Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 102
Like Tree43Likes
  1. BlackStormRising's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,240 Posts
    PIN
    PIN it on Big Boy
    #51  

    Default Re: How BlackBerry saved my life.

    Tools vs Trolls

    bungaboy likes this.
  2. sydsam's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    327 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #52  

    Default Re: How BlackBerry saved my life.

    Quote Originally Posted by shupor View Post
    Same thing happens on my 9900 on the Tmobile USA network. I am able to switch from mobile network to wifi mid-call but not the other way around without the call being dropped.

    Don't quite get how all you wrote translates into BlackBerry saving your life
    It's not the point I'm making, mate. The wifi antenna in iPhone is always prioritised, so you need to constantly remember to switch it off, in order to be sure you will receive cellular calls. And if you receive a call while connected ti wifi network, and then decide to walk and talk, once you are out of the wifi router range, and the network gets disconnected, iPhone starts searching for new networks to connect to, and that is when your cellular call is most certain to drop.
  3. westcoastit's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    175 Posts
    #53  

    Default Re: How BlackBerry saved my life.

    Quote Originally Posted by sydsam View Post
    It's not the point I'm making, mate. The wifi antenna in iPhone is always prioritised, so you need to constantly remember to switch it off, in order to be sure you will receive cellular calls. And if you receive a call while connected ti wifi network, and then decide to walk and talk, once you are out of the wifi router range, and the network gets disconnected, iPhone starts searching for new networks to connect to, and that is when your cellular call is most certain to drop.
    I have never experienced this. Do you have any articles that can back this behaviour up because I have personally gone from my apartment, lost the wifi signal while waiting for the elevator, taken the elevator down, and gone for a walk without ever dropping a call. I've done this multiple times, and in reverse as well, going from the outside, up the elevator, and into a wifi location. No drops.
  4. stephen_az's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #54  

    Default Re: How BlackBerry saved my life.

    Are people never going to give up on these Apple is the source of all evil posts? You didn't like the iPhone - so what? What does any of this have to do with BB devices? It is just anti-Apple rant. If this constitutes saving one's life, it also must be a pretty meaningless life. THEY ARE JUST PHONES! Elevating this sort of BS to life and death is just embarrassing on too many levels to address....
  5. sonic7777's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    78 Posts
    PIN
    282CA0FD
    #55  

    Default Re: How BlackBerry saved my life.

    Quote Originally Posted by sydsam View Post
    I've been a BlackBerry user since 2007, my first BlackBerry was a Curve, and then I moved on to Bolds which I used until late 2011. All this time I had a strange feeling towards the iPhone users, I could never understand what is up with that crowd. And generally speaking I could never understand what is up with Mac users either. Apart from the designers and video editors, I could never grasp why the would you use one. But at one point it seemed that everyone was switching to iPhone. And this is where the mockery began: "What? How can you not have an iPhone?", "You don't have an iPhone??? How do you view pdf's??? What???", "What??? What do you mean you don't have a compass?" and only later "What??? You are not on Instagram??Pffff", "Do you even have maps in that thing???" and on and on. Same here pal. Whereever I work, people look and same thing..."What you dont have an iphone!" "Yeah I prefer BB". Thankfully they understand my point. Everyone has a right to their choice but RIM is mine. I only use BB smartphones and that's it.
    Some carriers sites are odd. They list Blackberry seperate from smartphones. (A BB is a smartphone.!) I myself witll only use a BB from now on. This is my second BB and my second smartphone, it's been the best. Besides I like the RIM apps for free as well.

    So finally when my upgrade time came along in the late 2011, I gave in and got myself an iPhone 4S. And oh-my-god. It wasn't like somebody chopped of both of my hands with a very blunt axe, it was much worse. I would go over the entire experience point by point, please bare in mind that this is coming from a blackberry user taking things for granted. (BIASED)

    Calling/Reception/Antenna
    In one sentence: "It's non existent." It's not just that reception is appalling, it's everything that comes with it.
    Connected to wifi and walk out of router range while talking= Dropped call.
    Reception not in full bars you making a call, even if you get connected = dropped call.
    Have a wifi antenna on, while out and about? Most likely most people that call you will go straight to voicemail. I literally had tens of voicemail notifications per day without my phone ringing once, while I was in network coverage.
    But to be honest, even when all is well and you have all the bars, and the wifi antenna is not trying to connect to anything there is in the vicinity. The call quality is so bad, you might as well just not bother calling anyone ever.
    Once you get over this there is
    Notifications/Push/Sync
    And this is where BB really shines over iPhone. Let's take out the genius of little red light out of the equation, and just look at how things are pushed through. When you are a BlackBerry user you get used to the idea, that if anyone has sent you an sms, email, what's app message, facebook message or whatever else you have connected to your device, you would know if not immediately then in the next 5 minutes (that is when outage is taking place or you are caught in the middle of natural disaster). So how about several hours for pushing through an email? Or 2 days for whatsapp message? I'm not saying this happens on the daily basis, but it is more than common with iPhone. Getting to your messages is not an easy task either. You have to do 2-3 times more actions to do the same task when compared to bb. And then there is that paradigm Thorsten talks so rightly about - in and out of apps. There is no integration between apps there is no sync to google or facebook, to such an extent that we got used to when using a bb. The first two hours I spent with iPhone where like somebody just switched off my life. And there is definitely no app for that. You are left isolated staring at that shiny thing in your hand with a half-mad grin on your face not knowing whether to cry or laugh. The joke is on you.

    Apps
    Once you get used to the idea, that nobody can contact you, and you can't contact anyone either. Might as well connect to wifi and download some apps. This is where iPhone is at its best, right? Well ye, there are loads of very high quality apps. But that's the thing, in order to get an iPhone to be even half-way as productive as bb, you have to download tens of apps, most of them paid for. And this is when the "in and out" madness begins, it's not just inconvenient it is a full time job. In my opinion this is the only explanation to high download volume at appstore, people are trying to do something to get out of misery experience of using an iphone.
    Locked screen new whatsapp message, responding to notification takes to the conversation you are notified about, right? Wrong. You go to last conversation open.
    Want to attach anything to an email you are currently writing? Nope, can't be done. Go back to file, picture, or whatever you want to attach and start over.
    Want to dial last number in the call log:
    bb: basically 2 actions: Unlock screen, dial button press twice.
    iPhone:
    Wake, unlock, phone button, recent, dial button.
    And this is the moment when you start using your iPhone primarily for taking pictures of food and putting them on instagram.

    After 11 months of pure torture that iPhone brought to my life. After numerous questions from my colleagues whether I have taken a vocation. After several fights with my girlfriend, who felt increasingly neglected and ignored. I went to Vodafone store and got myself the cheapest bb they had, the magnificent Curve 9220. Within minutes my mind was at ease, blackberry is still the best phone there is. It has an extremely snappy and intuitive OS, which would run circles around iOS and Android for that matter. The reception is outstanding, and call quality is superb. Everything is pushed through, and the light is shining brightly red. It just works.

    So if you are even considering switching to iPhone, talk to your friends that have used a bb before they switched to iPhone or just slap your face. Don't be as stupid as I was, there is nothing there. To be fair there is one department where Android (I am a proud owner of Nexus 7) and iOS are obviously better - the maps. Maps are a pain on bb. But even the maps are now gone with the new iOS 6.
    So relax, sit back, and think of BB10. It is going to be awesome.
  6. SK122387's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,983 Posts
    PIN
    2b9a3c0a
    #56  

    Default Re: How BlackBerry saved my life.

    What do you mean "What is up with Mac users"?? I've never thought once about switching to an iPhone (I did get last year's iPod touch and this years model too though), but I don't see the same sort of fanaticism within Mac users that exists with iPhone users. I got the Mac Book when it went aluminum a few years ago, and recently got the new retina display one. A lot of people buy Macs because they "just work," in the same sense that BlackBerrys do. I think, if anything, OS X and BlackBerrys have similar themes... whereas iOS is extremely basic, and Windows on a PC and Android phones are more "open" (and complicated), OS X and current BlackBerrys are both somewhere in the middle.

    I try to tell everyone I know who's buying a new computer to at least consider a Mac, because I've not once got a virus, I've not once had it crash, and whether people on here like to admit it, Apple makes great products (though the iPhone has been out since 2007 and I've chosen a BlackBerry with every upgrade, and the iPad has been out for a while and I bought the PlayBook back when it was full price).

    A funny thing about the Apple people though, you're right in that they can't fathom that some people don't have iPhones. I remember making a few appointments at the Apple store, and ironically enough, my Apple ID is my @tmo.blackberry.net email address, so when they send me a receipt and confirm that's my email address, there is a sense of..well, I don't know what, but I can kind of tell they're thinking, "this guy has a $2000+ computer and the latest iPod, I wonder why on earth he doesn't buy an iPhone." I spend my money wisely, and will always spend on BlackBerry
    Sean

    Twitter: @SeanKelleher
  7. berriac's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    258 Posts
    #57  

    Default How BlackBerry saved my life.

    Quote Originally Posted by SK122387 View Post
    I try to tell everyone I know who's buying a new computer to at least consider a Mac, because I've not once got a virus, I've not once had it crash, and whether people on here like to admit it, Apple makes great products
    agree...I ask my family/friends to at least have a look at a mac, before buying windows. After using Mac's for a couple of years, windows feel like ....
  8. Nikki_G's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    35 Posts
    PIN
    259DEA0F
    #58  

    Default Re: How BlackBerry saved my life.

    I have a BB and an iPhone 4S and to be honest they cannot be compared. They do what they do indivdually and they do it well.

    My iPhone is for personal use, so it has all my music, photos, apps etc on it and with most of my friends having iPhones the iMessage system is really useful and saves me money on texting. I like it, simple as that.

    My BB 9320 is for 'Cadet use', so for calls from other cadet staff, e mails from them, using out in the field, connecting via wifi hotspot with the PlayBook etc etc. Essentially it's a business phone and it does the job brilliantly and it doesn't overly matter if it gets bashed around a bit (which is does when diving into hedgelines and hitting the deck when forced into firing positions) My BB has literally saved a life, a cadet injured himself while in the middle of a training range on Dartmoor (turned out to have a broken tib and fib). with the BB I was not only able to call the ambulance service, but also able to send them accurate location information for the air ambulance to follow!

    The only thing I don't like about the BB phones these days is they come across as being cheaply made and plasticey which they never used to be (my first BB was obtained in 2000) but I guess that's the price you pay for mass production and cheap price points.

    I do get cadets asking me for my BBM pin mind because most of them have BB's. They usually get an answer something along the lines of 'naff off' ;-)

    Both phones do what they do well, and people will always have their preferences, but to me they cannot be truely compared because they are two different beasts
    Thanked by:
    sydsam (11-04-2012) 
    sydsam likes this.
  9. sonic7777's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    78 Posts
    PIN
    282CA0FD
    #59  

    Default Re: How BlackBerry saved my life.

    I agree sydsam. Just that some people out there think when they have
    Problems with an app or something they think it's the phone. Or they associate possible problems that might not even happen as though if they choose a BB it will have problems. I myself live in canada and I like supporting RIM
    Since it is canadian and I prefer a BB smartphone. The outtages that happened for example on the RIM. Network didn't affect me.
    It depended on who you provider was. Though no company is perfect, a recent example is toyota. I am looking forward to BB 10 and know RIM is going in the right direction. Apple OS is a unix I think, and RIM is using a version of unnix/linux. Yes BB phones have quite a few advantages.
  10. sydsam's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    327 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #60  

    Default Re: How BlackBerry saved my life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki_G View Post
    I have a BB and an iPhone 4S and to be honest they cannot be compared. They do what they do indivdually and they do it well.

    My iPhone is for personal use, so it has all my music, photos, apps etc on it and with most of my friends having iPhones the iMessage system is really useful and saves me money on texting. I like it, simple as that.

    My BB 9320 is for 'Cadet use', so for calls from other cadet staff, e mails from them, using out in the field, connecting via wifi hotspot with the PlayBook etc etc. Essentially it's a business phone and it does the job brilliantly and it doesn't overly matter if it gets bashed around a bit (which is does when diving into hedgelines and hitting the deck when forced into firing positions) My BB has literally saved a life, a cadet injured himself while in the middle of a training range on Dartmoor (turned out to have a broken tib and fib). with the BB I was not only able to call the ambulance service, but also able to send them accurate location information for the air ambulance to follow!

    The only thing I don't like about the BB phones these days is they come across as being cheaply made and plasticey which they never used to be (my first BB was obtained in 2000) but I guess that's the price you pay for mass production and cheap price points.

    I do get cadets asking me for my BBM pin mind because most of them have BB's. They usually get an answer something along the lines of 'naff off' ;-)

    Both phones do what they do well, and people will always have their preferences, but to me they cannot be truely compared because they are two different beasts
    Thanks, for such a great story. You are absolutely right. iPhones are good for music and photos. But your story proves my point even better than mine, if you want get things done, it has to be a bb.
  11. MartyMcfly's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    3,032 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,064 Global Posts
    #61  

    Default How BlackBerry saved my life.

    Quote Originally Posted by sydsam View Post
    But your story proves my point even better than mine, if you want get things done, it has to be a bb.
    So why are different industries deploying iPhones? Why is it so hard for people to accept that you can be just as productive (if not more) by using the iPhone.


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
  12. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,432 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #62  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyMcfly View Post
    So why are different industries deploying iPhones? Why is it so hard for people to accept that you can be just as productive (if not more) by using the iPhone.


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    I think very few companies are deploying iphones, they allow personal iphones to be used for work. BOYD
  13. MartyMcfly's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    3,032 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,064 Global Posts
    #63  

    Default How BlackBerry saved my life.

    Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    I think very few companies are deploying iphones, they allow personal iphones to be used for work. BOYD
    That doesn't matter, the devices are being used for productive tasks. I lol every time someone says "tools not toys", meanwhile IOS/Android is being used in real estate, the medical field, nfl, major airlines, restaurants, the military and the government sector. BB's are good productive devices, but to act as if they are the only devices for important tasks is quite silly, especially when there's data out there proving you wrong.


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
  14. sydsam's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    327 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #64  

    Default Re: How BlackBerry saved my life.

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyMcfly View Post
    That doesn't matter, the devices are being used for productive tasks. I lol every time someone says "tools not toys", meanwhile IOS/Android is being used in real estate, the medical field, nfl, major airlines, restaurants, the military and the government sector. BB's are good productive devices, but to act as if they are the only devices for important tasks is quite silly, especially when there's data out there proving you wrong.


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Nobody is acting as they are the only productive devices. No need to marginalise opinions, really cheap trick. All that is being said here is that they are better, not exclusive.
  15. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,432 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #65  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyMcfly View Post
    That doesn't matter, the devices are being used for productive tasks. I lol every time someone says "tools not toys", meanwhile IOS/Android is being used in real estate, the medical field, nfl, major airlines, restaurants, the military and the government sector. BB's are good productive devices, but to act as if they are the only devices for important tasks is quite silly, especially when there's data out there proving you wrong.


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    It does matter, the employee's phone the employee's responsibility if anything happens to it.

    And prove me wrong on what? I never made a comment on productivity but personally I find most touch screen users extremely slow doing things on them and always very slow to reply. Some actually call me back instead of replying to my text.
  16. thecsman's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    653 Posts
    #66  

    Default Re: How BlackBerry saved my life.

    Quote Originally Posted by sydsam View Post
    I'm sorry, you do what everyday?
    He checks his email every 5 to 10 minutes to see if something has arrived. xD
    Thanked by:
    sydsam (11-04-2012) 
    sydsam likes this.
  17. thecsman's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    653 Posts
    #67  

    Default Re: How BlackBerry saved my life.

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyMcfly View Post
    So why are different industries deploying iPhones? Why is it so hard for people to accept that you can be just as productive (if not more) by using the iPhone.


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    You still have not showed us how much productive can you be with a leisure phone compared to a business phone.

    Please expand on this.
  18. MartyMcfly's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    3,032 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,064 Global Posts
    #68  

    Default How BlackBerry saved my life.

    Quote Originally Posted by thecsman View Post
    You still have not showed us how much productive can you be with a leisure phone compared to a business phone.

    Please expand on this.
    I'll keep my 2cents in my pocket.


