I'm just wondering how I can get GPS to work when I'm outside the Verizon Network? For fun I travel in areas that Verizon does not cover and was trying it the other day. From what I can tell, . . . it looks like I need to have a continuous connection to BB Maps though the Verizon Network for my GPS to work on this phone. So then, if I'm outside the network, GPS does not work. Now can't I just simply download these maps to my Storm, instead of having this continuous online connection to them? I don't have to download every single map of the entire world. Just the areas I need. No wonder it drains the battery so bad. I have the Garmin GPS.
    04-02-09 11:03 AM
    well the gps may work, but you need data (network coverage) for the map to load up new areas
    04-02-09 11:55 AM
    There is an app out that does use GPS without having to be in the network. But..... I cant remember where I seen it at?? I will see if I can find it again and update this post. Sorry.

Ok, it was in the CB app store. Its called TopoExplorer for Blackberry. Not sure if its exactly what you are looking for cause its a Topo map but this is the only one I have seen that works outside of the network. Hope it helps.
    Last edited by carduchi; 04-02-09 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Update post.
    04-02-09 12:27 PM
    well the gps may work, but you need data (network coverage) for the map to load up new areas
    Yes, that is why I had asked if I can simply download these maps?
    One of the areas I'm talking about is in the rural country of the Texas Hill Country where Verizon has no service.
    Last edited by JaysonStorm; 04-02-09 at 01:09 PM.
    04-02-09 12:53 PM
    So, any other answers out there?
    04-02-09 05:13 PM
    Data should work fine outside the network (as long as you are connected to "some" network).

As far as dl'ng maps to the phone, I do not think there are any options. I would just use a standalone GPS for such areas.
    04-02-09 05:19 PM
    Data should work fine outside the network (as long as you are connected to "some" network).

As far as dl'ng maps to the phone, I do not think there are any options. I would just use a standalone GPS for such areas.
    Like I said above, . . . my GPS did not work while I was out of the Verizon network. If I connect to some other network, I'll have to unlock this phone and start up a plan with another carrier.
    04-02-09 05:33 PM
    call verizon cs?

being rude to us isn't getting you the help you want.
    04-02-09 05:59 PM
    Who said I was being rude? I was just stating a true problem that I am experiencing. I've already been in contact with Verizon. They say to contact BB, . . . then BB says that it's all Verizon's fault.
    Also, I'm not too sure if I really want help from someone who can't even read the entire problem first. Now that was me being rude. hahaa Have an awesome day.
    Last edited by JaysonStorm; 04-02-09 at 08:52 PM.
    04-02-09 07:12 PM
    What, . . . no one has an answer . . . I am amazed?
    04-02-09 08:52 PM
    Well from what I know offline maps aren't available at the moment, unless you use TrekBuddy or Mobile GMaps which are somewhat difficult if your a noob.
    04-02-09 09:49 PM
    What, . . . no one has an answer . . . I am amazed?
    Currently all mapping programs need a Data connection to download the maps as you travel. The GPS is still working it just isn't showing you any map data so it would appear that it is no longer working.
    04-02-09 09:59 PM
    runs ok on the storm, still some bugs to work out though. They have an extensive wiki and forums on their site wiki.trekbuddy.net / TrekBuddy - J2ME application for GPS tracking

Look in the forums for a link to version .84, the latest posted download (.83) wouldn't get gps fix.

There are websites that will let you export from google maps or you can use other programs like oziexplorer to prepare maps from any raster source. Check out the "tools" section in the wiki or forums. Creating your own maps can be a bit unwieldy at first. See attached screenshot for trekbuddy running on my 9530 with the Washington FAA sectional chart loaded.
    04-27-09 08:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";