Hi,

I have a Bold and an (older) Curve, both from Rogers.

I'm going to Europe soon, and I wanted to have an unlocked device that I could slip a SIM card into once I get there.

I live in Waterloo, ON (RIM headquarters) and there are a couple of places in town that claim to be able/willing to unlock a Rogers BB for a small amount of money. I have read thru old threads, but I'm not 100% certain on a couple of points:

(1) Is there any risk of bricking the device if it doesn't work?
    (2) If it does work, how would I be able to tell? I don't actually have a SIM card from another carrier that I can just plug in.
    (3) Do I need to adjust any of the internal settings afterwards?

Thanks for any enlightenment!

-- Mike
    11-16-10 08:21 AM
    No real risks involved with it. When you enter the unlock code provided to you following the instructions (you'll get them with the code) you'll know if you have entered it correctly not to worry. Nothing to adjust after - once its unlocked its unlocked.
    11-16-10 09:22 AM
    (1) Is there any risk of bricking the device if it doesn't work?
    (2) If it does work, how would I be able to tell? I don't actually have a SIM card from another carrier that I can just plug in.
    (3) Do I need to adjust any of the internal settings afterwards?

Thanks for any enlightenment!

-- Mike
    1) only if you use all ten tries it will perm. lock the device to the carrier it was intended for. but will not brick it

2) when you go into the MEP screen all the options will show "unlocked". in a locked state one of them shows "locked"
    3) shouldn't need to. If anything you might have to adjust the APNs.
    11-16-10 09:28 AM
    Thanks I'll give it a try!

-- Mike
    11-16-10 12:00 PM
    2) when you go into the MEP screen all the options will show "unlocked". in a locked state one of them shows "locked"
    Just a bit of clarification. When you type MEPD on the SIM card option you will see "Disabled" (unlocked) or "Active" (locked)
    If NETWORK shows as disabled it is unlocked.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 11-16-10 at 12:18 PM.
    11-16-10 12:16 PM
    Just a bit of clarification. When you type MEPD on the SIM card option you will see "Disabled" (unlocked) or "Active" (locked)
    Thanks Ken. It's been a LONG time since i've unlocked a phone.
    11-16-10 12:30 PM
    It can also say "inactive" when the phone is unlocked.

One other setting you might need is Manage Connections> Mobile Network Options> Network Technology, make sure it's set to either "Global" or "GSM/UMTS" The phone defaults to Global, but if you have any issues that would be the first step.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-16-10 01:27 PM
    Here is a pic of an unlocked phone:

11-16-10 08:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD