Versatility. One can definitely have an iPhone or Android as a work phone, just like someone could have a BlackBerry Just for calling and texting. The user defines how they will use a device. The tools are all there on other devices just as they are on BB. You can have a screen set up with your most needed work info right at your fingertips. Like this, for example.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...4-11-36-42.png
    Exactly...People on this board refuse to face reality.
    problem is, you can't do that with an iphone. my android is set up that way though, but it's a slider so I have a keyboard.
    11-04-12 05:29 PM
    Yeah, it's you, mate.
    Huh? I've stated numerous times that one can be just as productive using other platforms.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    11-04-12 05:42 PM
    I've been an iphone user since 08 with 3 different devices, the iPhone has never worked FOR ME as a phone, I got it for the browser, I needed a mobile Internet connection and it worked beyond my expectations in that regard. I have never owned a bb phone so I can't comment. I do have the playbook and my son has a 9900 which he loves. I have used his phone on occasion and find it a completely different experience over the iPhone, the bb is coming from a completely different perspective, it would be like comparing a Harley to a Ducati, A positive point for both companies is very little has been drawn from each others platforms which says alot for both apple and rim, I'm sure I'm missing something, but I'm commenting on what I know about them. I see alot of brand loyalty, which cannot be overlooked or discounted as fanatical and without merit. People don't react for no reason, some seem better at expressing why, but that doesn't make the others wrong.
    11-04-12 07:22 PM
    Well that usually isn't true. I did notice that there was far better response after defraging both. It's personal choice I think. In my testing though the videos played smoother (stored on my memory card. The new OS release 2108 is great. I found the battery life is excellent. If anyone wants to try what I did there isn't anything unsafe about defraging a memory card. My card has gone through quite a lot of use. Even though the phone and card memory are flash the boot time of my phone was improved and as said the videos play great as well. It's not for everyone that's for sure but trying to be a help.
    11-05-12 01:14 AM
    Versatility. One can definitely have an iPhone or Android as a work phone, just like someone could have a BlackBerry Just for calling and texting. The user defines how they will use a device. The tools are all there on other devices just as they are on BB. You can have a screen set up with your most needed work info right at your fingertips. Like this, for example.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...4-11-36-42.png
    Being productive means doing things fast to me, nothing to do with how you set your screen up, yours seems like a big waste of space to me(personal opinion)

The use of shortcuts in any app makes a BB much more productive.

I'll use Facebook as an example for an app, as soon as you open the app all functions are available trough a shortcut:

F-friends
    R-refresh
    C-chat
    P-check in
    W-your profile
    H-home
    T-top
    B-bottom
    U-upload
    S-search facebook

And much more, and not only that, they work from anywhere within the app, are you in your profile and want to go to a friend's profile? Simple, just press F.

Now that's what I call being productive with an app.

Edit, I'll add a few more

Z-update your status
    N-nottifications
    M-messages
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 11-05-12 at 01:55 AM.
    11-05-12 01:35 AM
    Being productive means doing things fast to me, nothing to do with how you set your screen up, yours seems like a big waste of space to me(personal opinion)

I'll use Facebook as an example for an app, as soon as you open the app all functions are available trough a shortcut:

F-friends
    R-refresh
    C-chat
    P-check in
    W-your profile
    H-home
    T-top
    B-bottom
    U-upload
    S-search facebook

And much more, and not only that, they work from anywhere within the app, are you in your profile and want to go to a friend's profile? Simple, just press F.

Z-update your status
    N-nottifications
    M-messages
    LOL. Is BB10 going to have them keyboard shortcuts? Will you be consistent and BB10 less productive?
    11-05-12 04:51 AM
    LOL. Is BB10 going to have them keyboard shortcuts? Will you be consistent and BB10 less productive?
    Yes, of course, if it doesn't have shortcuts I will be staying with BBOS in the form of the rumored S model.
    11-05-12 04:58 AM

F-friends
    R-refresh
    C-chat
    P-check in
    W-your profile
    H-home
    T-top
    B-bottom
    U-upload
    S-search facebook

Z-update your status
    N-nottifications
    M-messages
    We have the same definition of productive, but we go about it in different ways. You can remember all your shortcuts, whereas I need visual cues. Everything that I have on my screen is a shortcut as well, such as a direct dial icon where one tap and my phone is dialing that person, one tap and I can update my calendar, etc. I see those as shortcuts as well.
    Tre Lawrence and mikeo007 like this.
    11-05-12 07:08 AM
    We have the same definition of productive, but we go about it in different ways. You can remember all your shortcuts, whereas I need visual cues. Everything that I have on my screen is a shortcut as well, such as a direct dial icon where one tap and my phone is dialing that person, one tap and I can update my calendar, etc. I see those as shortcuts as well.
    Yes true, but that's on home screen, not within apps.
    The other thing that helps is how BB apps connect with all other apps, and how you can send info from one to the other without ever opening the other app. I'm not sure how Android apps behave but I know iphone apps doesn't.
    11-05-12 07:16 AM
    Yes true, but that's on home screen, not within apps.
    The other thing that helps is how BB apps connect with all other apps, and how you can send info from one to the other without ever opening the other app. I'm not sure how Android apps behave but I know iphone apps doesn't.
    Belfast, I want you to once -- just once -- concede that another platform can do something effectively. Maybe not for you, but for someone else. LOL.

And yes, Android apps do interconnect (if i understand what you are asking). The obvious advantage is that there are more cross-platform apps to work with.
    11-05-12 07:23 AM
    Belfast, I want you to once -- just once -- concede that another platform can do something effectively. Maybe not for you, but for someone else. LOL.

And yes, Android apps do interconnect (if i understand what you are asking). The obvious advantage is that there are more cross-platform apps to work with.
    Sorry, it's not what I see around me, I see slow people on touch screen phones.

So can you send a GTalk message to Twitter and Facebook without ever leaving GTalk and without oppening Twitter and Facebook apps(example, could be any app)? I'm curious.
    11-05-12 07:34 AM

F-friends
    R-refresh
    C-chat
    P-check in
    W-your profile
    H-home
    T-top
    B-bottom
    U-upload
    S-search facebook
    Way back when in the early days of computing, there was a word processing program called WordPerfect. This was the industry leader before Microsoft Word. It had keyboard shortcuts up the wazoo, for example:

F1: Cancel and undelete;
    F2: Search;
    F3: Help
    F4: Indent
    F5: List
    F6: Bold
    F7: Exit;
    F8: Underline
    F9: End Field
    F10: Save
    F11: Reveal Codes
    F12: Block.

There were cottage industries of making keyboard templates, plastic cheat sheets with cutouts to help you remember these shortcuts. Was it productive? Sure, if you mastered the shortcuts after a training period. But then it would be a different set of shortcuts for other apps and you'd have to learn them all over again.

This is basically the "productivity" approach that you're proposing, an approach that has been abandoned by the rest of the industry.
    11-05-12 07:37 AM
    Way back when in the early days of computing, there was a word processing program called WordPerfect. This was the industry leader before Microsoft Word. It had keyboard shortcuts up the wazoo, for example:

F1: Cancel and undelete;
    F2: Search;
    F3: Help
    F4: Indent
    F5: List
    F6: Bold
    F7: Exit;
    F8: Underline
    F9: End Field
    F10: Save
    F11: Reveal Codes
    F12: Block.

There were cottage industries of making keyboard templates, plastic cheat sheets with cutouts to help you remember these shortcuts. Was it productive? Sure, if you mastered the shortcuts after a training period. But then it would be a different set of shortcuts for other apps and you'd have to learn them all over again.

This is basically the "productivity" approach that you're proposing, an approach that has been abandoned by the rest of the industry.
    Last time I checked a Windows Keyboard is still full of shortcuts.

I can't ever imagine a computer programmer or graphic designer not using shortcuts if they want to keep their jobs.
    11-05-12 07:44 AM
    Last time I checked a Windows Keyboard is still full of shortcuts.

I can't ever imagine a computer programmer or graphic designer not using shortcuts if they want to keep their jobs.
    Can you come up with examples that pertain to mobile devices?
    11-05-12 07:56 AM
    Sorry, it's not what I see around me, I see slow people on touch screen phones.

So can you send a GTalk message to Twitter and Facebook without ever leaving GTalk and without oppening Twitter and Facebook apps(example, could be any app)? I'm curious.
    You're around slow people then.

I don't use Gtalk, but there are apps that multi-share to most social networks. I can share to FB, Twitter, Gmail etc.

For example, I can open YouVersion, and share a verse to almost any social app on device.

I could also download an aggregator like Ping if I wanted.

Apps like Dropbox are even more interconnected. I can access it from my word processor, file manager or backup utility without leaving the connected app. This is priceless if you work with a lot of documents and a lot of people.
    11-05-12 08:06 AM
    Can you come up with examples that pertain to mobile devices?
    Every time you want or need to perform a task with maximum speed and efficiency, also known as being productive?
    11-05-12 08:08 AM
    Every time you want or need to perform a task with maximum speed and efficiency, also known as being productive?
    I think the issue is that you are unable or unwilling to understand that there are numerous, effective ways to get stuff done, and that folks might use those other ways and be more effective than you.

Take for instance the "slow touchscreen typing" that you say you see. Would you believe that the fastest touchscreen typists are faster than physical keyboard typists?
    11-05-12 08:13 AM
    I think the issue is that you are unable or unwilling to understand that there are numerous, effective ways to get stuff done, and that folks might use those other ways and be more effective than you.

