I don't know about the Droid phones, but Apple's phones integrate with their computer and home entertainment systems.
    In addition to my Q10, I own a 5s phone and for the first time, I used it last night to listen to some music from my computer through my stereo system.
    I'm not a computer music fan, but I have to say that I was impressed with the fact that I could access my digital music files and play them though my stereo system via my phone.
    And, via the Apple TV, I can play video files on my flat screen from my iOS device.

I know that a number of high end home automation manufacturers (Lutron Homeworks, Crestron) have apps for control from the iPad.
    Apple is now expanding the use of their handheld devices into the home automation market with their own software.

Google's purchase of Nest is also an expansion into that same market.
    What's nice about the Nest, is that it's cross platform and can be controlled from both a Droid or iOS.
    A phone that can go beyond business use and has environmental control, lighting control, security and other control capabilities (like opening your car door and starting it) is the wave of the future.
    And that future is happening now, while Blackberry 10 appears to be playing catch up, they need to address this in order to gain or maintain relevance.
    08-30-14 01:15 PM
    Thank you for that inspiring bit of information!
    You can find apps for your BlackBerry that'll do all that AND cook you breakfast.
    Let's see the other guys do THAT!!
    Carjackd likes this.
    08-30-14 01:28 PM
    I don't know about the Droid phones, but Apple's phones integrate with their computer and home entertainment systems.
    In addition to my Q10, I own a 5s phone and for the first time, I used it last night to listen to some music from my computer through my stereo system.
    I'm not a computer music fan, but I have to say that I was impressed with the fact that I could access my digital music files and play them though my stereo system via my phone.
    And, via the Apple TV, I can play video files on my flat screen from my iOS device.

I know that a number of high end home automation manufacturers (Lutron Homeworks, Crestron) have apps for control from the iPad.
    Apple is now expanding the use of their handheld devices into the home automation market with their own software.

Google's purchase of Nest is also an expansion into that same market.
    What's nice about the Nest, is that it's cross platform and can be controlled from both a Droid or iOS.
    A phone that can go beyond business use and has environmental control, lighting control, security and other control capabilities (like opening your car door and starting it) is the wave of the future.
    And that future is happening now, while Blackberry 10 appears to be playing catch up, they need to address this in order to gain or maintain relevance.
    Oh boy!

Posted Pantlessly via My Kick @ss Z30!!!
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    08-30-14 01:31 PM
    Hmm I'll have you know that BlackBerry 10 can also do what you just said. It's only software.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    08-30-14 01:34 PM
    Hmm sir, I can do all that with my BlackBerry. Some are android ports, but I control my house, garage, etc

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 01:35 PM
    Do you know a number of high end home automation companies services run on QNX? Jeez, BlackBerry is just missing the boat completely being the backbone that runs this stuff. Not necessarily high end, but Rogers home automation in Canada runs on QNX.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 01:42 PM
    I don't think BlackBerry need to follow Apple. Apple have been successful by designing their products to look cool and designing a whole Apple ecosystem whereby all apple equipment interfaces with Apple equipment. They target consumers with high disposable income.
    If you consider India and Africa where BlackBerry are still popular. Consumers have gone straight to smart phones bypassing PCs, laptops net books and land lines.
    The beauty of BBOS was that there was no need for a PC to back-up your phone to. All you needed was one device - a BBOS phone, for all communication needs and to secure important data. With a BBOS phone you can run a small business from your pocket. No need for an office - BlackBerry did this first - that's incredibly liberating in some parts of the world - in many ways its more of a game changer than anything Apple or Microsoft have ever done. Problem with bb10 is that although there's a bigger ecosystem - with need for pc to back up to the one device ecosystem is lost.
    Minhaaj Rehman likes this.
    08-30-14 02:29 PM
    ^
    Sorry but no, BlackBerry didn't invent the smartphone...

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 02:37 PM
    Here we go....... It's so easy.

Q10, N5, N10.
    08-30-14 03:26 PM
    Here we go....... It's so easy.

Q10, N5, N10.
    Yes, but go easy on him.

08-30-14 04:11 PM
    Droid user here.

I use BubbleUPnP app to do what you mentioned. Yesterday, I was able to stream music from my home pc to the Bluetooth stereo in the boat (at my cottage) . BubbleUPnP is one of the best apps I have. It is also able to pick up on my media library from my home wifi, so I could stream any content to my chromecast.

I'm sure this solution works as well as Apple, but a lot cheaper.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    08-31-14 12:14 AM
    Droid user here.

I use BubbleUPnP app to do what you mentioned. Yesterday, I was able to stream music from my home pc to the Bluetooth stereo in the boat (at my cottage) . BubbleUPnP is one of the best apps I have. It is also able to pick up on my media library from my home wifi, so I could stream any content to my chromecast.

I'm sure this solution works as well as Apple, but a lot cheaper.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    All controlled via my Control 4 System on the best Smartphone on the Planet my Kick @ss Z30

How BlackBerry is Missing The Boat For The Future Of Smart Phones-img_20140831_012943.png

How BlackBerry is Missing The Boat For The Future Of Smart Phones-img_20140831_013002.png

How BlackBerry is Missing The Boat For The Future Of Smart Phones-img_20140831_013059.png

How BlackBerry is Missing The Boat For The Future Of Smart Phones-img_20140831_013134.png
    How BlackBerry is Missing The Boat For The Future Of Smart Phones-img_20140831_013154.png

How BlackBerry is Missing The Boat For The Future Of Smart Phones-img_20140831_013231.png

anon(3732391) and Velocitymj like this.
    08-31-14 12:35 AM
    You're in the wrong neighborhood OP

Posted via CB10
    Breezygirl8 likes this.
    08-31-14 12:40 AM
    Apple TV is nothing but another proprietary Apple device forcing you to spend more money to get basic features that other manufacturers offer out of the box.

In the era of Miracast and DLNA, you don't need an Apple TV device, since most of the new TV sets have these two functions.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-14 12:46 AM
    BlackBerry isn't a smartphone.

It's a smarterphone.

Hehehe
    08-31-14 12:57 AM
    BlackBerry isn't a smartphone.

It's a smarterphone.

Hehehe
    But apparently not smart enough to acquire/win back customers. :-(

Posted from an ME173X
    08-31-14 01:10 AM
    Because they don't know it exists

Posted via CB10
    08-31-14 01:11 AM
    I stream video to my smart tv with no extra hardware from my Z10 using the play on feature or if using YouTube, just pair it via the mobile website. No miracast needed. Same with pictures etc. Sometimes I wirelessly use it with my XBOX One. I can control my Sky sattelite box from anywhere and almost had the Hive app working for my heating. I'm sure that'll be ok when we receive further Android enhancement in 10.3. So not sure what you're going on about.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3247 O2 UK
    08-31-14 01:24 AM
    But apparently not smart enough to acquire/win back customers. :-(

Posted from an ME173X
    BB10 is still growing. Slowly but it's still growing.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    08-31-14 01:26 AM
    Good try...

Posted via CB10
    08-31-14 02:04 AM
    As several recent analysts have pointed out, the iPhone isn't really a mobile device. Apple simply views the iPhone as a mini-computer with a wifi/cell connection. This limited perspective is why the Apple cloud is nothing more a consumer portal where you can store a few things.

Nothing personal, but mobile computing has moved beyond dinky little Apps and has started it's next journey forward. It involves cloud based solutions based on real needs. Every major company has developed a cloud strategy except one. That is Apple, they literally have nothing and everyone has started to notice.

So the question that needs to be asked is why Apple can't move forward. One could chalk it up to its cynical walled garden approach. But I think the problem is far bigger than people can imagine. I think it comes down to the inflexible nature of iOS, it's Linux based macrokernal and Apple's inability to recognize the importance of security. The problem with macro kernel designs is that any small change in coding has unknown effects throughout the entire operating system. As a consequence, the default is not to change the operating system. One would have to be blind, deaf and dumb to miss the lack of iOS innovation. Look at how BlackBerry in less than 2 years introduced BB10,blown by Apple, and is now considered the most advanced operating platform. The rate of BlackBerry innovation is quite stunning and even Wall Street has started to notice. It all comes down to QNX and it's micro kernel design. But security is really the big elephant in the room and Apple is paying a heavy price for their inattention. Without it, cloud technology/solutions are going nowhere and will always be beyond them.
    So my friend, it is Apple who is missing the mobile computing boat. Maybe that is OK for now but it is pretty clear people have start to notice. It is sort of why there is a big question hanging over their Sept 9th launch. Will the hardware advances be enough to cover up the other software issues?

Posted via CB10
    08-31-14 07:48 AM
    I don't think BlackBerry need to follow Apple. Apple have been successful by designing their products to look cool and designing a whole Apple ecosystem whereby all apple equipment interfaces with Apple equipment. They target consumers with high disposable income.
    If you consider India and Africa where BlackBerry are still popular. Consumers have gone straight to smart phones bypassing PCs, laptops net books and land lines.
    The beauty of BBOS was that there was no need for a PC to back-up your phone to. All you needed was one device - a BBOS phone, for all communication needs and to secure important data. With a BBOS phone you can run a small business from your pocket. No need for an office - BlackBerry did this first - that's incredibly liberating in some parts of the world - in many ways its more of a game changer than anything Apple or Microsoft have ever done. Problem with bb10 is that although there's a bigger ecosystem - with need for pc to back up to the one device ecosystem is lost.
    Blackberries aren't popular anywhere (selling less and less), and Apple sells 75 million iDevices per quarter (and growing). You also do not need any computer to any devices (iOS or Android). Blackberry never did anything at the scale of the Mac, or Windows, or smartphones, or digital media (itunes alone saved music, back in the day) or even the cloud.

A single data center from Google or Apple is more valuable than Blackberry as a company. If you took a look at WWDC and to a lesser extent I/O, you know the foundation has been laid by Apple for the next wave. Blackberry, the company, is totally irrelevant (financial and from an intelectual property POV). They are worthless.

This space should be about what they can do to change that, and instead there are users like you that post nothing more than lies/misinformation. You buy Blackberries because you think that they are hip.
    08-31-14 08:46 AM
    I think that's about enough of this thread. There are scads of other threads discussing whether BlackBerry is moving in the right direction or not.

Please move along.
    Carjackd likes this.
    08-31-14 09:16 AM