NOOB? I have been hearing alot about memory leak and would like to know how to check it on my storm 9530 running .132
    04-27-09 11:33 PM
    a memory leak is just when your file free is diminishing rapidly for no apparent reason.. like an app or something is just draining the file free..
    04-28-09 12:47 AM
    Cough, facebook, cough - haha, facebook is a memory hog, that's for sure

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-09 05:51 AM
    you can run meterberry on your storm and it will show your memory fluxuations...
    04-28-09 06:47 AM
    And believe me, you will know if you have a memory leak. For example, I recently opened a web browser on my Bold that shall not be named and it ran my file free memory to 0mb after only maybe 20 minutes of browsing. THAT is a memory leak. Normally, there will be fluctuations in your memory, but if it's that drastic then there's a problem, most likely with an app.

04-28-09 07:50 AM
    Beware of memory hogs: bb app world, viigo and others. With app world, I went from 17 megs free memory to 3 megs free memory in 20-30 minutes. That's major memory leak. If you ever get one, check your apps for the culprit. Memory Eye helps detect memory leaks.

04-28-09 08:02 AM
    None other than Meter Berry of all things.
    04-28-09 08:06 AM
    chances are, if you're phone has been hit with a memory leak you'll see the signs - messages disappearing before you delete them, call log empty even though you didn't clear it, icons disappearing (- like your browser!).

go to options> status to see what your memory is at. depending on your phone and the OS, below 12 to 5 mb is dangerous. mine gets sluggish after hitting 9 mb, although has yet to start deleting things since i upgraded to OS 4.5 till about 3 mb

a battery pull (while the phone is on, pull out the battery for about a minute. put it back in and restart your phone) should temporarily remedy it, but you should see what's causing the memory leak (ie leaving too many programs running, programs that are memory hogs, etc) to prevent it in the long run.
    04-28-09 08:42 AM
    So I guess the question now is which one, Meterberry or Memory eye? and where can I find it? Can I find it for free? Thanks for all the info!
    04-28-09 01:10 PM
    My MB is showing 23.1 MB right now! is that good or bad?
    Last edited by Slurry69; 04-28-09 at 03:54 PM. Reason: looked under the wrong status
    04-28-09 01:14 PM
    OK ok One more question for now! what is the proper way to close an application once I am done using it so it is not still open and draining memory?
    04-28-09 01:23 PM
    OK ok One more question for now! what is the proper way to close an application once I am done using it so it is not still open and draining memory?
    hit the blackberry button and go to close.

also facebook drains mine all the time.....but i need that app!!!
    04-28-09 01:56 PM
    ^^That's very important. To maximize performance, make sure you're properly closing unused apps.
    04-28-09 03:33 PM
    Thanks guys! But what about my 23.1 MB free is that good or bad? and which memory leak app is best to use Meterberry or Memory eye? and where can I find one of these for free?
    04-28-09 03:56 PM
    I wouldn't worry about the actual MB number. Just as long as you don't experience any huge lag when accessing/using apps, I wouldn't put too much stock into the number.

That being said, 23.1MB sounds just fine.
    04-28-09 03:58 PM
    I do have some lag here and there! would it be a good idea to check app memory while it is lagging to find out how bad it really is
    04-28-09 04:56 PM
    I'm fairly new to BB and am having memory leak problems as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I deleted several apps I don't use & have upped my app memory at startup from 10MB to about 15MB. After a couple of hours, it generally drops to around 4MB or less. Before the deletions, it would routinely drop to 0 for hours, until I did a batt pull.

All my apps are closed out, except for the 5 mentioned above, the Application Center, and Location Profiler. I reset the Profiler update rate to 15 minutes, and I'm sure that app is eating up alot of memory. I am using Meterberry also. Anyone know how much memory it takes up ? Thinking of deleting it if the memory loss outweighs the benefits of having it.

Is there anything else I can try to regain memory ? I've read that themes eat up app memory as well. Is that just when they are activated, or does just having them downloaded affect it also ? I went form 16 themes to the 7 I like best.

Also, why can't I close the Application Center ? I've tried hitting 'close' several times, but it still shows up when I hold down the BB button.

Sorry for all the questions, but going from Palm platform to BB has been a big adjustment for me...lol. Love the Storm for the most part tho...

Thanks...
    Phil
    Last edited by philkoz; 05-10-09 at 05:39 AM.
    05-10-09 04:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";