Take for instance the "slow touchscreen typing" that you say you see. Would you believe that the fastest touchscreen typists are faster than physical keyboard typists?
    I agree with fast typers, I see a few of them but everything else is tap, swipe, swipe,swipe tap, swipe, swipe,swipe and so on. Saying that, most people on touch screen never seem to correct their autocorect mistakes which is especially frustrating for me when clients are emailing or texting me addresses, wrong un none existing addresses that is.
    11-05-12 08:32 AM
    I agree with fast typers, I see a few of them but everything else is tap, swipe, swipe,swipe tap, swipe, swipe,swipe and so on. Saying that, most people on touch screen never seem to correct their autocorect mistakes which is especially frustrating for me when clients are emailing or texting me addresses, wrong un none existing addresses that is.
    If you see people doing numerous swipes and taps to get to their information then they just haven't set their phone up to be the most productive for them. It would be the same if you saw someone with a BB jumping to home to get out of a program, scrolling through the app menu to get to things, etc. Plus if people aren't correcting their autocorrects that again would be user error and not platform error. One could be breezing along on the BB keyboard and mistype and be too rushed (or lazy) to correct it as well.
    11-05-12 09:16 AM
    This is a really excellent post. Thanks for sharing this. I too, share the exact same sentiments as you. I could never get used to the iPhone, because it made it so unproductive. As beautiful as the interface was, it was highly inefficient. The constant swiping, tapping and menu transitions drove me nuts. I was using a Palm Centro before I got my first iPhone in 1998. After the novelty wore off, I realised just how terrible the iPhone was (for my use) - calendars were horrible, contact management was a joke, and forget copy & paste. It was just too difficult to do. Whatever the iPhone could do, the old Palm Centro could do and more (except for media playback).

I then decided to try BlackBerry (after Palm looked like it was gonna close shop), after a fellow Treo 650-using colleague switched to the Bold 9000 in 1998. In Singapore, BlackBerries are very expensive, so I got the cheapest one available to me, the Curve 8520.

Immediately I realised just how efficient the BBOS (OS5 at the time) was. Emails and messages were delivered rather quickly, and with the keyboard, it was so much easier to select and copy text from say Memopad to an email etc. I use my phone to take notes for meetings etc, and then transcribe those notes into emails for my work team of fellow teachers.

I just couldn't do that as easily on an iPhone - I'm sure others can - just not me.

Even today, nothing beats the BlackBerry in terms of efficiency and reliability. As most (90%) of people in Singapore use Android & iPhone, I have to use Whatsapp to communicate. And even that is bad on iPhone and Android. Some of my colleagues don't receive Whatsapp messages until after 2 days. Or at least their iPhones don't.

I am very happy with my 9810, and am looking forward to BB10 when it is launched next year.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    11-05-12 07:48 PM
    Same here! I had a friend I worked with and he didnt know what the poynt application was or that it existed. When he was explaining he was going to get an iphone, I told him the functionality you want is to be able to look up a business or person and copy the information to your phone book. Poynt does that I told him. Plus with the Documents to go application I can view everything I need on my phone if need be. (I actually converted some things that were pdf to office documents and I dont need adobe reader for much at all anymore.
    I tried someone's iphone once just to see what it was like, tried actually twice to different iphones and well.......not for me. I prefer a keyboard and touchscreen. I am also very used to how thing work in BB. I can adjust things with ease. In ending I look forward to RIM producing BB10 and that we all need to keep in mind, (No there isn't an app for everything!) Nor should there be, somethings you don't need or want an app for. Though RIM has more apps now than they had 2 yrs ago. Seems that every app that people on other smartphones (I dont just mean iphone) that RIM has them as well on AppWorld.
    11-06-12 01:01 AM
    At the end of the day, what people need is something they use 100% of the time. For some, the iPhone will do. For others, it's Android. For yet others, it's BlackBerry. There is no better product, only one that suits you best.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-06-12 05:44 AM

I don't think it's about being unwilling or unable to accept. It's about the fact that most of productivity tools are embedded into the BB OS. While iPhone and Android rely on third party developers, to bring this type of productivity to the OS. I think this is the root of the problem.
    11-06-12 08:56 AM
    I don't think it's about being unwilling or unable to accept. It's about the fact that most of productivity tools are embedded into the BB OS. While iPhone and Android rely on third party developers, to bring this type of productivity to the OS. I think this is the root of the problem.
    Is it a problem or a positive? Having choice as to how we are productive can be seen as a good thing since it means something different to everyone. Third party developers bring us variety. This is something that, hopefully, BB10 will bring that it has been limited in previously.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-06-12 09:04 AM
    Is it a problem or a positive? Having choice as to how we are productive can be seen as a good thing since it means something different to everyone. Third party developers bring us variety. This is something that, hopefully, BB10 will bring that it has been limited in previously.
    From this perspective this is definitely a positive. However I still think, that some elements of "productivity tools" must be embedded in the os. Like the blackberry hub for instance. And that what sets bb apart from everyone else, it doesn't really need apps. Except a map app, a very good map app.
    11-06-12 10:31 AM
102 ... 2345