So from just looking over the forums for while, personal experience, internet searches, etc, here is what I see and this is all MHO:

- Blackberry loyalists: They will only buy blackberry with blackberry OS
    - Blackberry Have to Use: Business requirements keep them using BB cause the company uses a BES, or they need BBM, but would like to use another platform (I fall into this category)
    - Gone users: wish they had some BB functionallity back or to talk to BB friends; Do an internet search on Droid Blackberry Messenger or Apple Blackberry Messenger and you'll see lots of stuff come up.
    - Never used: My iPhone or Droid is better and the only thing you have is BBM.

A simple solution for RIM would be to make an Apple and Droid Blackberry client/app that would encrypt all the data in the app (e-mail, BBM, **** throw in a web browser just in case your in China or somewhere where Internet is filtered to get out) and charge $100 for it, plus the monthly cost of BIS service or the licensing on BES. May sound steep, but business users could easily expense it or get there company to pay for it cause they would save on hardware costs if employee bought his own phone, and based on how many people out there on other platforms want it, they would probably buy it. The hardware PIN on a blackberry is the encryption key and identification for service, but this could easily be done with software too, especially with the processing power in the Apple and Droid devices out now. Heck maybe even make it like a VM type instance where your buying a software only blackberry. All this should be technically not hard to do for RIM.

RIM is only on average selling phones at $300 per unit so I doubt there is a lot of profit per unit. I do think RIM would take an immediate handset sales hit in the US for sure, but would the $100 per user be more than profit per phone loss? Could they charge more or is this too much? Would Wall Street consider this a defeat and further demise of RIM or a smart move? I think this would give a lot of people what they want. RIM could also still work on higher end devices and this could take some pressure off of them while doing that, while still keeping the defectors hooked on the BIS/BES crack and maybe bring them fully back when/if they get a phone they want.
    08-27-10 10:32 AM
    God is that you?
    08-27-10 12:44 PM
    Makes sense. Now if only people would listen.

I think RIMS current method of profit maximaizing is what is causing some of the hate and discontent. Specifically, outsourcing the manufacturing of devices. Understanding the need for a profit margin, its a good business decision, but in the grand scheme of things, its hurting them. Historically it seems that devices manufactured (or assembled) in Mexico have a higher return rate than devices manufactured in Hungry, Canada, etc. The cost of having to repair/replace a device will eventually take its toll. Going with the lowest bidder is not always a good decision when you will have to pay double amount for repairs and refurbishment.

I could go on, but I think the points made.
    08-27-10 12:51 PM
    God is that you?
    thanks for the laugh, well said OP and nothing further. Wow...is that God?

Thnx, �Tripster�

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-10 12:51 PM
    Makes sense. Now if only people would listen.

I think RIMS current method of profit maximaizing is what is causing some of the hate and discontent. Specifically, outsourcing the manufacturing of devices. Understanding the need for a profit margin, its a good business decision, but in the grand scheme of things, its hurting them. Historically it seems that devices manufactured (or assembled) in Mexico have a higher return rate than devices manufactured in Hungry, Canada, etc. The cost of having to repair/replace a device will eventually take its toll. Going with the lowest bidder is not always a good decision when you will have to pay double amount for repairs and refurbishment.

I could go on, but I think the points made.
    I don't see outsourcing as an issue. Apple gets factories in China to make their stuff so there's really no difference.

And as for repairs, that is a very limited thing. If a screen or keyboard breaks it can be replaced, but if some of the chips go bad somehow it's a write off and repairs are not even considered. It costs too much to rework a board when you can just toss it out and make a new one.
    08-27-10 12:57 PM
    Good write-up. Yea I think RIM could make a significant profit from placing bbm on other platforms and then charging for it.

08-28-10 07:20 AM
    Charge $1-$3 and everyone will own it...but RIM doesn't listen to their customers nor are they innovative. I can't see it happening.
    08-28-10 08:57 AM
    If RIM listened we'd have a 4" screen replacement for the S2.
    Bye, bye RIM. Moving to Android - Droid X.
    08-28-10 11:05 AM
    very well said... all good points. Have been thinking about this for a while as well.
    08-28-10 11:06 AM
    RIM used to make a BB app for WinMo6, I never had a chance to use it though as I just switched to a BB device instead. Can't imagine it'd be too difficult to make a BB Droid or iThing app.

08-28-10 11:16 AM
    Would be good for those who cry about needing BBM.
    08-28-10 11:25 AM
    Although it could be a profitable option, I doubt they would want to open up their security to other platforms. Giving the ability to access their network to other devices opens up the possibility to more easily being hacked. There have already been enough security holes in iPhones and Android devices that could actually hurt RIM if someone was able to hack into their Android or iPhone app, or even monitor communication protocols from these devices.
    08-28-10 02:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD