thought cell providers tried to get away from those type of things
    02-23-11 10:06 PM
    AFAIK, ActiveSync is only the phone's connection to a Corporate Email Exchange server. It has nothing to do with a PC. The PC's Outlook email client would have direct network access to the Outlook Exchange Server - and that would only be the work PC anyway.

I posted this yesterday in a similar thread, but I'll copy it here too (with a few changes).

I know that RIM doesn't want to give up on BES, but I think they are going to lose that war - if they haven't already.

I know that our firm dropped BES about 2 years ago once all the partners switched to the iPhone. BES was just too costly for our office with only about 20-25 people who connect to the office email with their phones. I'm one of them, but I make do with my Torch (and Pearl 8100 before that) connecting to OWA over my own BIS, and then do syncing with DM at my computer to update contacts and calendar stuff.

Sure, RIM put out BES Express just for companies of our size. Yet, even offered for free, the damage was already done. The bosses won't hear of anything related to BlackBerry anymore. And I'm sure there are many other smaller companies out there who feel the same way.

I have a business-type phone (and it is by choice, I don't want an iPhone or Android phone), but I can't connect to my office the same way as others in my office can with their iPhone. Something is wrong there.

Give us "consumers" ActiveSync out of the box and those other phones will have one less thing to say they have over BB. All the big major corporations and government agencies will still want the added security of BES, so RIM will still have that. But let the rest of us have ActiveSync to get back in touch with our offices who dropped BES and have no reason at all to go back.
    I think most people are missing the point of BES, sure it has extra features compared to BIS but BES is mostly about controlling what your employees can do with the company phone, it's about protecting the employees but also protecting the employers from the employees.

Forcing a password on as soon as the light turns off on the device is a prime example, if employees had the choice to disable it I suspect 99% of them would do it.

02-24-11 03:17 AM
    id expect international roaming charges also but not within the home country. I thought cell providers tried to get away from those type of things
    There wes never any national roaming in Europe, that must've been US only.

02-24-11 03:19 AM

I totally agree with your view.

09-13-11 10:54 AM
    I used Exchange Hosting with this PlexHosted company and easly sync my outlook with smartphone.
    09-13-11 09:47 PM
    04-11-12 12:32 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD