Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,023 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #26  

Default Re: How to build a successful smartphone.

Fruit Ninjas has over 51, 000, 000 million downloads on the android store and iOs is probably the same if not more.

I think another person made an excellent point, it's better tk have something there and not need it that not have it there at all. Because someone else might want it, this satisfies more people.

51 million downloads is a high demand...

That's just one example.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,023 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #27  

Default Re: How to build a successful smartphone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nine54 View Post
    It's what I might prioritize as well, but as the OP said, what you and I prioritize may ultimately represent a niche market. And isn't it better to have those apps and not use them vs. not having them at all? This is my biggest BB 10 concern, which has grown after reading some of the reviews of the Lumia 920 and HTC 8X. Great hardware and a great OS just might not be enough to overcome an app gap. And it's not so much about having the currently popular apps available as it is about having developer mindshare in the future... What happens when The Next Big App is available only for iOS and Android? Or when your favorite store or web site has a mobile app only for iOS and Android?

Will I even want or need those apps? Maybe not. But, they they make for a complete, compelling ecosystem and essentially are marketing tools in and of themselves. And perhaps more importantly, they're what help prevent you from being left out when the next truly innovative app does come around. We're only scratching the surface of the mobile paradigm right now.

Though I'm constantly tempted after flirting with Android, the BlackBerry workflow and experience is what has kept me on the platform. And BB 10 looks like it might nail it on the UI front, at least for people like me. But I worry that BB 10 will be a lot like pre-OS X Mac OS (before Macs became "cool"): it will be the best platform that can't run anything. For the record, I'd debate whether pre-OS X Mac OS was really better than Windows, but you get the point.
    Exactly; extremely well put.
  3. cgk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    7,709 Global Posts

Default RE: How to build a successful smartphone.

This list misses "either have a massive cashpile for advantage in the supply chain or own your supply chain" - not very sexy I know but critical to the success of the only two profitable companies in the sector.
    Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,524 Global Posts

Default How to build a successful smartphone.

Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    My bad, it's called Frui Slash
    Ah, so something in the same vein as "angry farm" then. People don't generally accept the knock-off apps as a substitute for the real thing from what I've seen.

I fully expect BB10 to have fruit ninja though, halfbrick is on RIMs list of partners.
    Go get some apps!
    DocuShortcut - Free homescreen shortcuts
    Symptom Journal - Track medical symptoms and causes (Built For BlackBerry)
    SkinEd for Minecraft - Create and share Minecraft skins
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,194 Global Posts
    PIN
    Wooden Shoe Like to Know;)

Physical keyboard and removable storage too!

Is 36 the new "old"? Gotsta have me physical keyboard and micro SD!
    Nothing is so common as is the goal to be remarkable
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    ing for the fjords

Quote Originally Posted by berryaddictnoza View Post
    My quick list of features for my "work" phone;
    -Integrated OS (ability to easily move data around from one app to another, apps work well with each other)
    -Copy, Cut, Paste
    -Multi-tasking
    -Communication (voice, messaging, email)
    -Ease of Data input. for me that means physical keyboard (maybe the BB10 London will change this)
    -The ability to get things done quickly (BB keyboard shortcuts!)
    -Durable design, able to take some abuse
    -All day battery life
    The average smartphone user couldn't give a dip about most, if not all of these things, and most of the smartphones produced reflect that. I agree with you that any smartphone has to be competitive in all areas, RIM became obviously aware of this, hence BB10.
    Don't forget a good calender/scheduling integrated app that fully uses your contacts and messaging and proper live two-way sync between desktop and mobile.

Cheers,
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    723 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vorpalz View Post
    Don't forget a good calender/scheduling integrated app that fully uses your contacts and messaging and proper live two-way sync between desktop and mobile.

Cheers,
    All the platforms have good calendars, but, yes, integration is seriously lacking in most, hoping BB10 brings BlackBerry to the next level.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12