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
  19. doc-hill's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    45 Posts
    #69  

    Default How BlackBerry saved my life.

    I'm the last one in my company with a BB but the first one they call when help is direct needed.... go figure!

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    sydsam likes this.
  20. pantlesspenguin's Avatar

    Posts
    5,680 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,822 Global Posts
    PIN
    7901FC6B
    #70  

    Default Re: How BlackBerry saved my life.

    Quote Originally Posted by thecsman View Post
    You still have not showed us how much productive can you be with a leisure phone compared to a business phone.

    Please expand on this.
    Versatility. One can definitely have an iPhone or Android as a work phone, just like someone could have a BlackBerry Just for calling and texting. The user defines how they will use a device. The tools are all there on other devices just as they are on BB. You can have a screen set up with your most needed work info right at your fingertips. Like this, for example.

    Everyone, everyone, stop fighting! Look unto me! I possess the blue flag! I wield the power infinite! The universal fabric is mine to unravel! My every thought becomes reality! Mountains will fall! Seas will boil! Day will be at night! People will...run...chicks'll dig me!
  21. sonic7777's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    78 Posts
    PIN
    282CA0FD
    #71  

    Default Re: How BlackBerry saved my life.

    True it's up to a person what they choose. My Bold 9900 is great. Well made and great software. One thing I have noticed is if a person has it plugged into the computer defragment the phones memory as well as the memory card on the phone and it increases response time quite a bit. As well (As with any mobile phone) try to keep apps to a minimum as this can slow the phone down. I uninstalled localpedia because it always had a process running and slowed my phone down lots. Any apps that do that beware of.
  22. mikeo007's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,142 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,529 Global Posts
    #72  

    Default Re: How BlackBerry saved my life.

    Quote Originally Posted by sonic7777 View Post
    True it's up to a person what they choose. My Bold 9900 is great. Well made and great software. One thing I have noticed is if a person has it plugged into the computer defragment the phones memory as well as the memory card on the phone and it increases response time quite a bit. As well (As with any mobile phone) try to keep apps to a minimum as this can slow the phone down. I uninstalled localpedia because it always had a process running and slowed my phone down lots. Any apps that do that beware of.
    Flash memory doesn't need de-fragmentation.
  23. sydsam's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    327 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #73  

    Default Re: How BlackBerry saved my life.

    Quote Originally Posted by pantlesspenguin View Post
    Versatility. One can definitely have an iPhone or Android as a work phone, just like someone could have a BlackBerry Just for calling and texting. The user defines how they will use a device. The tools are all there on other devices just as they are on BB. You can have a screen set up with your most needed work info right at your fingertips. Like this, for example.

    http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...4-11-36-42.png
    The only problem with it (I use Android on Nexus 7), is that it can get really laggy. Other than that it is way superior to iOS.
  24. MartyMcfly's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    3,032 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,064 Global Posts
    #74  

    Default Re: How BlackBerry saved my life.

    Quote Originally Posted by pantlesspenguin View Post
    Versatility. One can definitely have an iPhone or Android as a work phone, just like someone could have a BlackBerry Just for calling and texting. The user defines how they will use a device. The tools are all there on other devices just as they are on BB. You can have a screen set up with your most needed work info right at your fingertips. Like this, for example.

    http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...4-11-36-42.png
    Exactly...People on this board refuse to face reality.
  25. sydsam's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    327 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #75  

    Default Re: How BlackBerry saved my life.

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyMcfly View Post
    Exactly...People on this board refuse to face reality.
    Yeah, it's you, mate.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How Futureshop saved my life!
    By malyfsborin88 in forum BlackBerry Bold 9930/9900
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-05-2011, 10:22 AM
  2. How a Blackberry Case SAVED MY LIFE
    By Wiltron in forum BBOS Phone Accessories
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-18-2009, 09:51 PM
  3. How a Blackberry Case SAVED MY LIFE
    By Wiltron in forum BlackBerry Bold 9000
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-18-2009, 09:51 PM
  4. my BlackBerry has saved my life
    By mariob in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xx
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-17-2008, 02:22 AM
  5. My Curve saved my life yesterday
    By Lost_Cosmonaut in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xx
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-16-2008, 03:32 AM

Posting Permissions