hi guys,
    am using 8830. the GPS is not active on my phone. i do hv blackberry maps.
    when i go to options and click on GPS, it says gps source as NONE.

can any one help me if can download some s/w to activate my GPS.
    thnx,
    jagdisg
    07-19-08 08:44 AM
    Do you have a data plan?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-08 08:51 AM
    You don't need to download anything. You just need to enable the GPS in the Blackberry before you can enable it in BBMaps. From your homescreen, go to Options/Advanced Options/GPS/GPS Data Source: and select "Device GPS." Then it will be an option in BBMaps. Let us know if you need any more help.

You don't need a data plan to enable the GPS, but you will need it for BBMaps to be able to download maps.

Welcome to the forums!
    07-19-08 08:33 PM
    I'm having this same issue. There is no other option under GPS Data Source. Just "none".

What's going on?

**UPDATE: found the answer...must have keychain.***
    Last edited by nikowa; 07-22-08 at 10:07 AM. Reason: answer found
    07-22-08 10:04 AM
    I'm having this same issue. There is no other option under GPS Data Source. Just "none".

What's going on?

I can't see your carrier. If it's Verizon, then yes, you need an external GPS. To my knowledge, they are the only carrier who disables the internal GPS.

07-22-08 11:18 PM
    under "options" change "GPS services" from "911" to "Location On"
    06-25-09 12:12 PM

What's going on?

What's a ketchain cause I have the same problem

06-27-09 03:26 PM
    A Freedom Keychain 2000 is an example of an external GPS receiver. It receives the signals from GPS satellites and sends the location information via bluetooth to a BlackBerry. It provides GPS capability to devices that don't have an internal GPS or that have the internal GPS disabled.

06-27-09 05:31 PM
    Maybe VZW has changed something, because my wife just got her new 8830 World Ed. on Monday, and the gps works without a hitch. Finds location on maps, calculates routes etc. She just had to turn it on under the options/gps settings and select either 911 or location aiding (just like my 9530).
    06-27-09 06:56 PM
    Maybe VZW has changed something, because my wife just got her new 8830 World Ed. on Monday, and the gps works without a hitch. Finds location on maps, calculates routes etc. She just had to turn it on under the options/gps settings and select either 911 or location aiding (just like my 9530).
    Which app is she using? To my knowledge, only VZNav and BBMaps can use the internal GPS in a Verizon 8830.
    06-27-09 07:22 PM
    I was thinking I remembered that both the Storm and the 8830 are the only models in the VZW line that do not require an external Bluetooth GPS. I know the Storm for sure.

Some of the golf rangefinder apps work with all non-verizon BB's but only with the use of the...as they call it..."puck".

If you go to Nrange dot com it is one of the golf GPS programs for BB and goes into further detail on this.

I did not post a live link to it because I'm not sure if they are allowed.

BTW...By all accounts these Golf GPS programs are deadly accurate...though I have not personally tried it. When my other subscription runs out I do plan too.

Sorry for the tangent. LOL
    07-20-09 12:47 PM
    I have a Verizon 8830. The internal GPS only works with VZNav and BBMaps. I use an external GPS puck for other applications, but I have not used any golfing apps.
    07-20-09 01:36 PM
    I have a Verizon 8830. The internal GPS only works with VZNav and BBMaps. I use an external GPS puck for other applications, but I have not used any golfing apps.
    Yep. You're right. I just went and checked the web site and for both 8830 & 8330 you need the puck. OK without it on the Storm though.

Thanks
    07-20-09 01:44 PM
    You don't need to download anything. You just need to enable the GPS in the Blackberry before you can enable it in BBMaps. From your homescreen, go to Options/Advanced Options/GPS/GPS Data Source: and select "Device GPS." Then it will be an option in BBMaps. Let us know if you need any more help.

You don't need a data plan to enable the GPS, but you will need it for BBMaps to be able to download maps.

Welcome to the forums!

i'm not able to use it either. Can you please help for gps? It diplays NONE. no other option is available.
    07-27-09 12:58 AM
    I'm not familiar with Vodaphone, but it sounds like they may have disabled the internal GPS in the same manner as Verizon. Verizon enabled the internal GPS for BBMaps with OS 4.5 in December 2008. If you are not using OS 4.5, you could call Vodaphone and ask. Or just try it and see if it enables the internal GPS.
    07-27-09 06:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD